Rhino line or plasti-dip? What do you guys think | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rhino line or plasti-dip? What do you guys think

Grabber12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Explorer%20.jpg

Okay guys heres my explorer. As you can see its black and it's the original paint. Everything seems to show up on black and my pin striping from bushes is no exception. I was thinking about putting some spray on Rhino lining or plasti dip from the gold factory pinstripe all the way down to the bottom. The Rhino lining I would be using would be the real fine grit and not the heavy duty grit. What do you guys think? Has anybody rhino lined the exterior of their Explorer? How do you think mine would look with that much area sprayed on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bed lined mine from just above the arches down

DC89C9E8-F67E-40E3-B8EA-E65579936BAC_zpsjbdw1vgq.jpg

I have plasti dipped before and painted, by far I prefer the bed liner

That's such a clean Limited I don't think you should do either one. If it was smashed up and rotted out then it'd be another story. If it where me I would just keep buffed and waxed.......and trim the bushes.

I bed lined mine from just above the arches down

DC89C9E8-F67E-40E3-B8EA-E65579936BAC_zpsjbdw1vgq.jpg

Yours looks awesome! His wouldnt look near as good though because you have a newer sport and were able to bedline just the molding pieces. If he did the same thing, it would be a lot harder to look as clean as yours.

I agree with rkh58. Truck looks clean and pretty good condition. I'd do my best to keep it that way.

It is a clean truck for sure

I would like an answer to this question too haha.. I have surface rust on all of my wheel arches and door bottoms (nothing above the folded liner above the arches say 1 inch up or so, and in the door wells on the bottom (not the doors themselves))... I was thinking to hit it with por 15 then some bed liner... I have a 97 explorer Im doing this on :)

I've seen whole trucks done in bed liner it's entirely up to you, I did mine in the areas that get scratched on the trails I just masked off what I didn't want done , yes the lower plastics I did but also metal on the doors and arches and did it in satin to give a nice look actually makes it look like the arches are plastic like the older Sports

I've seen whole trucks done in bed liner it's entirely up to you, I did mine in the areas that get scratched on the trails I just masked off what I didn't want done , yes the lower plastics I did but also metal on the doors and arches and did it in satin to give a nice look actually makes it look like the arches are plastic like the older Sports

fair enough... Approximately how many cans (I assume you used a spray on) did it take to do your truck? What brands did you use?

I actually used king cans of Krylon Bedliner spray on I'm very impressed , I used a can for the back and front bumpers and 2 cans a side

I just did the rear bumper and right behind the rear tire and this is what I used in the picture. Comes out real nice, real fine grit with a satin finish.
20150601_131615.jpg

Hey sogsnakebite do you have some pictures?

I'd leave that limited alone too. I just re-did the flares and rockers on mine. It was originally herculiner but it fades after a few years so I went over top of it with the duplicolor bed liner in the rattle cans and I love the way it turned out

Pic didn't load the first time

Attachments

• 20150526_125451.jpg
    20150526_125451.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 512

Actually I used the same brand as Grabber just double checked

That's a question for u guys ' yes my truck is an 03 but it sits on a second gen frame and has the same interior pretty much and similar outer panels so is it a 2nd gen or 3rd gen ?

01-03 SPORTS are considered gen 2 I believe even though some of it is updated like the 3rd gens.

Edit: It might be 02-03 SPORTS actually

I always thought it was a gen 2 but numerous ppl say gen 3, I know the four doors are gen 3 starting in 01

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I'm not sure. My bro has an 03 sport which I considered a 3rd gen before I got to the forums. Idk what they're considered technically. I would think Ford would consider them 3rd gen Explorers, since it'd be weird to release a new model a certain year but say that the 2 door versions are still 2nd gen? Anyone know for sure what they're considered? Aaaaand just realized we're hijacking...sorry.

Back