DOES ANYONE KNOW THE "ACTUAL" WEIGHT OF MY TYPE EXPLORER???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE "ACTUAL" WEIGHT OF MY TYPE EXPLORER????

i own a 1998 ford explorer sport with the 4.0L OHV engine. i am trying to get a rough estimate ( as close as possible ) of what my size explorer is. i dynoed my X and it came up as 144 RWHP. but i went to the track today and raced it in the quarter mile so i can use the corral.net dyno program to figure out if my dyno run was correct. ( which i don't believe it is ) well the sticker in the door read 4400LBS, so i threw that in with my trap speed, figured a few extra lbs for the 1/8 of a tank of gas, and my 1/4 mile time and it said that i was pushing 196 BHP ( is that RWHP???? ). well i tried it at 4200 LBS and it came up with 176 BHP. if anyoen can help, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i think i know what my problem is

i was reading up on dyno's and it said that the ranger with a 5spd manul transmission 1 to 1 gear for dynoing is third gear. but when i went to go get my dyno, the guy told me that mine was fourth gear. so i think that might be why my HP figures were low. anyone know for sure???? TROLL??? ALEC???? BLK MK8?????

The 1:1 gear for the 4R55E (4 auto) is 3rd, for the 5R55E (5 auto) 4th. However, I got dynoed in second because the truck kept shifting into OD above 90 mph on the dyno.

I recently weighed my X on my last trip. 96 OHV sport, fully loaded with fuel, luggage, me, and all accessories, 4520 lbs.

I found this on Carpoint . It claims that the curb weight for a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD is 3692 and the 4WD Sport is 3919. Seems a little low to me, but that's what they say.

i have the manual 5spd in my truck

it is the same as what is in the ranger's with the 5spd manuals. that is what i was trying to figure out, but i do appreciate it alec, when i did it on the computer ( for the estimated HP ) i estimated it 1st at the sticker weight of 4400 lbs, and it told me 196 BHP, then i did it at 4200 LBs and it told me 176 BHP. so i am guessing since i removed the spar and only had a little less than 1/4 tank of gas, plus my 170 lbs A$$, that i should be around 4300 lbs. let me try again, and see what i am sitting at according to this thing, i still don't think that my dyno run with all that i have done is sitting me at 144 RWHP and 214 FT/LBS of TQ. sorry , not gonna believe it, especially since i am doing 16.5 in the 1/4 mile, that is better than most V8's stock.

Actually, I don't think your figure of 144 rwhp is that far off. Stock is about 120. Bolt-ons and such mods don't usually add up to that much hp gains. Ask Flyguy, he only got 15-20 hp on his early OHV with a bunch of bolt-ons, heads, headers, etc. The only huge hp mods are forced induction and N2O.

Bolt-ons may feel great and really help lower times from stock. But soon you run into a brick wall and need a power-adder.

well, mines a V8 2wd 4 door and on the scales with a full tank of gas, no spare, and no driver it weighed 4120.

alec, you are killing me. i am trying to remain happy after yesterday. :) but hey, if it is true, then it is true, can't get around it til i get my paxton in. then i am working on the guts of my engine from there. but that will be a little while down the road, i have to get my 300z back together first.

96 four door, V8, no spare, 10 gallons of gas, 17 inch rims, 2 wheel drive weighed 4370 with no driver.

1994 xlt 4x4 with 31" bfgs, automatic, v6,full tank and no fender, hood, or front bumper with stock 235 spare and no cargo or driver was 4125#

hmmm that carpoint thing said 4062...that doesnt sound right... the bumper is heavy and my tires couldnt weigh that much more than stock

1999 Sport SOHC 2wd auto, no spare, 17inch CobraR's, 1/4 tank (about 4gal), removed step rails, weighed in at 4000 even w/ driver (190lbs me).

Back