Want to make my 98 Eddie Bauer different then most. Need lift ideas PLZ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to make my 98 Eddie Bauer different then most. Need lift ideas PLZ!

98eddieneedslift

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, Washington state
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer Eddie Bauer
ive been reeding the forums and blogs so I've got an idea of what it will take because the lovely torsion bars and leafs in the rear. So I've seen the add a leaf and torsion bar keys that can add about 1.5" to 2" plus a body lift up to 3". Then of course it takes new shocks for the travel. I also have checked out the superlift kit with everything but it seems that it comes with a lot of modification with that lift(not directly bolt on I've heard) well that's a little to rich for my blood. So I'm going for not necessarily cheep but not up to the price of 1600 either. I can do most anything On vehicles but when it cones to cutting things off and welding I've haven't done it since shop class in high school 30 years ago and it was basic knowledge at that. That being said and after readying lots of blogs and forums on here I'm still kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. What's the not necessarily the easy way but what is the best recommendation you brothers might have for me to good a good amount of clearance bigger tires and new shocks without going crazy on the price and to complicated modifications like wielding or starting to cut things out with a saws all. I know lots of you have answered this tons of times but it seems this second generation explorer is a pain in the ass to lift. Please with all the knowledge I've seen in this forum I'd much appreciate any advice you may have for a newbie who just wants to do something a little different that you don't see much! Thanks for your time brothers!!!

I'd start with cranking the torsion bars up (1.5-2" lift and free!) then do the add a leaf and warrior shackles in the rear. Rancho rs5000 shocks are really decent for the money and they list them for the explorer with 2 inches of lift. I got mine from amazon for 50$ each. You'll be able to clear 31" tires with this setup with no problems

Fiberglass fenders, bilstein 4600's, add-a leaf and small torsion crank-33s

2nd gen explorers are really easy to lift, and the lack of options makes deciding which way to easy. 3" BL and TT/ add a leaf are fairly cheap options if you are mainly going for looks. They take about a weekend to complete. If you plan to do "fun" offorading, beefing up the front end parts and replacing leafspring and other bushing will cost a bit more, but not really hard work, probably another weekend. The most expensive thing will be new tires an rims, probably $800-1000.

If you plan to clear tires larger than 33" you will probably want the Superlift front end. 33" and under do TT/Leafsprings/shackles and or BL. Thats my opinion, but my Mountaineer is the only vehicle I have lifted

Back