Pulling Codes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling Codes?

JanChristian

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Is there a way to pull codes without an OBD scanner? On previous vehicles, it's usually done via a certain cycling of the key but I've never had a CEL on the Explorer until now. I searched here and checked the manual but couldn't find anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you are referring to was the OBD I system. All cars on 1996 and newer use the OBD II system.

Is there a way to pull codes without an OBD scanner? On previous vehicles, it's usually done via a certain cycling of the key but I've never had a CEL on the Explorer until now. I searched here and checked the manual but couldn't find anything

You can get a decent scanner for $40-$50. Explorers should come with one in the glove box as standard equipment.

Now that I think about it, why can't auto manufacturers incorporate one into the electronics and have it displayed on demand? Instead of a CEL, you get the code itself?

I bought a bluetooth OBDII scanner off of Amazon for $11 or $20, and then I installed Torque Pro on my phone for $5. I can read and clear codes as well as datalog on any of my vehicles. It's very handy.

What you are referring to was the OBD I system. All cars on 1996 and newer use the OBD II system.
no there are OBD II vehicles that use the same off-on-off-on-etc. cycle to display DTCs

You can get a decent scanner for $40-$50. Explorers should come with one in the glove box as standard equipment.

Now that I think about it, why can't auto manufacturers incorporate one into the electronics and have it displayed on demand? Instead of a CEL, you get the code itself?
haha yeah I plan to get one eventually

The "EVIC" on newer Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles has that capability I think.

The "EVIC" on newer Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles has that capability I think.

That's correct. Cycling the key will provide a "DTC Report" and show the actual codes http://wkjeeps.com/trouble_codes.htm#ERASE

Engine Link appears to be decent for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013773

I did not know you need a WiFi ELM237 for iOS phones. Interesting.
Awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

I picked up a ELM327 and got the Engine Link app, which worked great. It showed a code P0455: Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak). Hopefully it was just a dirty/bad seal on the fuel door. I'll try cleaning it

Does anyone know if Engine Link or any of the similar apps allow you to get the tire pressure for each tire? How about boost and some of the other non-standard sensor readings?

Those features would make it totally worthwhile to me!

Does anyone know if Engine Link or any of the similar apps allow you to get the tire pressure for each tire? How about boost and some of the other non-standard sensor readings?

Those features would make it totally worthwhile to me!
It does show boost/vacuum, but I didn't see anything related to tire psi

Back