• Register Today It's free!

What fuel range do you guys get?

JDLCA

Reaction score
City, State
La Puente, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all, just got back yesterday from a trip to the Grand Canyon with three friends, camped out and had a great time, the back of the Explorer was a great shelter while we watched the rain and snow fall at our campground in the woods.

Now it may just be me, especially because the Explorer was loaded with four people and filled up completely with camping stuff and bags but I felt like my mileage was horrendous. I got 230 miles on one tank, to be fair like I said she was completely loaded and we did have some hill climbing the way back, but just wanted to know if that sounds about right? or if it should be more? Probably wouldn't of been so bad if we didn't have all the gear and 4 of us haha but just wondering.. What do you guys average on a full tank?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need some more info. Size fuel tank.Size motor, 2 or 4 wheel etc. MPG is not a strong point for these vehicles. However, you need to get a baseline reading of MPG for your vehicle with around town/highway/mixed then go from there. Any number of factors can affect MPG like tire type and pressure, whether A/C is being used, Altitude, fluids in transfer case and differential etc... If you traveled 230 miles on 18 gallons of fuel, that's almost 13 MPG. I would think that's not to bad considering the weight you mentioned.

There are an infinite number of posts on this and many other sites regarding MPG and getting the most out of these vehicles. My advice is to get a baseline and go from there

Sounds about right I went up to Flag for the Overland expo, 320 miles total, 56 miles off-road on the fire service/logging roads, Used 24 gallons. = 13.5mpg.

I usually get 15.5 around town and 20 hwy. Which are both above the EPA rating of 14 & 18 for the Automatic trans. 15 & 19 was the EPA rating for standard trans.

Mine has 31" mud terrains and 3:73 gears. Also loaded heavy, weighs in at 4680 with my normal daily routine as I carry about 550lb worth of tools for work. For the trip some of the tools come out and camp gear goes in so it's about the same.

You suffer a bit at high altitude. The computer will compensate some for this but it takes a few days at altitude for it adjust.

Oh and I never run over 65 mph. any higher and the gas goes a bye bye.

Mine is completely stock, 240k miles, auto. With an 18 gallon tank, and the a/c on, I get about 19mpg mixed highway/city. When I take it on long trips, I get just shy of 22mpg.... And that's with two adults and two kids (well, one of the kids is adult sized. Lol) .

Mine is all stock. When it's running healthy, I get about 20-22 mpg highway.

Mine's an 02, but the point still stands: I get 380 miles/tank if I go off the trip odometer. I get 415 miles/tank if I go off the GPS' EcoRoute tool.

o.0

The grand canyon is at 9500 ft. That's up hill all the way from Cali.

You can't compare flat land mileage to mountain terrain.

Lol I wish I got the mileage you guys get, I get around 180 to the tank.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll start with getting a baseline by doing some measuring which I haven't done yet..

For basic info its a 4.0 4x4 with brand new Falken Rocky Mountain tires, I don't know what size tank it has, do they all have 18 gallon tanks?

I did notice the elevation signs while we were around Flagstaff and driving down the 17 but I swear I saw the needle heading towards the "E" really quick, thank god Arizona is freakin awesome and still has gas at 2.73 per gallon :thumbsup: FR425 said that going over 65 drains the fuel and there was a good portion I drove staying at 70 to 80 at some point so that probably didn't help, I tried to use the cruise control as much as I could because in my old Mercedes the cruise control would give better mileage so I was using the same logic, don't know if its the same though with these Explorers?

Either way she did me real well on the trip, no problems or anything, I'll start with that baseline measuring and report back what I'm running mileage wise..

All first gens have 19.1 gallon tanks.

I filled up yesterday, put about 16.5 gallons in, and had gone about 250 miles since my last fill up. That's 15 mpg, with very little highway driving.

