Adding dashcam. Any tips? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding dashcam. Any tips?

Hey Guys,

I have a dash cam that I would like to hard wire to come on when the ignition is turn on. It seems the 12v that I would have tapped into is always hot. Has anyone else here tapped into another accessory that turns off and on with the ignition? I need to use the 12v adapter that is included with the camera because that reduces the 12v to 5v. What I did in my other car was to take a cigarette lighter and splice the wires behind my factory one and plug the camera in it.

Has anyone done this before in a 2011 Exp?

Thanks,

Did you buy one of the E-Prance dash cams?

I bought the 0803 w/GPS ($106usd on Amazon) very happy with it and great night time video.

The newer 0806 is my next purchase.

My friend took the 12v to 5v cig adapter apart so its just the circuit board size , then connected (solder) two wires off the 12v end of the adapter and connected those into switched power on the Explorer. Either up at the maplights or down at the fuse block.

I almost blew up my camera by cutting off the cig adapter until I realized it drops the amperage.....YIKES!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you buy one of the E-Prance dash cams?

I bought the 0803 w/GPS ($106usd on Amazon) very happy with it and great night time video.

The newer 0806 is my next purchase.

My friend took the 12v to 5v cig adapter apart so its just the circuit board size , then connected (solder) two wires off the 12v end of the adapter and connected those into switched power on the Explorer. Either up at the maplights or down at the fuse block.

I almost blew up my camera by cutting off the cig adapter until I realized it drops the amperage.....YIKES!

As a matter of fact I do have the e-prance 806. I believe the 803 has the mini usb port and the 806 has the micro. I don't know of anything else that is different. I have one in my Camry and like it so far.
That is a good idea about taking the plastic cig adapter apart and adding wires off of that. My dad did the same thing as you an just ran a wire not knowing about the 12v to 5v deal. He said it was making a loud whine noise and was getting hot.

Roadhawk HD is the way to go from what I've seen, missed them when they were $199 on Amazon last year. Tried the Garmin Dashcam 20, just too big , pain in the ass to take down every time, night quality wasnt great nor lighting compensation. No mapping ability either, just speed and GPS coordinates. But, if you submit this as evidence in an accident, be weary that anything on the recording can put you at fault just as much, especially if you're speeding or acting a fool. And even without GPS, point-to-point speed calculations are very very easy to determine

As a matter of fact I do have the e-prance 806. I believe the 803 has the mini usb port and the 806 has the micro. I don't know of anything else that is different. I have one in my Camry and like it so far.
That is a good idea about taking the plastic cig adapter apart and adding wires off of that. My dad did the same thing as you an just ran a wire not knowing about the 12v to 5v deal. He said it was making a loud whine noise and was getting hot.

I have the 0801, just installed it a few weeks ago. I taped into the overhead (rearview mirror wire) and used a 12v to 5v converter I found on Amazon (of course mine was micro USB.) I haven't had any issues yet, but haven't had it in the summer yet either.

You would need something like this http://amzn.com/B007O59Z7I I'm not sure what the MAH rating is on the 0806, so you'd want to keep that in mind.

Good luck

Hey folks, just installed the Transcend Drivepro 200 and managed to trace the cable around the top windscreen down the passenger door seal and over to the center console 12v cigarette lighter with no cable to spare! Now some of you guys have done some snipping and soldering but I don't feel confident doing that at all, so is there anyway I can isolate the power from the center console so I'm not having to pull the plug in and out all the time? Thanks.

I am starting the look for/research on a dashcam myself.

I am starting the look for/research on a dashcam myself.

Loving mine more every day. This was this morning on the drive to work, I only saw the guy right before the camera saw him. Look to the right of the screen, and he shows up at about the 6 second mark.

https://youtu.be/Odi4aiZ6vhc

I'm planning on going with http://dod-tech.us/ I saw there products at the Toronto Auto Show this year and was quite impressed.

Waiting to get the Champion SP1 or the LS460W if it gets a nice price drop once the SP1 is released. I to am trying to figure how I will hard wire the device.

Am I the only one concerned about GPS in a dash cam? It's hard to always go the speed limit. I can see it being used against you in a accident - say going 58 in a 55 mph zone.

Am I the only one concerned about GPS in a dash cam? It's hard to always go the speed limit. I can see it being used against you in a accident - say going 58 in a 55 mph zone.
The information is already available from the 'black box' (Event Data Recorder) that is in the Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

From the Owner's Guide;
The EDR in this vehicle is
designed to record such data as:
• How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
• Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were
buckled/fastened;
• How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator
and/or the brake pedal;
• How fast the vehicle was travelling;
• Where the driver was positioning the steering wheel.
This data can help provide a better understanding of the
circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur.

