A/C only blows thru Defroster Vents | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C only blows thru Defroster Vents

My 02 Explorer Limited 4.6 started doing this a few weeks ago, but got real bad yesterday. Mine only does it under load, above 40 mph. Driving in town it never does it, but as soon as I get on the highway and gun it she starts to act up. A/C goes from the dash vents to the defrost vents. It was taking up to 20 seconds to come back.

After reading this post I think I have a vacuum pressure leak somewhere. I went to Home Depot and picked up a dowel that will fit inside the vent and it stopped doing it. I'll use that and then at payday I'll replace the EGR valve and other components. Glad I found this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the actuator by steering Wheel is for defrost!!!

Thanks for this post, I found out about the door in the front register before reading this post and had already used a soda straw to move the door. However I came here looking for the location of the actuator for this door. I took the advice here a looked on the left side by the steering wheel. WRONG, that is for the defroster door NOT the front register. The front (A/C) door actuator is on the RIGHT side. I did not see it there the first time I looked, but later looked up higher in line with the top of the door This is the one of the two behind the glove box, but up high and to the left a little bit for this one. When you change the control from off to A/C you can see the actuator moving, and also see right where the door arm is broken OFF. I then used the drill a hole in the broken arm method (with a dermal) and used a zip tie to fasten the two together. Works great!
Thanks for the info!!

Carl Fickling (copilotf4u)

Approximately how long is the dowel?

Fixed this with a new vacuum check valve. No guesswork.

Purchased for $10 here : http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=380402&jnid=2&jpid=0

20150912_183316_zps1hxkv9xe.jpg

20150912_183446_zpskpofs8zx.jpg

It is located here:
20150912_183827_zps3wilpeoo.jpg

Just pull it apart and replace it with the new one installed in the same direction and its done. 5 minutes including the test drive.
20150912_184032_zpsgej6c1sx.jpg

Actuator Door Itself?

Hi. I've read quite a few posts, in my hunt for the true solution to my problem. It has led to an aggravating week.

My mom's 2007 Explorer XLT has been blowing air through the defrost vents, not changing with the manual control. Mom was told to replace the blend door actuator, so she bought one at the local parts store - $60.

She procrastinated over fixing this, so I decided to do it. Found a video online that showed how to change the part out. Had to go buy a set of metric box-end wrenches - $40. Changed out the part...and resulted in nothing. Searched again and found another video that said a parts store actuator would not work, that I needed the actual Ford part. A trip to the Ford dealership and I had that part - $107. Changed it out...and yes...still did not work.

During all of this, I also took it in and had new tires put on, had the radiator flushed and filled - and found that the seal to the thermostat was leaking...had the seal and thermostat replaced. Next day heard a new noise and took it back to the shop - was told the serpentine belt was making the noise.

Today I had the serpentine belt and tensioner replaced. In the process they found the thermostat housing was leaking too (not just the seal that was already replaced). So, thermostat housing was replaced too.

Since I was already sitting there for half the day, I asked them to do a check on the ac and see if they could figure it out. They advised me that the blend door actuator wasn't the problem (as I learned it only controls temp) but that the recirculating door is broken.

So...all of the searches and being misinformed of the part that actually controls the air flow, resulted in a lot of frustration. Ford wants over $600 for the plenum assembly and I have been quoted 8 hours of labor at over $700...total of approx $1400 to fix the problem. I'm already out nearly $800 in parts I didn't need (Ford won't refund the blend door actuator that I didn't need in the first place) and repairs that ended up being needed, when I wasn't even having issues before I took the vehicle in for tires and a radiator flush! That doesn't even include the cost of the tires.

Can someone please explain where I need to stick the dowel rod? If you have a pic, that would be great. I understand the idea behind it, but am not sure how to get the dowel in the right place to open the stupid recirculating door.

As you can see, it has been a rough week and I need a little bit of guidance. While I am a handy girl to have around, all of these pieces of plastic are just making me think they need to be melted into a big ball of garbage :(

P.S. Sorry for such a long post!

Can someone please explain where I need to stick the dowel rod? If you have a pic, that would be great. I understand the idea behind it, but am not sure how to get the dowel in the right place to open the stupid recirculating door.

As you can see, it has been a rough week and I need a little bit of guidance. While I am a handy girl to have around, all of these pieces of plastic are just making me think they need to be melted into a big ball of garbage :(

P.S. Sorry for such a long post!

Here is a pic of the dowel in mine. It blends in really well sinse I painted it black. Most people don't even notice it unless I point it out to them.

If your door won't open at all, this may not work. The dowel keeps it from closing and sending the air to the defrost vents.

IMG_1591_zpsxeqbogaj.jpg

Here is a pic of the dowel in mine. It blends in really well sinse I painted it black. Most people don't even notice it unless I point it out to them.

If your door won't open at all, this may not work. The dowel keeps it from closing and sending the air to the defrost vents.