I would say 250-300 miles on a tank for highway driving is normal. It also depends when you fill up. I start thinking about filling when it gets below 1/4 tank. You can get up to 20 mpg all highway, sometimes you get a good one that can get over 22. Average is going to be about 16-18 mpg. The explorers have decent range in my opinion. The b4000 I drive daily now has a tank about 15 gallons. Sometimes its pushing it to go 200 miles. It sucks when you regularly drive 225 miles round trip.

I have a '92 and a '94, both essentially stock. Both get around 17 mixed highway and city driving and both can do a bit above 20 on highway only - as long as I don't have to go above 70. The aerodynamics are about one tick shy of a brick, and the engines are not the most fuel-efficient, but I very much like the gen1's and the fact that they are reliable and I can do most of the work on them without expensive and special tools and equipment.

OP. 230 miles per tank in the tough conditions you describe (high alt, loaded down, mtns/hills) is pretty typical in my experience.

And as was said...these trucks came with 19.1 gallon tanks (variously, 19.3) from the factory.

1994 4X4 with 19.1 gallon tank and 224,000 miles on her,, new tires, new shocks, fresh fluids in transmission, transfer case, differentials and PS pump, new radiator, new thermostat, new plugs and wires, new PCV valve. Just drive 117 highway miles within a 700 mile trip from NC to MS and filled up when pit stopped for the dogs. Took just over 5 gallons for a mileage of 23.18 MPG. At that speed and mileage that would be 440 miles per tank. That is the best mileage I've ever recorded in the vehicle in the 20 years I've owned it. Speed limit was 70 but I drove about 65 as too much harmonic shake just over 70. Now I need to get the fuel gauge repaired (again) instead of using the trip odometer to measure out 350 miles before I should fill up.

That Doesnt even count. In that case, one time I drove back in a bad wind storm. It was a perfect tailwind of about 50 mph. On the 150 mile trip back I drove 55 mph without stopping , I thought my fuel gauge was broken. Nope, when I filled up, it came to 37 mpg.:eek:

I got terrible gas mileage with rust holes in my EGR system. Since that's fixed I have yet to calculate off this tank, but it's looking like around 20 -22mpg. 96 v6 ohv 4x4 manual (so I'm coasting almost all the time ;)

Fair enough 2stroke... Previous fill up which included 100+ city and 150 + highway miles came in at 19.5 which was what similar to what I used to get on the highway a year or so back. In the city I'm getting 16~ now. Was getting around 15. So I'm counting it as no tail wind. I agree it's not a full tank but it was just a short section of a long drive. :mattmoon: I'll see what my next fill up reads.

Update: After 917 miles, approx. 250 city miles, I'm averaging about 19.48 MPG. Pleased with the results. On the way home I'll check my highway miles. Expecting over 20 easy.

My Winter 94 X avg. 17.5 combined with winter blend gas of course in MN temps just kill gas mileage.... I drive no faster then 60 on highway. At stop lights nice and easy acceleration....Its Garage keep indoor so i dont have to let her warm up.. I bet that is avg. for 1st gen X's winter driving.

My Winter 94 X avg. 17.5 combined with winter blend gas of course in MN temps just kill gas mileage.... I drive no faster then 60 on highway. At stop lights nice and easy acceleration....Its Garage keep indoor so i dont have to let her warm up.. I bet that is avg. for 1st gen X's winter driving.

I'm at about 14.4 with cool weather/winter driving. Done all the tuneups I can, clean synthetic oil in everything. I think it just boils down to short trips and little highway driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy everyone! This is my first ever post here! It's also my first ever reply! Glad to be part of the community!

Anywho, my fuel gauge doesn't work, never has since I bought the truck back a few months ago. I've been using my trip to tell me when to fill up. I can drive roughly 200 miles before I need gas, not accounting for idle and starting. Never went passed that, since without dipping the tank, I have no idea how close I am to empty until I fill up. I drive a 93 xlt 4.0 v6 auto with ac (even though it needs recharging). It's my daily driver, with mixed highway and inner city. Sometimes hilly terrain, sometimes dirt, depends on where in Connecticut I am.

Back