5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

HOLY COW. For some reason, I was not getting emails on updates to this thread. I must have missed one and don't get on here all that often. I am sorry all of this happened N2FORD. It sounds like you are in good hands now though.

My st has been my daily driver through the Winter. Just pulled the Challenger back out last week. No problems this season.

If you guys need anything, you have my email address. If you want to email me, I will send you my phone number too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... I am putting her up for sale. :( I have a couple of potential projects coming my way and need room. I have a 2nd gen ST now. Will probably put a 5.0 in it at some point. :) I plan on posting on this forum in the "for sale" section, but need to get some pictures of the interior first. If anyone knows of someone interested, please send them my way!

Don

Got a super deal on an 02 Trac, $4500 with a rebuilt V6 with only 10 miles on it. Still runs great but the transmission has gone kablooey. Takes a very long time to shift into 1st then slams in hard. But once it has it shifts fine, until it's shut off. Changed fluid and filter and added a bottle of Lucas (worked great on my Taurus) but no change.

So the Trac is out back waiting on a drivetrain transplant from my 98 Mountaineer that was actually built in 98, not 97 like my other 98 Mountaineer. ;)

Bit of a problem though, the Mountaineer has ABS codes C1230 C1095 and C1102. I assume I'll be needing some parts to fix all that rather than being able to use pieces on the Trac?

Many times in this thread "simple wiring" to use the PATS B module has been mentioned, but no details, pics of it. Will the ignition lock cylinder from the 98 swap to the 02 steering column?

I swapped a used AWD tcase with VSS into the Mountaineer a while back, so it has that ready for the swap.

I'm going to do a complete axle swap so the Trac will have rear disc brakes and 3.73 gears. Should help the MPG a bit with the larger tires on the Trac.

How much $ for one of those speed changer units? Will definitely need to fix the speedo with the different gearing and tires.

Well...Mine is still available also. Only a few bites on it. The mileage must be an issue for some. :)

So...I can't answer on the PATS as my 96 EEC doesn't know how to communicate such things. The theft light blinks for a while and goes out. You may want to get an EEC Tuner of some sort to tell it what gears you have. You may be able to disable PATS with it too. You can then have fun with timing, fuel and shift points.

What gears were originally in your ST?

You can wire the 98 PATS into the 02 Trac just a bit of rewiring. Also the 98 should have that g-force sensor mounted on the frame on the driver side for the ABS. The speedometer works through the ABS on the 98, but on the 02 it takes a signal from the transmission and goes through the PCM to the speedometer. If you can try and contact RangerSVT on here he is the go to guy for v8 swaps, he can answer your questions and concerns.

Well...Mine is still available also. Only a few bites on it. The mileage must be an issue for some.

Wasn't an issue for me. I realize it's value. I still want it but I spent too much money in the past couple months. If anyone is serious about having a 5.0 ST, I don't know why they'd go any route other than buying yours. I was so ready to pull the trigger, that's why I was silent except through PMs; didn't want anyone getting wise and buying it before me.

It'll probably be another 8 months to a year before I can reconsider. Till then, good luck with the sale.

I appreciate the kind words OffTrac.

Well...Mine is still available also. Only a few bites on it. The mileage must be an issue for some. :)

So...I can't answer on the PATS as my 96 EEC doesn't know how to communicate such things. The theft light blinks for a while and goes out. You may want to get an EEC Tuner of some sort to tell it what gears you have. You may be able to disable PATS with it too. You can then have fun with timing, fuel and shift points.

What gears were originally in your ST?

4.11 in the Trac, 3.73 in the Mountaineer. I did the math and with the 3.73 and the larger tires on the Trac, plus the OD ratio on the Mountaineer transmission, At 65 MPH is 1973 RPM VS 1894 RPM in 4th gear. 4.0859% slower so should get a little better MPG.

I have taken it off and on the market over time :) Had some bites, but no money and it must be obvious that I am not pushing it. :) I am only going to sell to someone who understands what a engine swap vehicle is.

I love this truck on days like this. It was slushy and icy out there today.

Hi Don, I saw your truck listed today I think, $5kish wasn't it? It said Maryville and had a 96 302/AWD.

I miss my trucks, both are non running right now. I saw a 98 Limited listed that I'd like to see, and I'm lucky to be off work this week. Stay warm, Winter is definitely here now.
Night,

I see your truck often when I look on CL for Explorer stuff. I have been searching for a ST with a bad trans. I still have a good trans left from my V8 swap I would like to put in one. I would still like to get us Knoxville area guys together, how about a Sunday afternoon?

Teaser for another v8 swap

Maybe the wrong place for this, but I have been inspired reading these threads extensively enough to want to complete my own v8 swap. I picked up a 1999 2WD Explorer with a rebuilt and bored over 5.0, and I started gutting it about 3 weeks ago to put the beast in my 2WD 2002 Sport Trac. Where I'm at now is with 2 trucks with empty engine bays, and a 5.0 in the shop getting some motor mount studs removed from being broken off in the block and fresh seals up top; the guy who had this thing before did a horrific job of buttoning everything up, and I'm not putting crap in my daily driven ST. Anyway, here's some teaser pics, and I'll probably create my own thread eventually when the truck is completed.

IMG_0235_zpsd5quly7o.jpg

5.0 As it arrived to me, ready to snatch out!

IMG_0250_zpszpbtimi6.jpg

Coming...

IMG_0259_zpsghiy3sag.jpg

4.0 Out of the ST and in the garage

IMG_0240_zpscfodtwa0.jpg

My beauty

Hey All....still not sure why I don't get notifications anymore. Might have to redo my email settings here. I would still be up for a get-together in Knoxville.

I put it up for sale every once in a while in CL and usually don't think about renewing it. I am sure it is mine that you all have been seeing. Been driving it quite a bit lately though. My 2007 was in the shop for a trans leak this week also. They fixed it under ESP, but it looks like they put the wrong fluid in. :fire: The whole SP vs LV for 6r60 transmissions lives on.

sewellliveaudio: Good luck with the build!!

I will be building a web site to show what I did, in time. I just wanted to share a quick video and some pics to show that my ST is alive. Please forgive the bad pics and video. It was already dark when my battery finished charging on the camera. I wanted to at least get one shot showing it really was a Sport Trac though. ;) I still have to shorten a couple of wires, finish figuring out the vacuum lines and some other things, but it was nice to hear it run today.

Video:
http://dperuski.home.comcast.net/2001st/startandrunsmall.wmv

Are you still around the site? The video isnt working, and I'd love to hear this beast!!

Link not available?? What does everyone use for photo, video hosting around here??

That sounds amazing, must tickle the ears in person..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back