• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Problem-An Update

kmank

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Greetings. Just want to pass on how things are going with my p/s probs. Well, it's been about 4 days of doing my usual driving and the p/s has not gone thru any periods of becoming stiff or hard to turn ( Again, I hope I'm not jinxing myself. ) although it still seems a bit loud ( that may me too extreme a word ) with that buzzing sound coming from the pump. Pleeze, I'm not ready to replace with pump #3 . There was never a time that it ran without any fluid in it, and it has been quite quiet at times. I did align front wheels using the "string method" and I must say that it came out pretty darn close. Car drives straight n true when steering wheel is centered. Is it possible that it can be a wee bit off that would cause the pump to be trying to do something that it shouldn't ? I WILL get wheels aligned ($$$$, ugh, e'nuff already.) One more thing: I still haven't put the cooler back on, temps have been pretty cool, am I gonna ruin anything in the system? I really don't do any long distant traveling. Well, thats it. Thanx again for all your help n suggestions. Yer all some fine folks. gk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it could take a week or more for the "buzzing" to stop, because it take a long time for all the tiny bubbles to go away. you will not hurt anything by bypassing the cooler at this time of year. the wheel alignment has nothing to do with the pump. it will be interesting to see if all stays working properly once you hook the cooler up again. if it gets noisy/stiff again then the cooler must have a pin-hole in it. if it keeps working okay the the fluid must have been the problem. please keep us informed.

koda2000. Thanx again for giving me some of your time and help. Going to submerge just the cooler coil in a 5 gal bucket leaving the hose ends above the water and put some air pressure in one end and thumbblock (just made that word up) the other to see if I get any air bubbles. Really can't wait to be free of this constant anxiety everytime I drive, waiting for things to go south. Will keep you (all) posted on progress. Have a good one. Appreciate. gk

Wondering how things have turned out long term

Kmank, Could you provide an update as to how things turned out long term? I know this is a relatively old thread, but I am experiencing the same exact thing right now. I am on pump#4 with new rack/pinion, tie rods, pump pulley, belt, cooler, etc. My pump is still buzzing when I turn, but stays relatively quiet when wheels are straight. Were there any other developments after your last post?

About a year ago, I replaced my ps pump as I thought it was the source of a noise caused elsewhere. From day one, it would buzz when the wheel was turned. If parked with hood open, you could see the pump vibrate when the wheel was turned. I didn't worry about it until I saw this.

Thankfully, the pump was bought at Rock Auto. It was covered by a two year warranty. Replacement installed, vibration gone.

There is still a bit of a noise coming from the front end. I'll be replacing the wheel bearings on both sides and hope that cures the issue.

Back