Solved - I did a shift kit then lost reverse on my A4LD transmission. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved I did a shift kit then lost reverse on my A4LD transmission.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Xeek

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
94 ranger Swapping 2wd to 4wd, i got a working trans from another member here. Took it apart and did the transgo shift kit. Added fifth ball, drilled all holes, replaced spring in reverse servo, cleaned governor.
A couple seperator plate holes were already bigger than transgos "hard shift, biggest hole". Other than that it was all fine.

Only thing i noticed i did wrong was i had the vb off and tried getting the governor off. It didnt set right in my head so i looked at my paper. It specifically said "dont spin output shaft with reverso servo out. Might drop reverse band"

Soooo. With truck on jackstands as i have no driveshafts or front brake lines. P N D D 2 1 all work as they should. Reverse gives me neutral.

This trans came with the big spring on the servo, im thinking to remove it and try to replace the orings. How can i check if the band is still in place?
Anything else i can try that might get it to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the low / reverse band with a phillips screwdriver. Do you have manual 1st gear? Check the reverse modulation valve spool in the valve body. Maybe a keeper pin popped out of place. Did you use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts?

Ill have to wait til i have time to check the band and open the valve up. Good thing is i have a spare parts trans lol

And yes manaul 1st works. All forward gears spin the tcase output flange. Neutral acts normal, park acts normal. Keep in mind this is all with no load, no driveshafts attached, if it makes any difference.

Yes i used an inch pound torque wrench. Inner bolts to 90, and outers to 75. Dont quote me on that, whatever the transgo instructions said is what i did, those numbers just popped in my head.

Only other thing i didnt do was "seat" the check balls per glaciers thread. Figured theyd work as is

I know nothing about the tcase. Except everything worked before i got it. I can go into 4wd and see both outputs spin as they should in forward gears. I probably wont be able to drop the pan until friday. Screw work!

Very funny eddie. That wont work so well offroad

Did you replace the cover gasket on the low/reverse piston cover? Had the same issue when I was doing mine. Felt kinda dumb when I realized what was going on (after the 4th time of dropping the pan!) Good luck with it!

Always use new gaskets on the valve body when you remove it. Some separator plates have bonded gaskets so they don't require external gaskets. Those plates get replaced when the bonded gaskets are shot. The low / reverse servo has a square gasket with 4 bolt holes. Never use RTV silicone inside the transmission in the valve body area. It will clog the valve body when it starts to deteriorate.

If i can peel off the gaskets on each side mine are probably replaceable? I did that and brake cleaned the plate, wiped off gaskets, lubed and put back together.
I guess ill start with ordering vb gaskets and reverse servo gasket and orings. While I wait ill check the band and see if its in place. And check reverse spool. Might be able to tomorrow morning

I had enough time before work to drain trans. So i dont have to deal with getting it all over me tonorrow.

I looked at the transgo instructions again. It says do not resuse the cclip on the servo after using their new spring. I used that clip, part of problem?

And im supposed to be able to see the band? Everything i see is just the bore. Does the pin touch it way down in the hole or something?

Got ya. Yes i can feelthe band.
So now just waitingfor the new.gaskets and such and hopefullyi should be good.

Reading the instructions i never pulled out any reverse spools,so they should be fine. I remember checking all the keepers before i put the.cover on also, but when i replace the gaskets ill look again

ForumRunner_20150508_090700.jpg

Acording to this i am supposed to remove the clip, yes?

ForumRunner_20150508_090712.jpg

And i have these orings but i honestly have no.clue what this part is.

Those rings are for the center support which is in the middle of the transmission. You can't reach it from the valve body. You have to dig into the clutch pack section (planetary gears, clutch packs, pump, one way sprag, etc) to get to it.

You don't have to remove this clip, but if you do, they recommend replacing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back