what muffler sounds good with the 4.0? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what muffler sounds good with the 4.0?

It's my vehicle, I'm not telling people they should remove them or advising anyone to do so. I don't see the issue. As far as my other vehicles, i never said if they were even driven on the street. Your right on modern fuel injected computer controlled vehicles. this is not a modern system though. It's very early and not very sophisticated. Newer systems with multiple o2 sensors have sensors after the cats, some even between a multistage system. Eliminating them on these systems will definetely effect the things your saying as they take readings after the cat. An old fuel injection system with a single sensor in a manifold or downpipe like this has will not be affected by a different or lack of a cat. Even changing to a higher flowing cat on some vehicles can require tuning actually. It will read differently at the other end. Since this system does not take readings after the cats it would have zero bearing on engine operations in regards to fuel and computer controlled operations. I may keep them and likely will, I was just throwing ideas around to see if there was any input from people who have done it. No need for a freak out about it. Since they aren't bad they will probably stay, but if I were to remove them it would have no bearing on how the engine runs at all. Also these are restrictive cats, replacing with a high flow definetely helps with power. If it didn't nobody would replace them with a high flow unit. I have seen flow rates for these older cats, the high flow units definetely flow much better. I have been dealing with these older fuel injection systems and moddifying vehicles with them for a long time, ford in particular. I have also seen vehicles with cats that wouldn't pass emissions and lots without that passed with ease.

None of this is really relavent though, cats or no cats, the topic is mufflers. And for that the shorter turbo seems like it will be a good fit for what I'm looking for. I may look into the VT you mentioned, this is the first I've heard of it. Anybody else have any input on mufflers for these. I like to get a lot of options and research before I make a purchase (or do a new mod) planning and research eliminates most variables and possible issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhausts have been covered countless times on here. Why are we starting a new one?

Because the content is burried, new stuff is always coming out and almost all of the bolt on systems are no longer available. Things change. What was available and or was the best options years ago may not be the case anymore. Revisiting topics every now and then keeps them current. A lot of the stuff is nearly a decade old. Years at least.

We are talking Old explorers. When was the last time something new came out for them????

Personally I like the 30$ thrush turbo I just put on my truck, with new tailpipe. I still have the resonator which kills a ton of loudness but It has a good tone and if I get around to removing the resonator it should sound very good, especially compared to my glasspack I had on it before, which sounded terrible.

We are talking Old explorers. When was the last time something new came out for them????

You do realize a muffler is a pretty universal part right? There are always new mufflers coming out. And as far as cat backs for these almost all that used to be made are discontinued. Info i didnt read anywhere in here. If you have an issue with a new thread after years to update what is available and no longer available and what new stuff might be out that is a good option, then don't read it. I'm also trying to hear from people on what specific things sound like, not JUST what's available because I'm looking for a certain sound and don't want to waste a ton of money trying to find the muffler that will suit what I want. Pretty sure that's what these forums are for?

Anyways, I got sick of hearing the loud rattle and cut the muffler off for now, surprisingly with no exhaust after the cats but a
2 foot piece of pipe it really doesn't sound bad at all. It's just a little loud, but not bad. If it wasn't for the drone on the freeway at 3krpm I would probably just throw a bend on it with a tip coming out the side. It actually has a nice sound at idle and is about perfect on loudness for idle. I just need something to drop the volume a little bit over 2k rpm. Just removing some of the higher pitch noise and leaving the lower tones would be enough. After hearing it open like this I'm not sure the turbo will be loud enough for me. I'm assuming it quiets it down quite a bit. So what muffler is good for not Mifflin much and just removing some of the higher pitches exhaust sound without killing the idle volume?

Personally I like the 30$ thrush turbo I just put on my truck, with new tailpipe. I still have the resonator which kills a ton of loudness but It has a good tone and if I get around to removing the resonator it should sound very good, especially compared to my glasspack I had on it before, which sounded terrible.

What resonator? Since my exhaust was missing after the cats when I got it maybe I just never saw it, but I have never heard of these having a resonator on them. The 2 cats, feed into the large stock muffler, then just pipe over the axle. Or are you referring to the second cat as a resonator?

