Cleaning nav / entertainment screen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning nav / entertainment screen

CraigK

Reaction score
City, State
Leroy, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Any do's or don'ts about cleaning fingerprints off the screen?

Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NOW you tell me. I Have to admit that was funny!! :D

Craig

I have used a damp (water) cloth to wipe it off. I wouldn't recommend using an ammonia based product or a alcohol wipe. Thinking about it, any eye glass cleaner should be safe to use. Those are usually formulated to clean your glasses but not strip off any of the coatings.

There are touch screen/electronic wipes that are probably fine as well.
I typically just use a damp cloth personally

When i got my truck i cleaned the screen well, and then put a screen protector on it and now i only use a soft cloth with some windex applied onto the cloth and then i clean my screen.

Any do's or don'ts about cleaning fingerprints off the screen?

Craig
From your Owner's Guide;

Cleaning the Touchscreen Display
Use a clean, soft cloth such as one used for cleaning glasses. If dirt or
fingerprints are still visible, apply a small amount of alcohol to the cloth.
Do not pour or spray alcohol onto the display. Do not use detergent or
any type of solvent to clean the display.

Peter

Buy a nushield.

Buy a nushield.
oh yeah the best.

1 solid hour
clean lint
position ns, clean lint out of corner
rewipe
clean more lint
position ns
hold breath
clean lint
position ns
install ns
peel off due to lint
clean lint out of corner
try again

in the end
its perfect,
- no lint -
fits so well you cannot tell its there.
cleans with a huff and a puff and a wipe from a chamy.

^^^^^ That is funny because it true. I use the cloth that came with the car, and I have a ***** of a time getting the lint out of the corner!!

My current vehicle is a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. It has an 8.4 inch touch screen. I'll be trading it in on the 2016 Explorer. But here is how I clean my screen. I live in an area with very hard water. So I buy at the grocery store a one gallon container of the cheapest distilled water you can get (usually about $1). I pour that water into a clean spray bottle and spray enough of it on a microfiber cloth to dampen it. Then I wipe the screen with that. I do not spray the screen. I also use that to clean the instrument cluster gauges. Result - clean screens and no scratches. And it's inexpensive because you keep refilling the spray bottle. A gallon of the distilled water usually last me months.

I cleaned mine with just about everything but the screen still had a white haze everywhere except at the usual touch spots that were clear. Since they were clear I knew the screen was acrylic and not lexan. So I took polishing compound, a damp microfiber and in 5 minutes the screen was completely clear and not attracting dog hair on a 5 hour round college move in trip.

8" Screen Protector

I did a search and did not find much but I may have overlooked so correct me if this has already been discussed.

I want to get a screen protector for my 2014 Explorer limited 8" screen. I want something that will limit the glare and that fingerprints will be damn near no existent, (I hate fingerprints) but will keep the screen crystal clear. I'm thinking that I will Need a Matte Finish (Anti-Glare) to limit the fingerprints.

Nushield has 2 different ones, the Dayvue and the Triple A.
Does anyone have experience with either of these, if so what are your thoughts?

If there are more options that anyone knows of for the screen please inform me.

It already has a screen protector on it. It is flat finished and already designed to cut glare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back