2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

bmmz, I am running an unleashed tune and this issue is present stock and tuned. It is caused by a faulty electronic throttle body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have given up on a fix. Just going to live with it until we can unload it for something other than a Ford product. I know all brands have issues here and there but I hate playing the service game: no code no fix, no TSA no fix, no reproduce (ya right!) no fix.

There are factory Ford Service people on here that are reading and replying but the dealer says Ford hasn't heard of this. Really?

Been buying Fords for most of my adult life, and my wife has driven Fords exclusively for over 25 yrs, time for a change.

I have the same issue on my 2015 sport. Its only occured within the first 3 or 4 minutes of driving. It only occurs every few weeks. It only occurs above about 30% throttle input and its like there is a big mysterious power hole at any throttle setting above that. Its feels as though the traction control is stepping in and killing the power. It has occured only after a turn (and acceleration onto main road). We are not talking about WOT with a cold engine here. Something is wrong.

This would happen in my 2011 F-150 with the ecoboost engine, and it happens to a lot of people according to the F-150 forums I visited. Most people there speculate that it's the traction control kicking in as well.

Regardless it's rather annoying and wish there was a fix for it. What I tried to keep in mind when I needed to make a turn in a tight window is to not try to lay into the gas too much right away. Get moving a little bit and hold for a second or so and then press the accelerator more and more to get moving quickly. It's not as quick as being able to stomp on the gas to get moving but it's a lot less nerve wracking than stomping and then that dreaded feeling of no power when you have a vehicle closing distance on you.

I haven't experienced it in my Explorer yet, but I've only had it for a week and less than 300 miles.

Hi Guys. This is my first post so please forgive me if I mess it up. I bought a 2015 Explorer Sport in Oct of 2014. We had to pick it up in SK and drive back to MB so our first trip was about 1100km. When I parked it in the garage I noticed 2 things, the car stunk of coolant and the front bumper had popped out by the drivers side fender. It was obvious that the bumper was misaligned since it was so tight it popped off the clips at the top and there was a proper gap at the bottom of the interface with the fender. Dealer told me coolant smells were normal break in..... and the body shop guy just leaned on the bumper till it clicked back in. Took it home, still stunk of coolant and the bumper had popped again. I won't go into more detail about that here but there are a number of body alignment issues that have never been rectified. The reason I posted here is that in March my engine developed a stumble/surge, usually when cold, usually at low throttle right after backing out of the garage. Dealership could reproduce the stumble but there were no codes. The also couldn't find the coolant leak. They actually accused me of overfilling the reservoir (4 liters in a month....) I know how to fill a tank between the fill lines..... I brought it to my dealer in Wpg I think 5 or so times for the coolant leak before I went to a dealer closer to home to try them. They couldn't find the coolant leak and told me the stumble might be because of my K&N intake. They also presented me with a bill for scanning the computer since there wasn't a code. I told them I would put the factory intake back in and if it stopped stumbling I would pay the bill. Yesterday I finally got around to putting the factory system back in. Backed out of garage, and immediately stumbled. Then, as I was staring at the motor trying to think of what could cause this issue I noticed one of my turbo hoses was slid back 1/2" from the stop on the plastic pipe coming over the motor. Checked the clamps, every single hose clamp on the turbo and intercooler was finger tight.. So now I'm running factory with tight clamps and we'll see what happens. Has anyone else had coolant leak issues? Nothing external showing now. There was an external leak at first but now it seems to just be eating the coolant. Sorry for the long post... it's been quite the journey!

Welcome to the Forum randym19ca.:wavey:
There is a thread on the body panel popping out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311383

As for the coolant leak, are you saying that there is no sign of a leak but yet you have to keep filling the reservoir? If so, it has to be going some where. Hopefully it is not the same issue the following member had where there was a water pump failure and the coolant was making its way into the engine;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424482
Have you checked the front floor mats to see if perhaps there is a leak in the heater.

There is also a thread on the turbo hoses coming off;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383970&highlight=turbo+hose

