95 Ford Explorer Sport. Engine shuts off when I shift into drive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ford Explorer Sport. Engine shuts off when I shift into drive.

anthonyjozi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer sport
please help guys, my truck starts fine, but when i shift into drive and i press the gas the engine dies, if i put into reverse it works fine and the engine doesint die. just before this problem happened the od light was flashing so i disconnected the battery and put it back on and the od lights stop flashing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the throttle position sensor voltage. probe the ground & the sig wire.. You should get 0.5 to 1.5 at closed throttle and 4.0 to 5v when its open. Another thing to check is the MAF sensor that should be atleast 10v with the key to the ON position but not with a running engine and .5 to .7 when the engine is running and idling. As you give the engine gas it should go to 1.5 to 3v.

i had this problem it was the idel air mixture sensor

i dont have a tester with me but do you think its most likeley the sensor? how much is it? and where is located? thanks for helping bro.

i dont have a tester with me but do you think its most likeley the sensor? how much is it? and where is located? thanks for helping bro.

i think they about 30 bucks and it right on top of the intake

i think they are about 30bucks and its right on top of the intake

when i start the car and im on park it revs up fine, reverse is fine, neutral, it dies rigiht away when i shift to drive, drive2. would that still be a sensor problem?

mine did the same thing in park it was fine in drive it died

when i start the car and im on park it revs up fine, reverse is fine, neutral, it dies rigiht away when i shift to drive, drive2. would that still be a sensor problem?

is there another name for the sensor? because i called autozone and they said they have no part called air mixture sensor.

95 ford explorer. PLEASE HELP IM STRANDED!

please help guys, my truck starts fine, but when i shift into drive and i press the gas the engine dies, if i put into reverse it works fine and the engine doesint die. just before this problem happened the od light was flashing so i disconnected the battery and put it back on and the od lights stop flashing.

no idea. I do know that when the od light flashes it usually means transmission failure.

Sorry, don't know what to say. Have you tried driving it by putting the transmission gear selector in just D or 2nd or 1st gear?

Welcome to this forum! I've merged your threads, and moved everything into one thread in the stock 95-01 section. Never disconnect the battery before you read the codes. Don't replace parts unless you know the code numbers first. If I had to guess what is wrong, I would say that it's either the TCC solenoid or the range sensor.

95 ford explorer shuts off on drive

thanks for the reply, the mechanic that is looking at my car has his mind set on the transmission needs to be replaced, he said if it was a solenoid problem then on reverse the engine would shut off also, but my reverse still works fine. i can't beleive its the transmission because before it happened my truck was running fine with no signs of transmission problems. what should i say to the mechanic to make him overlook what he think the problem is?

i know this may not be the answer for your problem but on my mazda pickup my air intake hose was cracked and when shifted in to drive the crack would open up due to the motor moving when placed in any forward gear its worth a look i fixed mine with duct tape temporarily

Engine shuts off when I shift into Drive

Sorry, don't know what to say. Have you tried driving it by putting the transmission gear selector in just D or 2nd or 1st gear?

I have the issue too with my truck, when I shift to neutral and reverse engine is on, but in D or 2nd or 1st gear engine shuts off no OD flashing no code. Though engine oil blinks for about 2 seconds. I thought perhaps low ATF, dropped the pan, and got about 6quart. I change transmission filter and refill with new 9quarts of Mercon V. Same issue persist. I rebuilt the transmission 7months back though.
I get the truck to a slope, start engine, shift to neutral-parking brake off, truck rolls then I shift to D and rev up, the truck jerks and keeps moving, shifting all gears till I came to a complete stop. If I shift to N before halt engine stays on but shuts off if still in D.
Do I have a transmission issue or some sensor/electrical problem?.

Back