Simple upgrade for rear turn signal bulbs? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Simple upgrade for rear turn signal bulbs?

^^ this did not work for me, but all of the LEDs on my bulbs light with the signal.
(I tested the bulbs outside of the housing to ensure good/proper lighting)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you took the wire and flipped it to the other side?

lol, its not what you think. with the T20 7440's there are 4 wires, two wires are for the outer LED's on the bulb, the other 2 are for the center, so they can be used in other cars say my wife's 2009 Escape, when she turns on the lights the out side of the bulb come on, and when she hits the brakes the center would come on. Basically since the Ex only has two contacts if you plugged in the bulb as is, you would either get just the center or outer LED's not both. So I took one set of wires on the back of the bulb and bent them to the other side and crossed them so when I put the bulb in and turn on the turn signal the outer and center LED's come on at the same time. If I get a chance to remove the housing again I'll snap a photo.

^^ this did not work for me, but all of the LEDs on my bulbs light with the signal.
(I tested the bulbs outside of the housing to ensure good/proper lighting)

You probably got the correct bulb with only 2 contacts, mine I think was a bit different. Ether way, in the end same result :)

Here is what I had to do:

Attachments

• 20150506_192759.jpg
    20150506_192759.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 20150506_192805.jpg
    20150506_192805.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 20150506_192814.jpg
    20150506_192814.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 20150506_192822.jpg
    20150506_192822.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 330

Gotcha. Now it makes more sense.

Here is what I had to do:

also I want to thank you. you either dug up photos from when you replaced the bulbs, or took the car apart to pull them out to show us... Either way Thanks for helping out.

also I want to thank you. you either dug up photos from when you replaced the bulbs, or took the car apart to pull them out to show us... Either way Thanks for helping out.

Your welcome and no worries, I pulled the taillight out to take the photos, I was trying to create a photoshop pic of it, but that wasn't going to explain it enough, plus I forgot exactly how I had to bend the wires, so wth.

So I've run into a strange "issue" and it's probably due to the lighter load with LED but with the parking lights on (on their own or with headlamps) the turn signals often hyper flash (but not with the hazards) but with the lights off, they flash normal. Trying to decide if I can live with this since most of my driving is day light, it's less of an irritant and I do not want to tap into the wiring to add a resistor for load.

So I've run into a strange "issue" and it's probably due to the lighter load with LED but with the parking lights on (on their own or with headlamps) the turn signals often hyper flash (but not with the hazards) but with the lights off, they flash normal. Trying to decide if I can live with this since most of my driving is day light, it's less of an irritant and I do not want to tap into the wiring to add a resistor for load.

Same issue. So I only upgraded the reverse lights and the rear turn signals. Hyper flash no matter what. hazards work though. Put the amber bulbs back in. I am going to search for a led flasher.

Did your bulbs have 2 wires in them or 4, I haven't had that issue at all, and I'm wondering if due to the ones I have I have more resistance

Done.

Peter

Mine have 4 wires on the front and rear bulbs. they are pretty bright so I am not overly concerned you can't see me (from the front) it's just a bit annoying.

Can I live with it? For now, yes.

Back