I have a Flowmaster Super 44 on my 93 Ex. 2.5" center, center. 2.5" pipe out of cat,(cut, welded in) It has a turn down behind the rear axle due to the chop and bed. its almost too quiet, cant hear it over the tires unless you on the gas.

LMAO oooo the irony of this thread!

I have had two different brand name mufflers on my last explorer (92 4dr 2wd 5 speed) exactly like your current one Chrome Rush.

I had a flowmaster dumped before the axle, it was very obnoxious cruising as it had a terrible drone.

Next I switched to a magnaflow dumped before the axle, it sounded pretty good IMO. It was too loud cruising and acceleration sound was decent. I liked it if that counts.

Both of these had no cats.

On my 93 sport I have flowmaster with it split to dual exhaust running straight out the back. This truck still has the cats on it and I think that is the key to having a flowmaster on the 4.0, as I don't have a terrible drone cruising.

As far as removing cats goes, yeah it's illegal, but so are drugs everyone knows that, people are still going to do both things.

That being said, when my cats went missing, it did free up some power because mine were stopped up. I did NOT have the ridiculous amount of money to replace them at the time, and two my truck didn't NEED to pass emissions inspection. Three my truck ran perfectly fine afterwards.

I'm not advocating illegal stuff, but it is your vehicle, so do what you do.

I'm on my third exploder and my personal opinion keep the cats and straight pipe it out the back. My first ex I chopped the muffler, kept the cats, and put a turn down on it, sounded awsome just alil loud. My second ex had hollowed cats, no muffler, and was pretty loud no turn down . My third ex the one I'm currently working on lil by lil has hollowed cats with a flowmaster 40 series. With my third one it has a pretty good sound with just the flowmaster 40 but not like my first exploder. If I woulda kept the cats it wouldn't of been so raspy like. But yeah I liked the sound of my exploder with cats no muffler, straight piped out the back or turned down after the rear axle. Oh yeah stock size exhaust pipe. Just my two cents

Recently I've really gotten to like true duals on a V6. It really gives them a rumble if done right. What really puts the icing on the cake is when you run two different mufflers. It works for I6 too. I heard a ford 300 with true duals (split manifold) and two different lengths of glass packs. It was probably the best sounding exhaust setup I have ever heard. Anyone ever try it on the explorer?

In case it helps...

Here is video/audio our '92 with a Flowmaster 40 muffler and generic high flow cat. using 2.25" pipe OUT from the cat. 2.5" pipe from cat to collector. Cat has been moved rearward away from transmission a good 8".

~Mark

let's freshen the thread

worse is DYNAMAX does not seem to have anything for the Gen 3 or newer.

If mileage is the target, which one of these gets the MPG up the best?

Any ohv is going to sound the same aside from maybe very slight differences from cats. I really want a nice low rumble. I'm thinking about the dynomax, but I'm not sure it's going to be quite loud enough for me. Like I said I'm not looking for obnoxious, but at the same time I really want to be able to hear it under throttle and at idle. Both inside and outside the truck. Not blocks away, but I want it to have some presence. I just got the think aligned after a mild lift and I want to drive it, but the rattling muffler is kind of a downer lol.
Dont think mine sounds the same...

Wicked
What exhaust is that?

What’s the whine under hood???

I have the cats hallowed out and a 40 series flowmaster with a full length tailpipe. Love the sound, almost sounds like a v8.

Wicked
What exhaust is that?

What’s the whine under hood???
Its a custom exhaust i built but has a flowmaster 40 delta..motor is built too but this is NA,the supercharger is not on it in this video. ...the whine is the air intake i built also..
2012-04-16193832_zps9c42e9e9.jpg

This is my ranger,its got custom true duals with flow master delta 50 suv mufflers..its got the supercharger on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That dual idea of yours is perfect, I wanted to do a dual, the IRS of the Gen 3 gets in the way, the side exit ahead of the wheels solves the problem and cost of looping over. Did you tie both sides together at some point?

Back