• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap

lorraine1

Reaction score
City, State
wva
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
i read about the mustang v6 swap,my question is can you do the same with a v8 5,0 98 model?if so what year mustang engines would work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you would have to get the balancer remade. a mustang is a 28oz and a explorer is a 50oz. the bigger difference is a explorer balancer has a trigger wheel on it, a mustang doesnt. you would have to get a trigger wheel pinned to the mustang balancer.

Probably be easier to find a wrecked '98 V8 Explorer or Mountaineer and swap the drive train over. A '96 or '97 would also be good candidates and would eliminate one of the snags of a swap by not using PATS security.

Other than some minor wiring harness issues, the rest is all bolt in.

that helps a lot,a lot i didnt know.

Probably be easier to find a wrecked '98 V8 Explorer or Mountaineer and swap the drive train over. A '96 or '97 would also be good candidates and would eliminate one of the snags of a swap by not using PATS security.

Other than some minor wiring harness issues, the rest is all bolt in.

Dumb question. What is PATS security? Asking because I too am looking for a re builder for my 98 Explorer RWD.

Mustang 5.0 also isn't tuned for a truck so it doesn't have as much bottom end as the Explorer 5.0

Dumb question. What is PATS security? Asking because I too am looking for a re builder for my 98 Explorer RWD.

PATS - Passive Anti-Theft System. If you look at your key, you will see on the side of the key there is a little rectangular box; that is a security chip that matches up with the computer in the Explorer. If they code in the key doesnt match the code in the computer, you will not be able to start the vehicle. That's why 98+ keys are bigger then 97 and older.

There is a company out of CA called Damper Dudes.

They take a stock 50 Oz Explorer balancer and re balance for 28 Oz for stroker blocks and such.

It has the trigger wheel already installed.

Got one mounted on my 331.

you would have to get the balancer remade. a mustang is a 28oz and a explorer is a 50oz. the bigger difference is a explorer balancer has a trigger wheel on it, a mustang doesnt. you would have to get a trigger wheel pinned to the mustang balancer.

I would have sworn the Mustang small block started using a 50 oz inbalance with the 84 model year...I know the older small block V8 up to 1982 were 28 oz but all the 5.0 liter[86-95] balancers are 50 oz...I also have used an Explorer balancer and front cover for the CPS mount for a Mustang engine in an Explorer in the past..

If you have concerns about the Mustang vs. Explorer engine you can use the Explorer cam and heads on the mustang engine in the Explorer to match the V8 Explorer "tuning"...

And PATS security is part of the ECU/ignition switch/key security that has a chip in the ignition key and circuitry to prevent the engine from starting if the wrong key is used or someone tries to hotwire the truck...It isn't affected by the engine install ...

Back