Peter

The information is already available from the 'black box' (Event Data Recorder) that is in the Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

From the Owner's Guide;
The EDR in this vehicle is
designed to record such data as:
• How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
• Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were
buckled/fastened;
• How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator
and/or the brake pedal;
• How fast the vehicle was travelling;
• Where the driver was positioning the steering wheel.
This data can help provide a better understanding of the
circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur.

Peter

It's my vehicle that I own outright. I have the title. I paid for it and everything in it ..... I do not like that I paid for something I, the owner or the vehicle, does not want ....... where's the off switch ....... better yet, where is it, so I can remove it and stick it up the posterior orifice of whoever decided I must have it in my car.

It's my vehicle that I own outright. I have the title. I paid for it and everything in it ..... I do not like that I paid for something I, the owner or the vehicle, does not want ....... where's the off switch ....... better yet, where is it, so I can remove it and stick it up the posterior orifice of whoever decided I must have it in my car.
It is mandated by the government. Became law September 1, 2014 but apparently manufacturers had already been installing them.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/governm...k-boxes-in-new-cars-raising-privacy-concerns/

Peter

Police need a warrant to download your airbag module data recording. Its not something thats done unless there's a fatality or extreme negligence where civil or criminal action may be taken against a driver.

I have had my E-Prance 0803 dashcam/gps for almost a year, I turned off the audio and I have it set to record in 3 minute segments so I can give the segment to a lawyer or insurance company, or Police and not have to disclose anything else. The E-Prance are able to record in 1 minute segments if desired.

One of the biggest issues today is civil liability. Unless you have an unbiased witness who saw what happened, your getting blamed for at least 50%. If you get hit by a driver and they ran a red light and your camera shows you had the green your not going to be liable for anything.

Speed has to be shown to be a mitigating factor in the incident, speed itself isn't usually the root cause for Motor Vehicle Incidents, human error is. That's why I record the other drivers error.

Police need a warrant to download your airbag module data recording. Its not something thats done unless there's a fatality or extreme negligence where civil or criminal action may be taken against a driver.

I have had my E-Prance 0803 dashcam/gps for almost a year, I turned off the audio and I have it set to record in 3 minute segments so I can give the segment to a lawyer or insurance company, or Police and not have to disclose anything else. The E-Prance are able to record in 1 minute segments if desired.

One of the biggest issues today is civil liability. Unless you have an unbiased witness who saw what happened, your getting blamed for at least 50%. If you get hit by a driver and they ran a red light and your camera shows you had the green your not going to be liable for anything.

Speed has to be shown to be a mitigating factor in the incident, speed itself isn't usually the root cause for Motor Vehicle Incidents, human error is. That's why I record the other drivers error.

Police need a warrant to search my home. I can choose to not have internal surveillance cameras in my home that could incriminate me. I can't choose to not have a surveillance system in my privately owned vehicle that could incriminate me.

Mind you, it's not as if I am or intend to do anything wrong, but a big part of the U.S Constitution goes to your right to be silent and not incriminate yourself. EDR's just fly in the face of that principle. Choosing to use a dash cam is one thing. You have no choice with an EDR in regards to self-incrimination.

Strikes me as patently unconstitutional, but that's nothing new.

Hardwire Dashcam to rearview mirror

I am going to install a dash-cam and hard wire it to the rear view mirror. I did a search on previous posts but non had technical information.

Anyone has done it, and can advice on how to access the wiring, which wires to tap the power from, and any other tips regarding the installation?

Thanks!

endino, I did a 'Search' and found this thread and merged yours with it. Check out post 16.

Peter

endino, I did a 'Search' and found this thread and merged yours with it. Check out post 16.

Peter

Thanks Peter! Very helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

. . . how hard it is to access the passenger compartment fuse box in the XSport.

I was doing the recon this afternoon in preparation for my hard wired dashcam and V1 install this weekend. So I have to keep a 7mm socket or wrench in the car because the fuse box is stuffed sideways under / up in the dash buried behind the lower dash trim. First time I have ever run into something like this. Also love that the owners manual makes no mention of this ("the passenger compartment fuse box is located to the left of the steering column under the brake" - sure it is ;) ). I had to Google to find the fuse box location.

Really no big deal, I hope I will not be in there again, but what a design. Still love my XSport :thumbsup: but wow, they couldn't do better than this?? Our Audi has the fuses front and center on the dashboard end caps and they are immediately accessible when the doors are open. Oh well...

Back