Driveway flexing!
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
I am getting ready to install my Torque Monster headers on my 5.0 and would like to install a new set of spark plug wires. There seems to be very minimal options for this application. I suspect that this is mostly due to the EDIS connector on the coil pack end of the wires. I have only been able to find a couple of the cheap OEM replacment type kits at the various retailers. Probably the best of these is the Motocraft ones. I was hopeing to find a way to use a cut-to-length type of kit so that I can rout the wires however they need to be routed after the header install.

I would have really liked to use something with ceramic spark plug boots like this:
ACCEL Extreme 9000 Ceramic Spark Plug Wire Sets 9002C
But I cannot find a source for the EDIS ends that I would need to use for the coil packs.

I thought that I had seen in a thread somewhere that there was another company that sold just the ends that you could install on to the wires. Anyone have any ideas on a sounce for EDIS ends or another option for spark plug wires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are a couple of companies that do make them, but yup they are hard to find. one i found is aurora's but they didnt even make it 60 miles before the boots melted (and i have spark plug boot protectors on), and started missing. they also dont really stand behind them anymore either. best thing so far are the motorcraft ones

I ran the performance distributors wires for a while and still have them. They make sets for tmh. I ran boots on mine and on some that were real problematic, I acquired a ceramic/aluminum insulator shield that I installed over the plug boot and never had any problems.

I ran the performance distributors wires for a while and still have them. They make sets for tmh. I ran boots on mine and on some that were real problematic, I acquired a ceramic/aluminum insulator shield that I installed over the plug boot and never had any problems.

Do you mean this one: C9057-EX Ford Explorer 5.0, 1995-2001, 135° boots (distributorless ignition)

That looks allot more like what I am looking for. The site even says that for an extra $10 they will make a custom length set. Hmmm, I may consider that.

Looks like they offer it in a kit with a high performance coil pack set also: performancedistributors.com

If they were the ceramic spark plug boots I think my search would be over. I just may end up with these though.

Hmmm, here is another option: http://auroraignitionwires.com/ They have several models for the various configuration of our rigs. I am thinking the one for my application is "95324 Ignition Wire Set".

OK, so I found a bunch of links that I saved a while back with the intention of doing the wires at some point. Most of them were dead, but with a little persistance I was able to heal them.

Recipie for altamate spark plug wires:

1. Start with some nice ceramic insulator spark plug wires like the Accel Extreme 9000 Ceramic, Spiral Core, 8mm, Black, 115 Degree Boots, Universal, V8 spark plug wires. they are just under $100 as of this writing. You are not going to use the ends that come in this universal kit, they are for distributer type applications.

2. get yourself some of the correct end parts for terminating the EDIS or coil pack end of the cables:
- Kingsbornewires.com DT7B-HB Distributor Terminal $3.75 for 10 + S&H
- Kingsbornewires.com Distributor Boot S-1731+ Clip &16 for 10 + S&H

3. get yourself some sort of GOOD crimping setup for installing the terminals. I have used these in the past: Accel stamps $8

4. you should also get some way of marking the wire numbers $4

5. Keep what isn't ceramic protected with some kingsbornewires.com WSP-310-BK Spark Plug Boot Insulator 7.5" long $24.90 for 8 pieces

When I do this I think I will do a writeup.

I'm using accel ceramic wire, all I did was use my old tower boots with new plugs supplied with the wires, I take some pics to show after work

Edit: here's that picture
8BDB62B4-5E93-46B3-989F-C4C9D298A1E3_zps5wjuiqmo.jpg

27057DF6-46A3-4FA2-BCDB-5C6E4495191F_zps51gvxt9c.jpg

Hmmm, here is another option: http://auroraignitionwires.com/ They have several models for the various configuration of our rigs. I am thinking the one for my application is "95324 Ignition Wire Set".

stay away. i, as well as another member had these. mine didnt even last 100kms (60 miles) and they didnt seem to want to help either, even though i had them for not even a month.

Good to know.

I ordered the list of parts for my "ultimate" spark plug wires. Now I just need to find the time and desire to install the headers. I just recently became unemployed so I guess the time should be easy enough to come by.

Dan

Do you mean this one: C9057-EX Ford Explorer 5.0, 1995-2001, 135° boots (distributorless ignition)

That looks allot more like what I am looking for. The site even says that for an extra $10 they will make a custom length set. Hmmm, I may consider that.

Looks like they offer it in a kit with a high performance coil pack set also: performancedistributors.com

If they were the ceramic spark plug boots I think my search would be over. I just may end up with these though.
Yeah, except I got mine from performance distributors. They made mine in custom lengths. I don't remember where I acquired the ceramic/aluminum heat shields for the plug end but it is well worth whatever it cost. The only burnt plug end I ever had was one that I never ran a sock or the ceramic cover on. Search Google for ceramic plug boot cover, it should come up. I may have even gotten it from summit.

Thanks for the info. For me I think just having the ceramic ends and the socks should be way fine, but for those that read this thread in the future, the ceramic heat shields sound like a great idea.

When I eventually get around to doing these I let everyone know how it went.

