My 93' Explorer Restoration Project | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 93' Explorer Restoration Project

Truck looks great! Keep it up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By popular demand! Here is an elusive photo taken by Mike of Captain America with Bull Horns mounted on the front. What happens in Moab stays in Moab :D 2015

051_zps5skt2kmg.jpg

Man, it was a great time seeing everybody and checking out all the rigs in Moab this year! I ended up doing way more than I expected and had an absolute blast while doing it!!! The best part was definitely the people, it is impossible to replace the great personalities and great times to be had with friends :) The trails were out of this world as well!

114_zpscji6ssb6.jpg

I'll admit though, after charging through Kane Creek and seeing some of the other rigs (Dr. Jack's ride height & 5spdmans' lights) I think I have found some weaknesses in Captain America that could use some upgrades. I'm going to start a bucket list of things that I would like to get done for Moab 2016 (20th EF Anniversary celebration!).

First off, Dr. Jack is owned by reapereviltwin aka Mike, and is one of the best guys you could ever hope to meet. He wheels the hell out of his Explorer and has put it through the paces. What it will be capable of after Bandit Customs is done with it? Probably a whole heck of a lot more!! For Captain America's sake, his chassis ride height is one that I am very jealous of...

376_zpsyemqyy5f.jpg

Happily clearing 33's and looking tougher than Mad Max himself Dr. Jack has a good ride height. Whether I can achieve a similar height or not will be something I'll be mulling over in the months to come.

Next, I noticed I have a terrible lack of functioning lighting on Captain America. It would appear that I have 4 off-road lights, but the reality is that only 3 work - the wiring is a lousy mess - and they are about as bright as an additional stock headlight (which as we know Explorers leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes to headlights...). This brings me to 5spdman's setup!

IMG_20150517_245227_774.jpg

He has built an impressive lighted bumper using a combination of light bar/light blocks which I'm sure do wonders in the dark. After going down Cliff Hanger in the dark with Adamsbro I'm absolutely sure the investment in off-road lighting will be well worth it.

Another lingering problem is the lack of a tow rig... As seen on the Moab 2015 thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417398 we are definitely to the 'tipping point' of always being on all 4's. In the event I push Captain America over this envelope I would like to be able to get him home. I have a plan laid out, but plenty of work ahead of me. This plan involves a '67 Galaxie Fast Back and a .060 bored over 390 Big Block. Here is what the pair look like as of now...

001_zpsdic2yb30.jpg

003_zpsk1mvemra.jpg

As you can see lots of work, but lots of potential. As of now it is raining like mad outside and funds are a bit low after touring Moab for a week, but I plan on tackling one at a time till Moab 2016!

For now, here is the list (I'm sure I'll add more as the summer goes along):

-Tow Rig
-More Lift
-Lights

...and one more picture of the Bull Horns :D

291_zps22z4tzy3.jpg

If you want, let me know what you're thinking about as far as lighting, and I can get that to my friend. He's an LED dealer, and through him I got the bar and the two flush mounts for just over $200. The fogs (flush mounts) are great...never turned on my brights going back and had people flashing me to turn them off. That bar will temporarily blind you and I'm getting a 40" bar for the roof rack when I move home (buddy has it sitting in his garage for me!) No problems seeing for me on and off the trail! :D

If you want, let me know what you're thinking about as far as lighting, and I can get that to my friend. He's an LED dealer

Right on man! I appreciate the heads up! When I figure out what my attack plan is I'll definitely be giving you a holler! Again, it was a blast wheeling with you and Edgar, can't wait till next year :D

Right on man! I appreciate the heads up! When I figure out what my attack plan is I'll definitely be giving you a holler! Again, it was a blast wheeling with you and Edgar, can't wait till next year :D

It was a pleasure to wheel with you too man!

You'll see me next year for sure (along with the soon-to-be wife and the dog), but if the crazy notions in my head pan out, I'll be there with a totally new (to me) restored lifted 1st gen sport....chances are though, I'll be bringing Edgar!

Having seen this truck twice now in person, I can say that the pictures do not do it justice....When you look at it, especially the paint, it looks brand new...kris and I were talking when following you Anthony on fins and things, that it was like going back in time and seeing a brand new first gen driving the trails! a lot of hard work went into this rig, and it shows...keep up the good work man!!!:thumbsup:

I was just about to ask Russell who had the red 1st gen. I love it! Cleaner then mine! Keep up the good work!

Having seen this truck twice now in person, I can say that the pictures do not do it justice....When you look at it, especially the paint, it looks brand new...kris and I were talking when following you Anthony on fins and things, that it was like going back in time and seeing a brand new first gen driving the trails! a lot of hard work went into this rig, and it shows...keep up the good work man!!!:thumbsup:

Hell yeah man! I really appreciate the paint job comments :) I hope I can get some more hard work done on it in time for the 2016 Moab Run! Thanks again Russell!

I was just about to ask Russell who had the red 1st gen. I love it! Cleaner then mine! Keep up the good work!

Thanks EMBRACETHEHATE89, If you can swing Moab next year it'll be there (detailing towel in hand, right Mike? hehehe!).

Nice rig BTW.

Thanks man!

A great story is behind this rig!!! Anthony, it sure have been fun trailing with you!!

Can't wait to put another page in the book wheeling with you and Robert, it was a great time and I am at the edge of my seat waiting to hear when progress begins on Dr.Jack (FlapJack).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love the look of your first gen! great thread, and good work on the build! I just picked me up a 2nd Gen xlt 5.0 along with a long to do list. The parts are slowly stacking up in the garage. I see you guys are local, I'm in American Fork and would love some input from you guys from time to time.
For now how has your undercoating held up so far? Mine is a rust bucket and want to do something to treat it, but have heard too many opinions that I can't make up my mind haha. If yours has held up to the salt saturated Utah roads that's proof enough.

Back