• Register Today It's free!

Time to come back

badloser

Reaction score
City, State
Port St Lucie,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Well traded in my 04 EX limited for a 14 escape and think its time to throw in the towel . I really tried to like it but the facts are I need a bigger SUV for towing and holding all the gear needed for my pee wee motocross rider . I will not go into details unless someone wants to hear about the cons of the Escape vs Explorer thing. Now I have it down to 2 models the Limited or the Sport and am leaning towards the sport . It will tow a small enclosed trailer 5x10 vnose so trailer package is a must.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can wait the soon to be release the platinum will have 365 hp turbo. If you want to spend that much...!

We have several Escapes as company vehicles and every time I drive one (which is rare), I feel like I'm in a tin can. Not a vehicle I could like.

I have both. The 2009 has more of the SUV look than the present model and is higher off the ground. It's used solely as a beach buggy and driving around a small island, and being lighter it "floats" over the sand nicely.

For overall utility, the Ex wins out as a midsize vs. compact and has a more upscale interior (compared to 2009) while feeling firmer on the road. Had to get a compact for the beach buggy as the garage is too small for anything bigger where it stays. As my everyday SUV, the Ex wins hands down.

I think if you are single the Escape is somewhat practical. For a family and hauling a lot of stuff, the Ex all the way.

I drove a sport today and have ruled out the limited as the twin turbo engine really gets up and goes well. I will keep this one for a few years so I will take my time looking for one that I like.

Well my dealer made me a sweet deal on a 15 XLT 202b package, tow package, 20" wheels and Navigation in the color I wanted silver I will test drive it tonight

Having both, you will love the more sturdy feel of the Ex on the road than the Escape and more cargo/passenger room. The sole reason I bought as used 2009 Escape a couple years ago as opposed to something larger was to keep it at a vacation house on a small island with a small garage that would not fit a mid-sized SUV.

If you have to have the HP, the Sport is the way to go, but I personally find the NA V6 more than adequate. I got a great deal on a used but loaded XLT (I only buy used with about 6 months left bumper-to-bumper on cars coming off lease, but that's me). It was the right decision for me on the various Ex models, but can't go wrong with what works for you personally.

Having both, you will love the more sturdy feel of the Ex on the road than the Escape and more cargo/passenger room. The sole reason I bought as used 2009 Escape a couple years ago as opposed to something larger was to keep it at a vacation house on a small island with a small garage that would not fit a mid-sized SUV.

If you have to have the HP, the Sport is the way to go, but I personally find the NA V6 more than adequate. I got a great deal on a used but loaded XLT (I only buy used with about 6 months left bumper-to-bumper on cars coming off lease, but that's me). It was the right decision for me on the various Ex models, but can't go wrong with what works for you personally.

great thanks for the advice . The escape seats are small for me and it is very noisy. I know it is a great value but I think the EX will put a smile back on my face when it comes to long drives. I am surprised that the XLT fully loaded is just about a limited minus the memory seats and power pedals and a few nick nacks.

great thanks for the advice . The escape seats are small for me and it is very noisy. I know it is a great value but I think the EX will put a smile back on my face when it comes to long drives. I am surprised that the XLT fully loaded is just about a limited minus the memory seats and power pedals and a few nick nacks.

Yep, if you work it right, you can get very close to a Limited with an XLT and still save a bit. I do miss memory seats, but see no need for the power folding rear seats and other items. The amount I saved not to have memory seats was well worth it as I am the only driver.

The Ex is a very comfortable highway cruiser for long rides. Plenty of seat room. Some people complain about the dead pedal in the left foot well not allowing you to stretch your leg, but it does not bother me (and I'm 6'1). Seats have nice cushioning and width. Only thing that would be nice is a longer bolster under your legs, but not really an issue. Still a great cruiser for long rides.

Ok I just picked it up and drove about 15 miles home . It feels like I am back home. The seats are night and day. It now hits me I put 26k on the escape and now realize how much nicer the EX really is.

20150429_082820_resized_zpsmhxpvwfs.jpg

Looks awesome!! I like the color.

thank you very much , Miami Beach Senior High grad here class of 87

Ok I just picked it up and drove about 15 miles home . It feels like I am back home. The seats are night and day. It now hits me I put 26k on the escape and now realize how much nicer the EX really is.
Time to update your profile.:) Nice looking Ex.:thumbsup:

Peter

thank you very much , Miami Beach Senior High grad here class of 87

Nice..I always hear positive things about Miami Beach Senior High School..Most other High Schools have a lot of issues down here with North Miami being the worst.

Nice..I always hear positive things about Miami Beach Senior High School..Most other High Schools have a lot of issues down here with North Miami being the worst.

HA ya I remember the North Miami Beach(NMB) kids were scary I think they were Football State Champs back then

Time to update your profile.:) Nice looking Ex.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks I forgot about that here is another pic of front tinted windows I had done today. It's Florida legal 26% I believe .
2015explorer_zpsoztmeijq.jpg

Those look like the standard XLT 18" wheels.

Those look like the standard XLT 18" wheels.

they are I was originally looking at a 2014 Limited with the optional 20" wheels but the one that I purchased is a 2015 with the 18's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I considered OEM 20's on my 2011 I bought used. There were several 2011 XLT's with them out there for sale.

I stuck with the 18's as I personally feel any SUV does not look great with large wheels (personal preference, I do have large wheels on my Saab sports sedan), smoother ride and cheaper tires to replace with longer wear as I'm holding long term. I think the 18's have a cool concave look while spinning that looks cool when coming to stop or starting at a light or stop sign to cars across from you and behind you.

For those who prefer large wheels on the Ex, more power to ya. It's all personal preference.

Back