I ditched the use of insulating socks altogether and had better luck with my TMH. Go figure. The socks seem to attract and conduct heat and slowly cook the boots until they get spongy and the wires start to misfire.

Tim, with careful routing using MSD wire looms, I'm having better luck with Aurora. I like the custom wires with bendable terminals. I have a few right angle ones too. Having good luck with two Motorcraft heat shields off some OEM plugs with two of the eight wires, using the bendable terminals in those.

I am getting ready to install my Torque Monster headers on my 5.0 and would like to install a new set of spark plug wires. There seems to be very minimal options for this application. I suspect that this is mostly due to the EDIS connector on the coil pack end of the wires. I have only been able to find a couple of the cheap OEM replacment type kits at the various retailers. Probably the best of these is the Motocraft ones. I was hopeing to find a way to use a cut-to-length type of kit so that I can rout the wires however they need to be routed after the header install.

I would have really liked to use something with ceramic spark plug boots like this:
ACCEL Extreme 9000 Ceramic Spark Plug Wire Sets 9002C
But I cannot find a source for the EDIS ends that I would need to use for the coil packs.

I thought that I had seen in a thread somewhere that there was another company that sold just the ends that you could install on to the wires. Anyone have any ideas on a sounce for EDIS ends or another option for spark plug wires?

These guys? You can only get the raw parts through a local distributor. But you can make almost anything you want. I do it all the time for the stationary engines I work on.

http://www.bgservice.com/index.html

So I bought Aurora wires, based on earlier reports. I'd like to make them work.
I have Summit block hugger headers and a couple wires look like the wires would rest on the headers. I bought some insulators but am uncertain about pulling the factory boots to install them.
Anybody remove and reinstall the Aurora boots?

ps mine is an engine swap. Not an Explorer.

Accel Wires w/ Ceramic boots ---FTW!

I FINALLY did the deed and bought several Accel wires w/ ceramic boots. I use a combination of 90, 135 and straight bend boots. Bought the Accel crimping tool from Amazon and terminals/boots from Magnecor.

WOW, for the first time since I purchased my 5.0, I think I'm firing on all 8 cylinders at the same time. Truck runs so smooth. :)

Great purchase.

Dead Link Removed

p.s. The powdercoat looks great after all these years Jonny. :)

What did all that cost you in the end? I had to buy new wires because I broke a few pulling them off the plugs while changing them out. Luckily, O'Reileys had a box of Motorcraft in stock.

What did all that cost you in the end? I had to buy new wires because I broke a few pulling them off the plugs while changing them out. Luckily, O'Reileys had a box of Motorcraft in stock.

Hard to say what final cost was since I have plenty of spare parts now in reserve.

I bought full sets of 8 for the 90 and 135 degree booted wires.

I also bought two straight wires (Accel sells them individually but it's pricier if you go that route). I used both the straight ones on the passenger's side. Ended up using mostly 90 degree boots with a couple of 135s.

I think final count was 2 X 180 degree, 2 X 135 degree and 4 X 90. I could have used a 135 in place of a straight one if needed.

I now have 90/135 spares in the unlikely event I have issues.

I scored 8X terminals and boots from Magnecor and another 20 of each from Kingsborne. Good thing I bought extras because I trashed a few terminals while trying to figure out the crimping tool.

Ended up using 7X Magnecor and 1X Kingsborne. Quality is similar (very high end just like you'd see on OEM), but I prefer the Magnecor terminals. They were a bit easier to slide through the 90 degree coil pack boots. I ended up trimming the coil back boots a few mm. Made it easier to thread the terminals through before the final bending.

The Accel tool was around $60. MSD sells one that is very similar but costs more up here. I highly recommend the tool, but found I had to give the terminal a bit more "oomph" with some needle nose to make sure the terminals were firmly in place. I pulled a few terminals off by accident while trying to thread them through the coil boots. Was way easier once I learned to trim the boot as mentioned above.

Assuming you're in the US, you'd get all these for much cheaper than I paid (I'm in Canada). We get gouged on auto parts up here and don't have all the vendors you guys do down there. I got my wires from Amazon.ca (pretty good deal relative to US). All terminals and boots were from US. Customer service at Magnecor and Kingsborne was exceptional. Magnecor sells everything individually. Kingsborne sold them in "lots" (hence the 20 I ended up with...I think I had to buy two lots of 10).

It was money and time well spent. My truck has never been better. I've burned through my share of Magnecor, Aurora and Motorcraft wires since I got the headers put on. I don't see that happening again any time soon. :)

Bump.....Celly, do you have any tips on crimping the ends on? Did you feed the wire thru the boot and clip, then crimp the end on? I can guess that you would really need to push the crimped end back in to the boot rather than pull the wire.

I have the wires and ends. Vroomzoomboom has a crimper I can borrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.....Celly, do you have any tips on crimping the ends on? Did you feed the wire thru the boot and clip, then crimp the end on? I can guess that you would really need to push the crimped end back in to the boot rather than pull the wire.

I have the wires and ends. Vroomzoomboom has a crimper I can borrow.

No tips that I can remember now. Just double and triple check to make sure crimps are firm. I blew through a lot of extra terminals to finally get a technique down.

Back