• Register Today It's free!

My 93 Explorer

crpowell67

Reaction score
City, State
Christopher, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
This is my explorer not the prettiest but for the price I paid $0.00 (given to me) because the lady was sick of it. no windows work , they try but have to help them all up and down and no exhaust from cat back and she was out of work and could not fix it so gave it to me free runs and drives great

IMG_20150516_072641_194.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At least from that picture I don't see much rust on it so it's already off to a good start. Have some fun with it.

Everything is repairable, or able to be modified.
Front windows:

There's three little bushings in the motor, they are dried up and brittle. You can rebuild the motor with these bushings, but you have to modify the bushings to fit properly. It is worth the time as it cost 20 dollars for both sides or 65 dollars for one window motor.

Rear windows:

They could be upgraded to the 95-01 track and regulator, versus the current cable driven system. This does require some modification and time, but nice in the end.

Exhaust:

Since it is missing, you could upgrade it with an aftermarket muffler of your choice. There's cat back systems available, they just aren't MY particular style.

Automatic transmissions:

It needs fresh clean filter/fluid/extra coolers to stay alive.

Automatic hubs:

They tend to not work when needed, and worthy of doing a manual hub upgrade. Rebuilding the auto hubs is just a failure waiting to happen again.

Electric transfer case:

This has a plastic stop for the motor, that may or may not be broken and CAN cause the transfer case to not work properly.

Engine:

After 200k miles (sometimes sooner) head gaskets or cracked heads (usually both) cause over heating problems and driveability issues. This is resolved by purchasing brand new aftermarket cylinder heads. The aftermarket heads are better designed.

Routine maintenance:

Basic normal maintenance goes a long way with these trucks. It is worth the extra money to buy motorcraft spark plugs, and wires if you can find them. A good quality oil and filter works. Belt, hoses (including heater hoses), antifreeze are recommended to be changed due to not knowing the history of service. Water pump and thermostat should be serviced as well.

A wise mechanic told me "the secret to a long living 4.0 v6, is to not let it get hot."

If you use google for a search and put explorer forum in the search it will find posts on here. I prefer this method, as the search feature on here is hit or miss.

Good score! In old Performance Red, too. Good color. Fix it up and get your grind on

Free is always good. Welcome the X club!

At least from that picture I don't see much rust on it so it's already off to a good start. Have some fun with it.

only rust was under back door where the running board is on drivers side I got a piece of metal in running board bolted to backside of it then welded in a few places holding it up

only rust was under back door where the running board is on drivers side I got a piece of metal in running board bolted to backside of it then welded in a few places holding it up

Thats common, my 93 is worse then yours. Good thing is you can buy new "doglegs" for around $40 and weld them in. I plan on doing it just haven't got around to it.

Also I wouldnt buy a catback system, most of them the muffler hangs side ways so its a good 4 to 5 inches below the frame. If you wheel, it will get crushed or ripped off. My advice to you, get a flange and a muffler hanger, and some bolts buy a stick of 2.25 diameter exhaust pipe and choose your own muffler. Looks like you can weld so that will be no problem. Bolt it up and your good to go. If you want to dump it there cool, if not get an exhaust shop to bend the rest for ya.

Back