Brake caliper seized | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake caliper seized

Well, after 5 days; my service advisor texted me saying that because the TSB is only applicable to vehicles under base warranty of 3 yrs /36,000 miles and my current mileage 40k? excludes me. I brought up that the document he gave me said nothing about mileage and he pointed out that TSBs are bulletins that are put online to inform customers and shops for any issues out and they don't cover issues as a recall would. I told him that when he gave me copy of (what he presented to me as) the TSB I searched online and found nothing and if that was the case why didn't I get ANY notifications of TSBs for my 2010 Fusion which I bought new. He said FMCdealer.com is where I could view these bulletins or any other but upon looking into it, that is a website for ford employees only. He aplogized and pointed me to www.fordproblems.com and NHTSA # 10056207

So basically I'm back to square one. . First it was the gas nipple that broke. (recall) Then it was the seat cover clips breaking off. (they fixed it) Next was one of the TV headrest cables was causing blurriness. (they fixed it) Then the battery died. (out of pocket) It's been one thing after the other. The sunroof is also making a rattling sound at low speeds and they can't pinpoint it. The whole reason I bought a CPO was to avoid these types of problems.

I think I'll be taking you up on that offer afterall [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]. I'll send you a PM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My caliper went on my 11 Ex. Told it was a brake issue and therefore a wear part. Said I would have to pay for it out of my pocket. Calipers shouldn't **** the bed after 2 years. This is a defective part. Junk parts on a junk vehicle. JUNK.

The dealer is correct when he says that TSB's are only done free while the vehicle is under the factory warranty or an ESP. I believe that owners are only advised of recalls and not TSB's. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect. I had the phantom/random windshield wipe TSB done on my 2011 Limited and it was only because of information I found here. I never received any notice of it. That and a defective front right sensor were really the only problems I had with the Explorer. I thought it was an excellent vehicle.

Peter

Well for one thing caliper seizing is a SAFETY issue and should be brought to the attention of the Better Business Bureau and NTSA. And no calipers are NOT a wear item. The the brake pads and rotors are the wear item not the calipers themselves.

I understand that TSBs are not like a recall but keep in mind that I bought this Explorer 10 MONTHS AGO as a certified pre-owned. What are they certifying?? That I'll have trouble and they won't cover it? I could've gone to a no-name dearlership and saved thousands of dollars but I opted to buy it from a reliable dearlership.

And yes, brake pads are a wear and tear but not calipers or caliper mounts. Is your chassis or brake line a wear and tear? it's deffective or broken but don't blame it on wear and tear. I would understand if I drove this SUV on the beach or lived up north where they dump salt on the road regularly but I live in FL and have only owned it for 10 months. Which means it should've been checked when they were "certifying it".

Here is what is covered by the Ford CPO 1 year 12,000 mile warranty for brakes:

BRAKES
• Anti-Lock Brake Module and Sensor
• Backing Plates
• Brake Booster (Power)
• Calipers
• Combination Valve
• Master Cylinder
• Metal Lines and Fittings
• Parking Brake Linkage and Cables
• Retainers and Clips
• Self-Adjusters
• Shaft (Brake Pedal)
• Springs
• Wheel Cylinders

So, lets put to rest the theory that calipers are wear items. They are not. Pads and rotors are.

What are they certifying??

They're certifying that somebody pencil whipped a x..-Point Inspection Checklist, and slapped a slightly higher used price on your vehicle. Beyond that, it means nothing in terms of reality.

Sometimes they come with extended warranties, sometimes not. Sometimes they are powertrain only, sometimes not.

In short, it's marketing at its finest.

When buying a used car, you are better off paying for an independent 3rd party mechanical inspection. Good luck getting a dealership to agree to this. A private party, maybe.

I'm not buying this northern climate BS. I have run an explorer and fusion in northern and southern alberta, kept them clean, and still seize random calipers. (While sorta random, both were driver rear)

Dealer dealt with the Explorer, so I can't say how bad the bolts and such were, but when I took the caliper off the fusion it was like butter. There was zero corrosion showing, no penetrating oil needed, etc. just a seized caliper likely from a crummy boot letting crap in.

