Split Armrest Issue | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

...Wonder if there is any chance Ford will help out on this based on the number of issues with this part?

Hi mayher,

I can push your request up the line to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with the info I listed in the post before yours and I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a design flaw .Order part (door panel )and find a bump shop cheaper than what Ford will do.

My 2011 Had a roof leak , Seat frame broke, Arm Rest split( i paid 250), Brake pad cracked at 19000 miles (was not covered), Back up camera quit at 50,000, 60 000 struts and mounts sound like it will fall off car rattle ,Then steeing is clunking. Trans started to act up so at 70000 I parted ways with that explorer.

Update!!....the "leather" on my driver side arm rest is splitting at the seam!! 37 and the vehicle is falling apart!!

Drivers door armrest splitting

Hi mayher,

I can push your request up the line to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with the info I listed in the post before yours and I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal:

Thank you for your help. I did hear from the reg. cust. service mgr. The best he would do is help by paying for 1/2 of the replacement armrest. This translates to just over $150.00 my cost. While I appreciate the effort and understand that my Ex is well over the 36,000 mile limit, I have never seen interior parts split like this on a car that is less than 3 years old. I can send pictures of the interior of my EX, and you will see it is not abused.

Given the number of posts on this subject, it would be reasonable to assume that the quality of this item is subpar and a documented defect. The service manager where I bought the car told me they replace these on a regular basis.

Ford really should step up and cover the cost of parts for known defect. Instead the cost for replacement of known defective parts is passed on to the consumer. Not really the way to build long term relationships with customers that have purchased numerous vehicles from them over the years.

Crystal:

Thank you for your help. I did hear from the reg. cust. service mgr. The best he would do is help by paying for 1/2 of the replacement armrest. This translates to just over $150.00 my cost. While I appreciate the effort and understand that my Ex is well over the 36,000 mile limit, I have never seen interior parts split like this on a car that is less than 3 years old...

Hi mayher,

I'm happy to hear that your CSM was able to offer you some financial assistance towards the cost of the repair. I don't have the ability to overturn CSM decisions as they are considered final, but you may want to consider speaking with your dealership to see if they'd be willing to contribute towards the replacement as well. Additionally, I can document your feedback about this experience; since I have most of your information already, just send me a PM with any details you'd like me to include.

Crystal

My 2011 explorer had the exact same rip on the drivers door-- I def did not do anything to cause this! It was with in warranty and they replaced /
Repaired it. Well -- guess what happened this weekend??!! Same rip - same spot!!! For the second time! Good grief!! We will see what the dealership has to say about it this week -- the car is no longer in warranty :/

My 2011 explorer had the exact same rip on the drivers door-- I def did not do anything to cause this! It was with in warranty and they replaced /
Repaired it. Well -- guess what happened this weekend??!! Same rip - same spot!!! For the second time! Good grief!! We will see what the dealership has to say about it this week -- the car is no longer in warranty :/

Welcome to the forum, Erins2999; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. How many miles are on your Explorer? Come back and tell us what your dealership has to say about the rip; I'll be here to check on how things are progressing and to see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

my 2011 just had the same seem rip 2 inches on driver door! I purchased the explorer as certified preowned in January and have only put 3300 miles on it so far. the coverage is 12 months or 12000 so do you think this will be covered in the certified coverage's? sent pm to crystal and a message to my service dealer but haven't heard back. Explorer is in perfect shape except for this! Drives me nuts every time I open the door knowing its there.

Welcome to the Forum lundbergmn.:wavey:
Unless your coverage is different than what is listed in the CPO document I found online, the answer is NO. That isn't to say the dealer may not help out in covering part of the repair cost.

It would also be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it show in the margin. This may help in addressing any future concerns.

Peter

Just noticed the same tear as described on the first page of posting. 42K on a '13 XLT. About 3 inches long. I had my car upholsterer make me a pad to go on that armrest because it is so low that it was of no use to me. Terrible design...my arm doesn't even rest on the armrest itself and it still broke loose. Just gonna watch in to see if gets any worse.

my 2011 just had the same seem rip 2 inches on driver door! I purchased the explorer as certified preowned in January and have only put 3300 miles on it so far. the coverage is 12 months or 12000 so do you think this will be covered in the certified coverage's? sent pm to crystal and a message to my service dealer but haven't heard back...

