A few things irking my nerve :/ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few things irking my nerve :/

bknygurly

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer

Purchased a 2014 base model explorer in Nov 2014
After a few wks of having this truck I noticed that.. I am not able to use more then one bluetooth device at a time? Also half the time my BT wont work.. (never had this issue in my other truck).
SYNC sucks.. It will show on my screen my ipod is hooked up but it will not play.. (it says SYNC line in) ?
My radar detector is on 24/7 no matter which lighter jack I have it plugged into even after I turn the truck off( again never an issue in any other car/truck I owned)
I can turn the radio on with out the key being in the ignition :/
Are any of these things normal?
I have taken it to the Ford dealer and they said they couldnt find anything wrong...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With my 2013 XLT (for comparison)
Zero BT issues
Zero Sync issues
12V outlets are always "hot" in the Ex vs. Asian/European vehicles
The Radio will turn on per design for a limited amount of time after shut off.

I always thought one of the "pros" about ford cars was non-ignition switched power outlets. Owners from other brands don't seem to like that change, though.

For SYNC, I've had to select USB versus bluetooth for audio inputs like audible audio books from my phone versus USB thumbdrives for mp3 files.

My wife has had some android phones that work flawlessly with her SYNC systems and some that are very unstable. Maybe SYNC sucks? maybe the phone sucks? Probably both.

I bought a new jeep wrangler rubicon with manual locks, windows, ignition, and the simplest non-connectable radio available to avoid all the issues my wife's cars are having.

Good luck to you.

With my BT it shows that I have a device connected.. Which would be my Iphone 6.. However when I have incoming calls I have to use the actual phone in order to answer my call...

As far as the radio being able to turn on with out the key being in the ignition I'm talking about hours after the truck is shut off... usually 5+ hrs or more and this still happens :/

I don't have a USB option to select however I do have an AUX button.. I have my Ipod plugged in via USB but AUX is the option I have to select in order to use my Ipod... And again it works pretty much when it wants to... I have cleared out the settings as far as BT and what not and still nothing....

Thank you to all that have replied to my silliness with these lil things :)

You can turn the radio on at any time after the vehicle is shut off. That is the way it is designed to work. I personally like that feature. It will turn off after a period of time. I think it is 20 minutes or so. Much longer than the 10 minute auto power off feature. I believe the 12V outlets in my Highlanders were also live full time.

Peter

After a few wks of having this truck I noticed that.. I am not able to use more then one bluetooth device at a time? Also half the time my BT wont work.. (never had this issue in my other truck).
SYNC sucks.. It will show on my screen my ipod is hooked up but it will not play.. (it says SYNC line in) ?
My radar detector is on 24/7 no matter which lighter jack I have it plugged into even after I turn the truck off( again never an issue in any other car/truck I owned)
I have taken it to the Ford dealer and they said they couldnt find anything wrong...
I would suggest that the issues you have with Bluetooth and SYNC should be posted in the In Vehicle Technology sub forum. I believe there are some threads on that there already and if not, Rebecca, the Ford IVT Rep may be able to help.

Peter

Thank you Peterk9 !! I will check out the other fourm :)

was this a pre-owned vehicle? sounds like someone moved the radio power source to an always hot circuit

It was pre-owned.. How ever it belonged to an older gentleman and his wife so I doubt they did anything to it... I know for a fact they purchased it brand new... And traded it in before it even had 10k on it

I have an F-150 with the similar set up. I think you can pair more than one blue tooth devices to the SYNC system, it just won't connect more than two at once during operation. Similar to how MFT is except with MFT, you can have one device for phone and the other for music.

I don't think the SYNC system with the non-MFT will play songs via USB or blue tooth. I had to connect it externally with a 3.5 mm male on both end cable to get it to play on SYNC line in.

The 12V are always hot but that's good because I like to leave things charging in my car without me having to turn on my car or something.

You can definitely turn on the radio without the key. I personally like it because there are times when I didn't have my key, was too lazy to get it, and I wanted to charge my iPod.

so you have to turn the radio off every time you turn off the vehicle?

so you have to turn the radio off every time you turn off the vehicle?

No....all the newer Fords you can turn the radio on without the key turned on. It will time out after like 20 minutes or when it senses power is getting low.

Otherwise the radio functions as it should, ie took a drive, get home, shut the key off, get out of the car and the radio and all accessories shut off.

OASIS MESSAGE:
Some customers may notice that the radio can be turned on after the ignition isturned off and the door is opened. All 2012-2014 Focus, 2013-2014 C-Max, Edge, Escape, Explorer, Fiesta, Flex, Fusion, MKS, MKT, MKX, MKZ, Taurus, Police Sedan, Police Utility, and 2015 Transit are equipped with an Audio Extended Play Modewhich allows the radio to be turned back on after other accessories have been turned off with the accessory delay feature. As long as the accessory delay feature is able to turn the radio and accessories off, it is normal operation for theradio to be turned back on using the audio power button on the FCIM. Reference section 415-00 of the workshop manual for the description and operation of the Audio Extended Play Mode.

I have an F-150 with the similar set up. I think you can pair more than one blue tooth devices to the SYNC system, it just won't connect more than two at once during operation. Similar to how MFT is except with MFT, you can have one device for phone and the other for music.

I don't think the SYNC system with the non-MFT will play songs via USB or blue tooth. I had to connect it externally with a 3.5 mm male on both end cable to get it to play on SYNC line in.

The 12V are always hot but that's good because I like to leave things charging in my car without me having to turn on my car or something.

You can definitely turn on the radio without the key. I personally like it because there are times when I didn't have my key, was too lazy to get it, and I wanted to charge my iPod.

SYNC... When I have my ipod plugged in via usb it will only work half the time.... I have an audio cable to use in the aux jack... However my Ipod is so old after being off the charge cable it will only work for 15-20 mins max before it dies..

I have my phone paired right now and it is not working at all... I still have to pick my phone up and answer the call even though it is linked... I even took my Ipod out to make sure it wasnt picking it up... So given the fact it wont work with my phone I doubt I will be able to pair more then one device via BT...

Being able to use the radio even after my truck is off for hrs is strange to me... LOL

What type of phone? Have you made sure the phone is compatible with SYNC? What about the phone settings and the SYNC BT setting for the paired phone. Have you checked all of those settings?

I just learned something new.

jmr061
I have an Iphone 6 which is a device listed

jmr061
I have an Iphone 6 which is a device listed

SSM 45123 - Various SYNC Equipped Vehicles – Apple iOS 8 and or iPhone 6 Functional Issues
Some customers with SYNC equipped vehicles may experience Bluetooth connectivity issues after upgrading to Apple iOS 8/8.01/8.02 or using an iPhone 6 with SYNC. This is not a SYNC hardware or software concern. Apple advised that release iOS 8.1 resolved Bluetooth connectivity issues. Please direct customers to update to Apple iOS 8.1 or later. If this doesn't resolve customer connectivity concerns, direct customer to the following Apple support URL: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6473.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also have you checked to make sure your SYNC version is current?

Back