Fortunately was a relatively easy fix, (gotta love the move to bolts from the old slides that would slip a million times trying to get them out) and I may just proactively change the one on the other side for good luck before it seizes.

The funny part is I don't burn brakes, have probably put 200,000 Km on 3 vehicles without needing to change pads, and the "non-wear" item is burning out first. Twice!

Hope that it doesn't happen to the F150 I replaced the Explorer with, and I am not going to dump money at Ford for maintenance that they won't even identify in their owners manuals. (Disassembly and cleaning of brake parts)

Are you referring to the 1992 Explorer that shows in the margin??

Peter

No, as stated im referring to my moms 2013 expedition, not my 92 explorer. Like i said it lasted 80k miles before even changing the pads (granted the rotors were also warped and needed replacing, but wouldnt have had they checked them last service and turned them as i told them to, and they ignored me)

So I contacted Ford corporate customer care on Fri 3/20 and opened a case. I was told that I'd receive a phonecall the following Monday (3/23) and as of Fri 3/27 I had left 2 voicemails with the regional rep "Jolyn", spoken to 2 customer service reps and ultimately got this case escalated because my regional rep had YET to return my phonecall.

Did I mention that the day after I opened the case the vehicle's A/C is not cooling? This situation keeps getting better and better. I refuse to back down. I'm beginning to consider getting legal help or contacting the Florida dept of consumer affairs.

So I contacted Ford corporate customer care on Fri 3/20 and opened a case. I was told that I'd receive a phonecall the following Monday (3/23) and as of Fri 3/27 I had left 2 voicemails with the regional rep "Jolyn", spoken to 2 customer service reps and ultimately got this case escalated because my regional rep had YET to return my phonecall...

It's time to get me involved, pollito14. If you have your case number handy, PM that to me. If not, send all of the details I mentioned in my prior post: your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work on this.

Crystal

So Monday, no phonecall. Tuesday 4pm, no call. I called and spoke to a customer service rep and she said that they had tried calling me the day prior and I asked what number they called. Sure enough they called a number I haven't had in over a year and half. I even gave them the number to call when I opened the case. Anyway, I was promised that this would be escalated once again.

Today (Wed) I finally got a phonecall! I went over everything that happened since I had purchased the vehicle and how unsatisfied I had been. She went to the brakes are a wear and tear thing and I told her, I get that but I've put 80k on my Fusion and yet have to do anything with the brakes but after 10k I'm having to service the ones on the Explorer?!? I also explained that this isn't a pad issue since I was told that the pads are good. It's the pad bracket and that's not a wear and tear. She said that Ford wouldn't be able to cover the repair 100% but I could pay a $100 deductible and they'd fix both rear AND front brakes.

Needless to say the Explorer was dropped off within 2 hrs of hanging up. I figure $100 is better than $500, but I urge everyone to complete a recall complaint here because I really don't think us Ford owners should be responsible for poor engineering.:nono:

Thank you [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]. I sent you my contact info about 10 days ago but never heard from you. I even mentioned your name a few times but no one knew anyone by your name. I had to get this problem fixed ASAP. The days in FL are getting hotter and hotter and I didn't want to return to the dealership twice (once for the a/c and again for the brakes).

...Thank you [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION]. I sent you my contact info about 10 days ago but never heard from you. I even mentioned your name a few times but no one knew anyone by your name. I had to get this problem fixed ASAP. The days in FL are getting hotter and hotter and I didn't want to return to the dealership twice (once for the a/c and again for the brakes).

Hi pollito14,

I'm not seeing a PM from you in my inbox; could you try sending your information again? I'm not at the Customer Relationship Center, so I can't speak to folks who call in there. I can only communicate with people on forums like this one. I'll go ahead and send you a PM now so you can respond to it; hopefully that will help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

77,000 miles on my Ex and still on original brakes. Just passed inspection so Ill have 95-100k on my original set.

