• Register Today It's free!

Explorer vs escape

Toucan

Reaction score
City, State
BELIZE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Need some advice here. I am being offered a deal with a 2010 Ford Escape. I have been hunting for another Explorer say between a 2010 to 2012.

Can anyone make a brief pros and cons re: the Escape over the Explorer.

Used word "deal" because the price is very low for a vehicle.!!

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

power, size, fuel economy and tow rating I don't know of any other differences.... the explorer has the escape beaten is all but MPG.... I know I have a hard time getting in and out of the escape.... and the escape is really just a FWD but the rear wheels assist when the fronts slip.... it is in reverse from the conventional 4wd/awd setups in 4th and down gen explorers.... 5th gen is the same as the escape since all these newer suv's are pretty much just Taurus/Fusion drive lines... I really dislike uni-body vehicles ...the new escape,edge,flex and 5th gen explorer are hardly trucks at all

I have driven both and the Escape is very uncomfortable to ride in.

Why the escape hate? I love them, doesn't tow as well as my 2nd Gen x. Or have as much cargo room. But if it fits your needs then it makes more sense than an explorer. Better gas mileage, probably cheaper insurance, and cheaper purchase price.

It's not hate, just that some of us cannot sit comfortably in them for very long because the older models are not designed for tall/big individuals. Besides, no post has been negative regarding the model they have just pointed out why they don't work for that particular individual.

BTW sorry to see that you found out the hard way what a pile of poop the chevy spark is.

2010-2012 Explorers -

You are talking about 2 generations here.

2 different animals.

It's not hate, just that some of us cannot sit comfortably in them for very long because the older models are not designed for tall/big individuals. Besides, no post has been negative regarding the model they have just pointed out why they don't work for that particular individual.

BTW sorry to see that you found out the hard way what a pile of poop the chevy spark is.

I just don't see how they're not comfortable? I think it is. I honestly considered buying a 4cyl escape instead of my turd Chevy or old ranger. I'm only 5'10" so not tall but my buddy has one and he's 6'4" or so. He likes his escape more than his parents caddy. Got another friend with a hybrid escape, he's about 6' even. Loves it more than his old rav4.
Not much of a "truck" but they make a great commuter/DD

Its all good. I took it in for the final repair attempt... Notes say they test drove it and found no problems. Yet the paper work states it left with the same mileage it came in with.
Pathetic. The throttle pedal sticks, at 18,000 miles they're lucky I haven't crashed and sued them. Came very close a few times though

Why the escape hate? I love them, doesn't tow as well as my 2nd Gen x. Or have as much cargo room. But if it fits your needs then it makes more sense than an explorer. Better gas mileage, probably cheaper insurance, and cheaper purchase price.
OP asked for pros and cons.
Since when is this considered "hate"?

Ok, yes, I did ask for pros and cons.

From what I am reading there are 2 things to consider.
1. Front wheel drive - not to keen on that!!!
2. And inside space vs the Explorer.

whichever does not have the ecoboost engine

unless you plan to only keep it a couple of years

"Ecoboost" not sure I understand lol,
I think my next vehicle will have to last a while. At 67 not running around too much!!!

That's the reason why I have been looking for a low mileage vehicle.

its ford's turbocharger

they have to try to make these vehicles get better mileage to meet the government imposed standards - and so people can afford to drive their vehicles when politicians drive gas prices to $4.00/gallon - the turbocharger boosts mileage and power but adds complexity and another point of possible failure

might be a great idea - ford is betting their soul on the technology - and i hope they are right - i have not researched it much but i did read where a ford mechanic was saying there is no ford approved way to clean the intake system

my explorer is 20 yeard old - i doubt any ecoboost engines will be on the road in 20 years

Ecoboost is something new to ford but the jap cars have been adding forced induction to smaller displacement engines for years many of which have lasted many miles as long as you dont turn up the boost... Just to add a low 6psi you need stronger internals so these engines have the potential to take a beating... But more will be clear when somebody turns up with a 200k 3.5L f-150, 99-04 lightning, 03-04 cobra or GT500.... All have very strong robust strong lower ends pushing 8psi stock

He is looking at a 2010 Escape and that did not come with the Ecoboost turbo. I have a 2013 Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost and absolutely love it. It is a rocket and will give my 2007 Mustang GT a run for it's money. It has had 5 recalls though, which was a pain but the dealer has been good in getting them done quickly. I too am wondering about the longevity of the motor, but I take good care of it from a maintenance prospective and don't drive it harshly. I guess only time will tell.