Peter

Thanks a bunch for the info Peter! I didn't think I was the only one with these issues. The dealer always defaults to "you're the only person this has ever happened to". The most frustrating part is that both Parkside Ford and Fairway Ford seem to be incapable of diagnosing something that isn't on a TSB or throws a code in the computer. I spoke with the service rep at Fairway about the stumble remaining after I reinstalled the factory intake. He said it might take a while for the computer to re-learn after the change. I get that, I know that engine computers do that. I also know that I have pulled the battery negative twice to reset the computer and both times it stumbled intermittently afterwards and never improved. It has also very occasionally done absolutely nothing for about 2 seconds when I floor it from a standstill. Not lag, absolutely no response and then take off. As if the throttle doesn't move for the first 2 seconds after flooring it. What has me so frustrated is that both dealers keep telling me I have lots of warranty so just keep my eye on it. That's not acceptable. I bought a top of the line brand new Explorer so I wouldn't have to deal with the same issues I had on my 2005 Bonneville (which was a SUPER car by the way). Since the dealers aren't willing to investigate these issues I'm going to do it myself I guess. I plan to send an oil sample in to the lab to determine if there is coolant getting in so I don't grenade the motor like the guy in the linked thread above. I'll try to post some pics of the issues I have record of. Really sorry again for the rambling but I think they accidentally sold us the Explorer they were supposed to use for TSB training.... :mad: I also have some pics of the coolant leak (drivers side just behind firewall) in January. I think Parkside may have rectified that leak since there doesn't appear to be liquid coolant there anymore (unless its evaporating fast now in the summer). But the coolant level in the reservoir is continuously dropping still, there is just no external evidence that I can see. When it was up on the hoist though I could smell coolant between the oilpan and the firewall. Also to answer your question we can only smell coolant outside the car, never inside so I don't think there will be coolant in the cab but thanks for the suggestion!
Front Bumper Drivers Side (Fixed as far as Parkside is concerned.....)
T0mPbs.jpg

Rear Bumper Drivers Side (Before fix. Fix isn't too bad, not perfect but I'll live)
VnZFPm.jpg

Coolant Leak Under Drivers Side
yDApQC.jpg

88Vw6t.jpg

You're welcome. I hope the issues are resolved quickly. BTW, I was able to drive a friends 1964 Bonneville convertible back in 1968. Red with black interior and stick shift. Verrry nice ride.:thumbsup:

Peter

Haha nice! I've owned a 1993 and a 2005. Both were really good family cars for me but we wanted a bit more room for the kids and some serious power for me so we got the Explorer! Just curious, what kind of 0-60 times are normal for the Sports? Before I bought it I had read about 5.9-6.9 seconds. Right now, according to crappy phone based apps for 1/4 mile times my 0-60 times are 7.5-8 seconds and it feels generally down on power. Problem is, as we all know, unless there is a huge, instant change in power it's really hard to use your backside as a dyno so I'm not certain its actually running slow.

Hope this isn't to late but I was having the same problem with my 14 Sport, solenoid on the wastegate valve on the turbo's was bad causing it to stay open. Fixed it in less than 24hrs under warranty

Interesting... Did that throw a code? I know with the K&N I can hear the wastegate activate when I come off throttle quick but it's conceivable that it sticks open at times. Was yours stuck open full time or just occasionally? Mine did this after I was trying some 0-60 times so it will have popped when I got to the end of the test and came off throttle.

Haha nice! I've owned a 1993 and a 2005. Both were really good family cars for me but we wanted a bit more room for the kids and some serious power for me so we got the Explorer! Just curious, what kind of 0-60 times are normal for the Sports? Before I bought it I had read about 5.9-6.9 seconds. Right now, according to crappy phone based apps for 1/4 mile times my 0-60 times are 7.5-8 seconds and it feels generally down on power. Problem is, as we all know, unless there is a huge, instant change in power it's really hard to use your backside as a dyno so I'm not certain its actually running slow.
According to my iPhone app "Dash Command', my 2015 Sport turned a 6.42 0-60 a while back (93 octane gas, ~3,500 miles, no special technique, normal mode). Using the same app, my wifes Audi S5 cab turned a 5.89 (~4,500 miles, 93 octane, no special technique, no launch mode, no sport mode, no dynamic mode) on the same day at approx the same time on the same road.

Rgds, Fred

. . .What I tried to keep in mind when I needed to make a turn in a tight window is to not try to lay into the gas too much right away. Get moving a little bit and hold for a second or so and then press the accelerator more and more to get moving quickly. It's not as quick as being able to stomp on the gas to get moving but it's a lot less nerve wracking than stomping and then that dreaded feeling of no power when you have a vehicle closing distance on you. . .
It's happened to me in the real world three times in ~4,700 miles. Everytime it is when I am at a stop or rolling slow in first or second gear and need to pull into another lane quickly (engine completely at normal operating temp). You pull out while flooring it and the Sport gives it just enough gas to put you in the path of the cars in the other lane and then cuts the throttle back to nothing for 1-2 seconds and then gives you full throttle again. Very, very dangerous. Never happens in a straight line. I can replicate it more often than not in a parking lot. I really think it is a bug in the "curve control" programming.

