How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

Just broke 200k. Though im always the slowest off the light half of my miles have been pulling a 6x12 cargo trailer. In fact i wore that one out and bought a bigger one with a 5k axle. At 190k. I moved a forklift 50miles pretty sure i exceeded the towing limit. Was told by a transmission tech not to change the fuild.

That's the point. Don't change the fluid. Period. If it isn't broke then don't fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the point. Don't change the fluid. Period. If it isn't broke then don't fix it.

Let us all know how that works out for your motor oil. :rolleyes:

Let us all know how that works out for your motor oil. :rolleyes:

I change oil every 10 to 15 thousand miles. 225,000 miles and still does not use oil. Still running original serpentine belt, hoses and plugs and wires. Like i said if it isn't broke don't fix it.

120K runs like new...hope it continues !

I've got 145k on my '05 with the 4.0 and still runs fine. Had the fluid changed at about 95k amd thats it. Just came back from a 2500 mile round trip from Illinois to Myrtle Beach, SC and it ran great even through all the mountains and hills. Had probably about a thousand pounds extra in the vehicle for the whole trip between passengers and luggage. Do pull the boat every summer as well.

tranny

I have 169k, no problems with the transmission. Never been serviced. 2005 EB V8.

Agreed on the fluid change and problems...I was having zero problems with my tranny in my 04, flushed at 85k and transmission went at 88K. Spent an arm and a leg for a remanufactured ford transmission at the dealer and knock on wood there is 125k on the truck now and all is well. Engine oil every 3k, rear diff flushed at 90k along with transfer case brake fluid and coolant, just did a drain and refill of my front diff last weekend for the first time. Rebuilding my completely rotted out e-brake, dust shields, somehow my left rear caliper had a chunk of metal near the piston come off so it is sticking..Once I take care of all that she will be 100% for a while hopefully!!!

102k on my wife's '04. Had the transmission, diff. front and rear, and transfer case serviced @50k. Also has diff. and transfer case serviced again@100k. No issues at all with any of those parts. We do not pull any trailers but we do travel in it regularly. We use it as our weekend/travel vehicle mostly, with some limited stop and go commuter driving.

166k on my X, original transmission. I'm not sure if it's ever been serviced, since I've been driving it for only ~1000 miles so far. I only drive it 20-30 miles per day, at most, which is primarily highway driving to college or work.

117,000 on the 03 --- 4.6 and still going strong. Changed oil around 50,000 but nothing since. Pulled a box trailer back and forth to Florida 1000 miles each way about 10 times and a 2000 pound boat 3 times. Bought this new in May of 03. That was oil changed in transmission at 50,000. Change engine oil every 8000.

My 02 Expolder 4.6 is sitting at about 173000 miles. Original tranny, but I did have the engine rebuilt at about 152000. The timing chain tensioner shredded and went all into the engine. I did some upgrades to the engine while it was open to. It had a small leak in the plastic intake, so I replaced it with a metal one. Replaced some other parts that could wear since They had to be taken out anyways.

Tranny

Wife's 02 has 227K and the transmission went south at the 215K mark. We drive it easy and almost never tow anything. Engine is still going strong but I did have to replace the intake manifold two weeks ago. Broke some corroded bolts, not fun.

Well mine had 187,600 on it and she went out last weekend. In the process of having it replaced.

Just passed 160,000 with original trans. Never serviced, works fine

152k on ours... I generally have it serviced every 30k miles... Hoping that helps it last. Works fine with the original transmission and tows a heavy boat frequently in the summer.

I got 11 years and 176,000 out of my transmission before I had to have it rebuilt. I did not have it serviced previously. I now have 190,000 miles.

131K on my 2002. Needs a new throwout bearing sooner rather than later.

159k on the Aug 2004 built 2005, but it now has the slip harsh engagement that the vale block did not fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

259000 km. I have about 40000 km of towing a 17' boat and snowmobiles ans quads all over
. I finaly just changed my ttc solenoid at 250 000.excellent tranny!!

04 eddie bauer 4.0

Back