Needless to say the Explorer was dropped off within 2 hrs of hanging up. I figure $100 is better than $500, but I urge everyone to complete a recall complaint here because I really don't think us Ford owners should be responsible for poor engineering.:nono:

I'm having the same issue with my rear calipers. I filled out vehicle safety complaint at safercar.gov

I'm having the same issue with my rear calipers...

Welcome to the forum, pdahm. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Did you have your local Ford Dealership check out your calipers? What's the current mileage on your Explorer? Let me know so I can research ways to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

2013 Repeated Caliper And Brake Issues

Hello Everyone,

found this forum and would like to share my story with my 2013 Ford Explorer XLT.

Here is the chronological order of events:

1. 19AUG2012 - Received new Explorer.
2. 15JUL2013 (24,713 kms) - Replaced rear brake pads, rotors and serviced calipers. Paid this out of pocket as no direct evidence of caliper issue but knew something was not right. Discussed with Service manager and he contacted Ford Canada customer service. 2 weeks later told they could do nothing for us....wear and tear...sound familiar.
3. 09APR2014 (39,650 kms) - squealing heard on rear brakes especially left rear. Mechanic found both calipers seized with overheated and flaking rear brake pads. Replaced both rear calipers, rotors, pads and bleed brake system. Dealership covered under warranty because they found seized calipers.
4. 05NOV2014 (54,646 kms) - Performed brake inspection due to previous issues and everything good.
5. 24APR2015 (64,000 kms) - heard squealing again from left rear wheel. Pulled over and placed back of hand near wheel. Hot enough to roast marshmellows. Brought to dealership and found left rear brake pad destroyed. But since we are now over 60,000 kms it is no longer covered!!! Complete rear brake job replacement required again.

So this will be the 3rd set of calipers and 4th set of brake pads for this vehicle. To say one is disappointed and frustrated would be the mother of all understatements.

Plan to meet service manager tomorrow but can already hear his response. Wear and tear....I'll follow up with Ford Canada customer service....etc. Nothing we can do....etc.

Been life long Ford customer.....probably not for much longer.

Filed safety related complaint to Transport Canada due to repeat and systemic failures of brake system:
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

Welcome to the Forum sticks99ca.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about all the issues you've had. Many members here have found the Forum the same way, searching the Internet for an answer to their problems.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone,

found this forum and would like to share my story with my 2013 Ford Explorer XLT.

Here is the chronological order of events:

1. 19AUG2012 - Received new Explorer.
2. 15JUL2013 (24,713 kms) - Replaced rear brake pads, rotors and serviced calipers. Paid this out of pocket as no direct evidence of caliper issue but knew something was not right. Discussed with Service manager and he contacted Ford Canada customer service. 2 weeks later told they could do nothing for us....wear and tear...sound familiar.
3. 09APR2014 (39,650 kms) - squealing heard on rear brakes especially left rear. Mechanic found both calipers seized with overheated and flaking rear brake pads. Replaced both rear calipers, rotors, pads and bleed brake system. Dealership covered under warranty because they found seized calipers.
4. 05NOV2014 (54,646 kms) - Performed brake inspection due to previous issues and everything good.
5. 24APR2015 (64,000 kms) - heard squealing again from left rear wheel. Pulled over and placed back of hand near wheel. Hot enough to roast marshmellows. Brought to dealership and found left rear brake pad destroyed. But since we are now over 60,000 kms it is no longer covered!!! Complete rear brake job replacement required again.

So this will be the 3rd set of calipers and 4th set of brake pads for this vehicle. To say one is disappointed and frustrated would be the mother of all understatements.

Plan to meet service manager tomorrow but can already hear his response. Wear and tear....I'll follow up with Ford Canada customer service....etc. Nothing we can do....etc.

Been life long Ford customer.....probably not for much longer.

Filed safety related complaint to Transport Canada due to repeat and systemic failures of brake system:
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

Welcome to the forum, sticks99ca! I'm the Ford Service Canada rep and I'm here to help. :ca:

We appreciate your loyalty to Ford. I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager, who will work with the dealer for a resolution. Please send me a private message with the VIN, dealer, your full name, and best daytime phone number.

Mariel

Back