If I can ever remember to try it when I next have the chance (or when I have a chance in an empty parking lot) I'm going to try this in 'Sand mode' (no traction control, no curve control). I'll bet real money it doesn't exhibit this trait with curve control disabled.

Rgds, Fred

I'll have to try mine again. I thought I was going straight but I may have just done a U-turn. So if my app is close to right then my Explorer is definitely down on power. I launched by holding the brakes, flooring it then releasing so I should have been spooled and loaded before I took off. I'll try it with a stopwatch and the speedo to confirm though.

I'll have to try mine again. I thought I was going straight but I may have just done a U-turn. So if my app is close to right then my Explorer is definitely down on power. I launched by holding the brakes, flooring it then releasing so I should have been spooled and loaded before I took off. I'll try it with a stopwatch and the speedo to confirm though.
Watch your powerbraking technique to spool the turbos. Not sure for the Explo, but some of the current cars cut power when they sense what they think is too much throttle application while braking. Our S5 only responds correctly to powerbraking in launch mode and then it's really not powerbraking anyway, it's just running up to ~3,000rpm with the clutch(es) disengaged and dumping the clutch when you let off the brake. If you try to powerbrake it without launch mode, it just cuts the power back to practically nothing until you let up on the brake. It's supercharged rather than turbocharged and there's no traditional torque converter, so the power characteristics are different anyway.

Don't know why, but my first 0-60 run in the Sport was an 8.something. After that I was solidly in the mid 6s for the other 4 runs. Maybe I had something messed up on the app for the first run or it sensed a false early start.

Good luck!

Rgds, Fred

Good point. I'll try a more standard launch.

Count me in as another 15 sport with the dreaded Bog.

2800 kilometers.

Last week, fully warmed up. After a steady 4 or 5 kilometers on a straight surface street at 70 Kph, come up to a light turning green, roll through turning right and mash the pedal. Nothing, just a 2 or so second total bog, then it came back to life.

I actually wondered if I was imagining it. Apparently not. Flashback to dads brand new 1975 ford LTD 351 with stalling problems. :(

I was wondering if my Explorer was finding the right gear maybe before it launched...? I think I was slowly rolling as well when mine wouldn't take off. I was able to get the stability control power cut to happen around a corner, that is definitely not what happened when mine wouldn't take off.

Further to my coolant loss I have been trying to check every day or so. I checked it last Wednesday there was about an inch of coolant left in the reservoir. 2 days later I checked it and it was only slightly below the lower cold full line. I had my wife start the car and it immediately sucked it down to about the same level as Wednesday. I checked the next day and there was 1 inch in the tank and nothing changed as I started it. All checks were done after the Explorer had sat in the garage all night. I also checked my oil (I have about 4000 km on this oil change and it was about 1/8-1/4 inch over the full line. I mentioned that to the dealership and they did not think their guy would have overfilled it. I'd say there was coolant in the oil but it didn't appear milky at all..... When I smell it, if anything, it smells a little bit like gasoline. I'll compare it to my Firebird later tonight. When I listen to it idle in the garage it sounds like there are occasional misfires. I'm not sure though if that would be normal or not since I don't have anyone I know around here with a sport.

The dealership has told me to drive it till winter since coolant leaks are more apparent in winter. Am I being completely ridiculous when I think that I shouldn't have to drive a faulty, very expensive vehicle around all summer....? They keep telling me I have plenty enough warranty but what I'm worried about is that every km I put on is getting me closer to not having recourse with Ford on this car.

I would think that if there was an external leak it would show up where you parked no matter what season we are in.

Peter

This has happened to me repeatedly, maybe twice or so each month since I bought her a year ago. It seems that it always happens after a sharp right turn, never left. I'm working on trying to get it to replicate on demand so I can go to the dealership with some level of confidence that they'll be able to see it in action. Honestly, this problem has the potential to cause an accident. If it can't be fixed I'm seriously considering sending Ford a letter to go on record that if I get into an accident and am injured (or cause an injury) and the hesitation is to blame, I'll be pursuing legal action. Said letter will also go to my family and attorney as well.

Tony

EDIT - This happened to me for the first time after making a left U-Turn. I completed my turn and goosed the accelerator to keep ahead of the traffic closing in on me and....NOTHING. Only for or two or so seconds but nevertheless I can't help but think that since I'm a very assertive driver and probably leave less room for error than most drivers, that this hesitation may one day result in an accident or near-accident. It's very unnerving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Explorer Sport Surging/Sluggish

My 2014 Explorer Sport was a surge/sluggish between 50-60 mph, have been to dealership and of course they don't feel it and with it not throwing any codes
they say its running fine. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar
problem also has a rough idle at start up.

Back