IMG_1591_zpsxeqbogaj.jpg

Thanks for this pic...I know the dowel will stick out the vent...I just don't know where to stick it inside? What am I aiming for? Sorry...it may seem pretty simple to guys who have fiddled with these parts, but I only know there is a door, not any real description of it.

A/C onlu blows thru Defroster Vents

I have my 1/4" dowel inserted at bottom of the 2nd vertical row of the left console vent. Push it thru until it contacts the hanging vent door. You should be able to feel it hit the door and push it back into the closed position. Again, a 12" dowel should be sufficient. It can always be cut off so that it doesn't stick too far out

Remember that when you want the defrosters to work, you have to pull the dowel out a bit, turn the fan speed control down to off or to the first click, and move the vent control knob to defrost. Once the air stops blowing thru the console vents , then you can increase the fan speed setting to the desired level.

Honestly I just pushed mine in as far as it would go and then cut the excess off. It does go in pretty far.

I have my 1/4" dowel inserted at bottom of the 2nd vertical row of the left console vent. Push it thru until it contacts the hanging vent door. You should be able to feel it hit the door and push it back into the closed position. Again, a 12" dowel should be sufficient. It can always be cut off so that it doesn't stick too far out

Remember that when you want the defrosters to work, you have to pull the dowel out a bit, turn the fan speed control down to off or to the first click, and move the vent control knob to defrost. Once the air stops blowing thru the console vents , then you can increase the fan speed setting to the desired level.

Thank you! I was not sure if I would be aiming for a small target in a dark space, or if it would be easy to hit the door with the dowel. I have seen pictures of more than one type of door and some are really small. I will work on it tomorrow and cross my fingers ;)

Let's try it again with the engine running and the fan speed set to third level and the A/C function engaged. There should be no air coming out of the center console vent. Push the dowel straight in, keeping it level and it should contact the door with about 1" of the dowel still sticking out of the vent. You will immediately feel the cool air blowing from the center vent. If this doesn't happen then the only explanation is that your door is completely broken off and laying at the bottom of the casing. Never heard of that happening with this particular door. Good luck Luna 1970

Worked

I have a 2004 & 2007 Ford Explorer. The 2004 stopped blowing out the vents, Ford fixed the problem by installing an new evaporator Asy $1733.59 Nov. 2012. Today Jan. 2016 my 2007 a/c stopped blowing out the vents, did an online search and found this web site. The dowel rod fixed the problem at no cost. Great web site.

So I had the same problem with ac not coming out of any of the front vents (left/center/right) and took to the dealership. They quoted $1700 for a full replacement of the plenum assembly. The part is about $400 and the labor $1300 because they have to rip the entire dash apart to put it in. Ridiculous. I was pretty panicked until I read these posts. It sounded like you guys had the same issue, so I thought I'd try the dowel method. Went to Lowes and $1 later had my fix. Worked like a champ. Doesn't even look that bad (my wife wants me to spray paint it black).

dowell.jpg

Thanks again. You guys saved me about $1699.

Just did this. Stuck a strip of wood in and door opened, and stayed open. Didnt even have to leave the stick in. Cant use defrosters now but oh well. Thanks

Brilliant

So I had the same problem with ac not coming out of any of the front vents (left/center/right) and took to the dealership. They quoted $1700 for a full replacement of the plenum assembly. The part is about $400 and the labor $1300 because they have to rip the entire dash apart to put it in. Ridiculous. I was pretty panicked until I read these posts. It sounded like you guys had the same issue, so I thought I'd try the dowel method. Went to Lowes and $1 later had my fix. Worked like a champ. Doesn't even look that bad (my wife wants me to spray paint it black).

dowell.jpg

Thanks again. You guys saved me about $1699.

OK, let's get you straightened out. the stick is 3/16" in diameter and 7 3/4 " long. Place it thru the bottom of air vent approximately 1 1/2 inches from the left hand side. Push it at a slight angle to the right from straight in and you show feel it hit the door. Go back and read my post in this thread for switching the air to defrost and back again. "A/C for the PEOPLE

Thanks for this pic...I know the dowel will stick out the vent...I just don't know where to stick it inside? What am I aiming for? Sorry...it may seem pretty simple to guys who have fiddled with these parts, but I only know there is a door, not any real description of it.

did you ever fix this ? I have the same problem and actually fixed it myself. if you need some help, doctor.steve@hotmail.com

2006 Ford Explorere XLT- I used a 1/4 inch x 38 inch dowell, shined a flashlight in the center vents and watched how to push the door open (it appears to be one long door across both vents). The door is spring loaded so you have to give it a good push. I then marked and cut the stick so about 1/2 inch sticks out.

What I'm not sure of, when I want to use the heat, do I leave it in? Also, this truck will be in upstate NY this winter, I assume I have to insert and retract the stick as needed for the defroster and the heat??

Does anyone know, when I want to use the heat, do I leave the stick in holding the door open?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi PCunningham 42,
The answer is yes. I tried it yesterday on my 2007. Down here in FLA we don't use heat too much, so I never included
that function in the title to the thread.
A/C and Heat to the People!

Back