2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc

Hello folks!

I have a 2002 XLT on 265/75/16's. I have 5 of them and will be upgrading once I order the 3" Leveling kit and uppers from BTF. I know it is expensive, but I'd rather get it done in one shot rather than damaging the vehicle. I want the 315 MT's from Tiresplus which I have a credit line on :)

THIS is the spare tire solution. Hitch mounted and swings open to access rear. Cost about $700 http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/

To confirm, I will need 2" wheel spacers?

I am painting the vehicle black and spray painting the trim black. MAACO is going to charge me around $750. I am looking for a steel bumper for the front. I assume people had theirs made. Is there anyone that makes them and I can see pics? My brush guard stood up against a deer at 25mph. Sent that f***er airborne into another cars windshield. That driver wanted MY insurance info. I said "I didn't hit you, the deer hit you! Check his wallet" And I sped off... Merica!

I appreciate all advice and criticism.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires lift wheels

I was wondering if I put a 2.5/1.5 spacer kit on my ex will a 18x9 wheel and a 285/70/18 fit on my ex?

Hello folks!

I have a 2002 XLT on 265/75/16's. I have 5 of them and will be upgrading once I order the 3" Leveling kit and uppers from BTF. I know it is expensive, but I'd rather get it done in one shot rather than damaging the vehicle. I want the 315 MT's from Tiresplus which I have a credit line on :)

THIS is the spare tire solution. Hitch mounted and swings open to access rear. Cost about $700 http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/

To confirm, I will need 2" wheel spacers?

I am painting the vehicle black and spray painting the trim black. MAACO is going to charge me around $750. I am looking for a steel bumper for the front. I assume people had theirs made. Is there anyone that makes them and I can see pics? My brush guard stood up against a deer at 25mph. Sent that f***er airborne into another cars windshield. That driver wanted MY insurance info. I said "I didn't hit you, the deer hit you! Check his wallet" And I sped off... Merica!

I appreciate all advice and criticism.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The right offset rim should negate the need for wheel spacers with Brandons lift kit (have a squiz at RangerMountains truck ay!)

Cant help ya over there bout the bullbar tho.

And

Should be right Chop:thumbsup: Again, get the right offset ay!

Hey guys, found this thread today and had a question in struggling finding the answer too... I have worn down 265/75/r16s that i need to put on asap term temporarily till i get new ones but i tried to get them installed and they told me they couldn't do it because they rubbed the control arm.... Is this normal or is something wrong? I want new tires but won't buy them if they won't fit.. Please any help is appreciated.
-Michael

3rd gens have torsion bars? Sweet, i guess i never put any thought into it. Can you get to the bolts pretty easily?

Crap, I thought I was responding in the 2nd gen forum. No 3rd gen's don't, Im sorry about that.

Ha ha no problem man! Anyone else know how i can fix my problem?

Ha ha no problem man! Anyone else know how i can fix my problem?

It can happen with some tires on stock wheels. 265's of any kind are pretty close to the knuckle/upper control arm when you have them on stock wheels. Wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with 4.25"-4.5" backspacing will give some extra room.

He had it jacked up when he had me come out and look at it, would it have been father away if it was on the ground? I don't remember if it was touching or just really close

He had it jacked up when he had me come out and look at it, would it have been father away if it was on the ground? I don't remember if it was touching or just really close

Maybe would have. But you don't want the tires rubbing like that in any suspension position. It's a lot easier than you might think to get it to flex out like that when driving. Better to just address the issue.

Extended sway narrow links

Where can I get extended sway bar links for my 03 4x4 v8 with a 2"spacer lift?? Plz help

Where can I get extended sway bar links for my 03 4x4 v8 with a 2"spacer lift?? Plz help

I don't think u can buy them anywhere yet, but if u do a search on here you'll find a thread that shows u how to make ur own

I was thinking of doing a 2.5" / 2" spacer lift, would 33" tyres fit or do I need a body lift also only want 265 on stock 17's

I was thinking of doing a 2.5" / 2" spacer lift, would 33" tyres fit or do I need a body lift also only want 265 on stock 17's

If all you want is 265's on stock wheels then you'll do fine with either a 1.5" or 3" body lift, and anywhere between 1.5-2" front / and 1.25-1.5" rear spacers. Doing both body lift and spacers isn't necessary for 265s. Keep in mind that the spacers will give you about 1.5 x the lift as the actual spacer height, and it's better for the suspension to run the smallest spacers that will result in the clearance you need.

I've never run 33s so someone else will have to comment on that.

Thanks for the info Ronin I might go with the spacer option then so I can level it out a bit too

I have been considering a larger tires and a moderate lift for a long time. This is my second 3rd gen Ex but I never got around to doing anything to my first one. I got started right away this time. The body molding has been removed to have bedliner applied and to cleanup body rust.
The tires needed to be replaced so I went for 245/75R17 (31.5") BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s.
These tires only rub the slightest bit when I'm pulling on the steering wheel at full lock. They give the entire truck a solid 1" - 1.25" lift when measured from the ground to center bottom of fender.
The 0.5" factory rake never bothered me before but it is made very noticeable by the way the tires fill up the fenders now.

IMAG0368_zpsiw4lwpdu.jpg

I have ordered a custom spacer lift (F1.75,R1.5) from BTF which I'm calling the 2.5inch semi-levelling lift. I haven't seen one of the same size on here yet but I think it will suit my tastes. I will post up some pics once installed.

Hi Guy's and Gal's it's been a while since I've been on here. just been driving my Exploder. not doing much to it, But just had to replace my upper and lower Ball joint's in front. So I decided to get a set of Rancho Quick lifts. 1.5" rs999904. To make it sit level and now the ride is very Stiff, To the point it springs to the locks on every bump, is that normal? anyone else have problems with there springs being too stiff? Did they settle in after a while?
Thanks 04Urban.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Urban what setting do you have the shocks on? And which engine do you have? I have the quick lifts on all four corners and don't have any problem, the increased spring rate is a good match for my driving style and the roads around here.

Back