Wheel Spacers | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers

I have searched and have been unable to find an answer. I'm getting my Ex Sport on Thursday and one mod I would like to do is add a 1 inch wheel spacer. Has anyone added spacers and if so, what make were the spacers. I can't find any listed for the '14 Sport. Thanks for any help....
I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One inch is too much for a spacer! Rule of thumb is don't go over 3/8'' even with longer studs. When you really want to kick the wheels out further, you go with 'adapters'.
Find some wheel threads on here. Most guys go with 15 front, 20-25 rear mm if I remember correctly depending on wheel width/offset of course. Do a search.

Frank

I have searched and have been unable to find an answer. I'm getting my Ex Sport on Thursday and one mod I would like to do is add a 1 inch wheel spacer. Has anyone added spacers and if so, what make were the spacers. I can't find any listed for the '14 Sport. Thanks for any help....

Wheel spacers on XLT with 20"s?

Has anyone seen an EX with spacers and stock rims. I have the polished 20"s and every time I walk by it I think to myself "wow those would look good poked out a little more!" Maybe even dropped a little as well. Most of the picks I can find though are either aftermarket or sport rims. I don't like the sport rims and not going aftermarket until she needs new treads...

11998826795_f6fa42b0b3_b.jpg

With Peter's help, I've read the posts concerning wheel spacers on the Sport. All the posts I read were done with after market wheels. I'm just wondering if anyone put spacers on there Ex Sport with the stock rims and tires. I was looking at 25mm in the rear and 15mm or so in the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

ARS1..... Where on the 5th page of an old post. Don't think we're going to see an answer.

ARS1 and Smitty814, have a look at post 64. OEM 20" wheels with spacers installed.

Peter

.75" Bora Hub centric Spacers

Hey guys. I finally decided to purchase 2 pairs of these Bora spacers from Motorsport-tech. They are .75" thick, 63.4 bore, with 1/2" studs, and comes in an anodized black finish. Because I only wanted 20mm spacers, my factory studs protrude too far thru the spacers and hit the back of the wheel making this difficult to fit (I'm not wanting to shave my factory studs) Would any of you guys with the 2011-2015 ford explorers be interested in taking these off me? pm me if you are interested.

Thanks for helping me move my post to this thread. I also dealt with Lenny from Motorsport-tech. Lenny I was the one that called you in regards to the spacers hitting. I have a question, I looked at the same post #64 with the spacers on the factory wheels, how is it that you got it to fit? I have the same wheels but the machined one, the factory studs are soo long that it hit the back side of the wheels, I even shaved a bit off the inside of the wheels middle pockets and found that it still hits and doesn't let the wheel fit flush on the spacers. Can you tell me what you did? I see you didn't shave the studs...

Wheel spacers on factory rims

Not sure if these photos help with showing how far the spacers push the wheels out. I used 1'' Bora spacers in the rear and .75" in the front. I am using my factory lug nuts. The kit comes with everything you need. The only thing I did was smear a little anti-seize grease on the back of each spacer and then a drop of loc-tight on each of the lug bolts when I bolted the spacers onto my rotors. I used a torque wrench to the suggested ft. lbs. So far so good. When I did my first Mobil 1 oil change at 5k I rotated the tires and had the mechanic check the bolts and he said they were snug and that nothing had loosened up. I have read that some guys are going with 1'' on all for corners and looking at my truck I wouldn't go more than .75" on the front. I didn't want mine to protrude out and they sit inside just perfect. I could have actually gone .75" on all four corners and been happy.

The photo second from the bottom is before the spacers and before the H&R springs! I think the difference is pretty noticeable.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

June 2014 iPhone dump 075.jpg

1A Alfred Court October 2014 081.jpg

Billyg, that looks awesome! I want springs and spacers too.

Springs and Spacers

Thanks brother. Drop it, space it and tune that ECOBEAST :bsnicker::burnout:

I finally got the H&R springs and BORA 3/4" spacers put on. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
IMG_4898_zps4od7un20.jpg

IMG_4896_zpsezrfwwrj.jpg

IMG_4893_zpsjduboiiu.jpg

Thanks. Just rode around the neighborhood and it was smooth as silk. After work tomorrow I'll take the wheels off and re-torque the spacer nuts.

This is extremely important!!

I installed spacers on my previous vehicle and did not retorque them. I had no damage but I felt a wobble so I retorqued each nut...on the spacer and on the rim....

I do NOT recommend installing spacers even if they are high quality ones.

For everyone that has lowered their Sports with H&R explorer 51360 springs ( [MENTION=252913]BillyG2014Sport[/MENTION] [MENTION=263105]Powder09[/MENTION] [MENTION=222716]banxwondar[/MENTION] [MENTION=235121]SilverStallion[/MENTION] [MENTION=71556]BAD430BENZ[/MENTION] etc?)... I'd love your input.

I'm about to order spacers /adapters, and wondering what width to go with. If y'all could do it over again, would you go with any different thickness than you did? (please state what thickness you have front/back)

I really like mine so far. The only thing that I would do differently is 1" spacers in the back. I have 3/4" spacers Front and back.

Post up a 'ass/side shot . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really like mine so far. The only thing that I would do differently is 1" spacers in the back. I have 3/4" spacers Front and back.

I've measured a couple times (by hanging a weighted string down off the middle of the top of the fender). It seems that ~18mm in the front and ~23mm in the back would take the rim out to be flush with the fender (the tires I'm running on don't extend out past the rim).

3/4" = 19mm, and 1" = 25mm. I guess I'm really just trying to fine tune it. What can i say- I'm a perfectionist :rolleyes:. Its very difficult to tell by pictures whether 19mm/0.75" and 25mm/1" extend further out than the fender.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For everyone that has lowered their Sports with H&R explorer 51360 springs ( [MENTION=252913]BillyG2014Sport[/MENTION] [MENTION=263105]Powder09[/MENTION] [MENTION=222716]banxwondar[/MENTION] [MENTION=235121]SilverStallion[/MENTION] [MENTION=71556]BAD430BENZ[/MENTION] etc?)... I'd love your input.

I'm about to order spacers /adapters, and wondering what width to go with. If y'all could do it over again, would you go with any different thickness than you did? (please state what thickness you have front/back)
I ended up ordering my wheels with the offset I wanted so I didn't need spacers :thumbsup:

Back