Hi lundbergmn,

I wrote you back this morning; check out your inbox for my message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi,
I have the same issue, passenger side. Explorer2012 with 90,000 km with extended warrenty. Dealer refused to help. I sent a message to FordServiceCA and waiting.
Can't imagine this happens to a 3 years old car. will see how it goes

I know this was started a while back but thought I would add a plus one to the armrest tear in the exact same spot! I am also out of warranty!!

Me too, same driver's side armrest tear at the seam. Just watching for now (along with leak in back above 3rd row seatbelt, driver's side sun visor with no power to garage door opener and lighted mirror, and nav system very slooow to connect despite TSB done). Will show to dealer but they don't seem likely to fix it. Mine is an early 2011 but the problems are still present on later model years as well. Frustrating! and makes me wonder about buying another explorer in the future. (this is my 4th one since 1991). I love the look and features of the new Platinum but may have to give the new Honda Pilot Elite a hard look when I look to buy at '16 or '17 model.

Another one for me. 2012 with split at the seam and getting worse. PM sent. Sad, rest of the interior is spotless.

I'm having the same problem with the tear in the driver's side arm rest, but mine is 4-5 in. wide. Looks terrible. 2012 XLT, 41K miles. From what I've been reading, this is a prevelant problem. It's really a shame. The vehicle is only 3 years old. Has anyone had any luck with Ford Customer Service?

I'm having the same problem with the tear in the driver's side arm rest, but mine is 4-5 in. wide. Looks terrible. 2012 XLT, 41K miles. From what I've been reading, this is a prevelant problem. It's really a shame. The vehicle is only 3 years old. Has anyone had any luck with Ford Customer Service?
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Not sure if you have read through the posts here but there are various ways that members have had this looked after. Ford went 50/50 on one repair while another had an auto upholstery shop carry out an inexpensive repair. I didn't go through all the posts. You can always try sending a PM to Tricia (Ford Service) to see if there is anything she can do.

Peter

Add another Ford, "Quality is job #1," door seam tear to the mix! This is from my 2011 Explorer; out of warranty but less than 40K miles!!!

Ford CSR's...this driver door seam tear issue is getting to be a laughable matter! :( :mad:

This is NOT a wear and tear matter - The quality failure is clearly Ford's fault and Ford needs to go after the original supplier of this part and then make its customers whole and extend the warranty on this item.

If Ford will NOT stand behind their quality, why should I buy another Ford?
...has the Ford "Quality is Job #1" campaign been retired for good?

I guess Ford got lucky on this one - this DEFECT is only visible on the inside, unlike all those 2000 era Ford Explorers you see driving around, with the crack in the middle of the liftgate!

2011%20Explorer%20Driver%20Door%20Tear.jpg

I remember years ago watching a story on tv about Ford engineers changing the ingredients in their upholstery to something more "green" & "environmentally friendly.
I wonder if the ingredients is the resulting tears being experienced. Sorta like Chinese drywall!!

Ford using recyclable materials in NEW cars!

I went through Ford customer service and we went back and forth before they agreed to pay half of the cost. This translates to approx. $150.00 out of pocket. As stated numerous times in this post, this is clearly a manufacturing defect that Ford is trying to bury as wear and tear. My vehicle although out of warranty ( 65,000 ) was only 3 years old and in great condition other than this tear. Ford's offer to pay half was a " gesture of good will to a loyal Ford customer ". I have never had an interior component fail in all my years of driving any make of car.

I opted for plan B.

I carefully masked off the area and bonded the two sides together with crazy glue. When I first did this there was a very small area that was slightly shiny from the glue. Three months later, the repair looks perfect, this shine has gone away, and I saved $150.00. Really wanted to pull the trigger on a new 2016 Ex, but thinking twice due to little things like this and no Sync 3.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The quality failure is clearly Ford's fault and Ford needs to go after the original supplier of this part and then make its customers whole and extend the warranty on this item.

Don't be so quick to judge the supplier(s).
This is a design defect, not manufacturing.
It is FORD that specified FAKE stitching in a HIGH pressure area, to save a few bucks, not the supplier.
On top of the fake stitching, they design a fake pinch/seam were it's busting open...poor design

I got this fixed once under warranty, but if/when it happens again, I plan to stitch it together with thin fishing line so the fix will be almost invisible.

Back