Need help identifying problem and part pic inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help identifying problem and part pic inside

therealchrisa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
Hi, new to the forums..been lurking for a while though

ok. so the 2004 explorer shakes and sputters as soon at it is turned on or just sits idle..it kinda gets a little more smoother at around 40mph..but it has a noticeable shake..i was told it was the motor but i dont believe so since it doesnt run hot and i was told this 4 or 5 months ago and the car is still running..ive had spark plugs changed already although i havent really driven it in a few weeks....i can see smoke kinda sputter out of exhuast too... i was told it was this part in the picture but i am out of town and i need to know so when i get back in town i can just grab it and save a trip to the shop...had it put on the little computer thingy and they said this was the reason for the sputter..could be wrong though

any help would be greatly appreciated..

2015_05_27_22_25_24.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mass air flow sensor

The circled part is your throttle body, the solenoid on the side of it is what actually controls the throttle valve. It doesn't use a cable like older versions. Maybe that's what they're saying is bad. I haven't messed with any electronic throttle bodies on the explorers so I can't say for sure that it sounds like your issue, but it is possible. Did they give you a diagnostic trouble code from the truck?

Mass air flow is located at the air filter box.

How about the smoke you were sayin'? Is it white or black color? Does it disappear after warming up or does even while cruisin'?

Sorry the link didn't work.

They start at about $350 for a new one.

Parts Geek has a reman for $119, but the link didn't work.

MT

Tried again but still won't work.

MT

Hi, new to the forums..been lurking for a while though

had it put on the little computer thingy and they said this was the reason for the sputter..could be wrong though

please post what that computer thingy shows, in car terms "what are/is the diagnostic trouble code(s) ?"

it could be a misfire or a bad cat but without the actual codes we're guessing here.

Du ranged is right on. What you have circled is the throttle body. Your Explorer is a DBW (drive by wire) system. The PCM sends electrical information to the solenoid (which is on the front of the throttle body in your picture) to open up the throttle plate. If it gets dirty or the throttle shaft gets "gummed up" it can effect throttle response. You can remove it (I'm pretty sure it is held on with 4-8mm or 10mm bolts. Make sure you use throttle body cleaner and not just carb cleaner I believe I read somewhere that the throttle body has some type of surface that doesn't like "just plain old carb cleaner." While it is out clean the throttle shaft (as it passes into the throttle body) real well, it is very susceptible to collecting unspent fuel and contaminants which gum up.
You can find these all over the place on eBay. The same throttle body is used on the Mustang (the solenoid may be on the opposite side), so there are all kind of hot rodders out there that are polishing and boring these out as part of there performance mods.

There is a common issue on the 2004-2005 model years where gunk builds up in the throttle body causing idle and starting issues. There is a TSB on this issue. Go on youtube and search for throttle body cleaning 2004 or 2005 explorer. Get a good product for cleaning, not carb cleaner as that's too agressive. It can be cleaned in place but best to remove the TB for good cleaning. Pretty easy job.

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb12-07-04.pdf

Start with cleaning the TB and post back after.

So you've narrowed your problem to just misfire. Black smoke indicates unburned fuel caused by misfiring cylinder 3. Just clean you throttle body and concentrate on the misfire. Could be bad wire or bad coil pack. If this two checks out ok shift you diagnosis to fuel injector #3 . It could be leaking and flooding your cylinder.

i had the coil pack replaced once..but it contiuned the shake afterwards so i took it back to the parts store lol

Are you using OEM parts on your ignition? Only three things that could contribute a misfire.
1. Too much fuel-caused by leaky injector
2. Too much air caused by leak on the intake manifold gasket on a specific cylinder
3. Spark issue.
(4. Cylinder leak)
any specific DTC's? Just curious on how you identify number 3 is misfiring?
Have you tried pulling spark plug wire with KOER on number 3? Or cranking the engine and immeditely pull the spark plug #3 and check if its soak with fuel?

yea i had new spark plugs put in..sorry guys i dk much about cars like that smh

Lincoln, he has a 4.0, plugs and wires with one coil pack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think it may be the throttle body..im gonna have it cleaned when i get back to town and let you guys know..thanks alot

Back