its ford's turbocharger

they have to try to make these vehicles get better mileage to meet the government imposed standards - and so people can afford to drive their vehicles when politicians drive gas prices to $4.00/gallon - the turbocharger boosts mileage and power but adds complexity and another point of possible failure

might be a great idea - ford is betting their soul on the technology - and i hope they are right - i have not researched it much but i did read where a ford mechanic was saying there is no ford approved way to clean the intake system

my explorer is 20 yeard old - i doubt any ecoboost engines will be on the road in 20 years

Oh, dear LORD!!! You sound as if turbocharging is a new technology that Ford invented and called it "Ecoboost"! Almost every semi-tractor on the expressway is turbocharged, as are most HD pickups. The only real difference with recent gas-turbocharging is combining it with direct injection, just like is done with diesel-turbos. But using forced injection to boost performance and/or fuel economy is nothing new.

I drove an '89 Ford Probe GT (Mazda engine, 2.2L turbo) for 10 years. 35mpg on the highway, and I could beat a 5-liter V8 Camaro from a stoplight (of the same vintage). I only sold it in 2005 because accessory items were getting expensive to replace. But the powertrain was running like a top. I've been wondering why stupid American OEM's were not using turbocharging sooner and at higher rates. The only reason was because stupid Americans wanted there big SUVs with V8s, and were still deluded into thinking "there's no replacement for displacement".

Time will tell, but I think Ford has the perfect replacement for displacement.
(and no, I do not work for FoMoCo).

He is looking at a 2010 Escape and that did not come with the Ecoboost turbo. I have a 2013 Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost and absolutely love it. It is a rocket and will give my 2007 Mustang GT a run for it's money. It has had 5 recalls though, which was a pain but the dealer has been good in getting them done quickly. I too am wondering about the longevity of the motor, but I take good care of it from a maintenance prospective and don't drive it harshly. I guess only time will tell.

Good points. If you floor a V6 Escape from every red light, don't expect it to last as long as someone that drives it moderately 90% of the time, and only nails it 10% of the time. Some for any engine, forced-induction or not.

Thanks brakeman, saved me the 15 minutes that I would have had to take to respond to sloop. I loved my father's 1986 Mustang SVO (purchased it used in the early 2000's and only kept it for a year), but we could never get the reliability out of the turbo (typical problems associated with the older turbo setups). Man was it a fun ride at autocrosses. However, like already mentioned, todays Ford turbocharged systems are leaps above where they were back then and have already shown that an ecoboost engine on an F150 can go 200k miles get completely disassembled, and everything still be in spec. on the engine.

i know turbocharging is not new - ford is the one calling it ecosavetheplanethaveyourcakeandeatittoo - what is new is the number of engines ford has put on the road with turbos - and the consumer that is buying them

maybe i made a bad assumption on that he wanted - i thought that was reliability - adding a turbo does add complexity - with complexity comes added points of failure and birthing pains - and ford HAS had birthing pains with this technology - and it has not lived up to claims

fuel injection was a big step forward - i did not want to be the owner of one in its early days - i think turbos are in their early days - glad we have brave souls willing to blaze the trail to a reliability technology - i am just not that guy - i thought the op was not one either

i'm guessing that replacing a turbo is going to cost more than a water pump - if you have one that is not under warranty and needs replacing...well, its the price you pay for blazing that trail

maybe the op should buy one with a nitro kit - just a thought

2010-2012 Explorers -

You are talking about 2 generations here.

2 different animals.

Sloop, maybe you missed this post way back at #6 early on. No reason to even be talking about ecoboost anymore since the OP doesn't even need to be worrying about it. No ecoboost on the 2010-2012 Escape models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have been looking at both the Escape and Explorer..Both are are very popular vehicles in my neck of the woods.

Since I take trips from Miami to Queens New York I most likely will go for a CPO 2012 Explorer as I want something bit larger when am out there on I-95 surrounded by 18 Wheelers.

If I did not take long trips I would probably go for the Escape.

I would not get a Ecoboost either as when I am home Miami Beach is 24/7 gridlock so carbon issues would definitely be a issue for me..I am lucky to get up to 10MPH when moving.

Back