Upgraded radiator for 2000 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded radiator for 2000 Explorer?

namuwilliams

Reaction score
City, State
Pismo Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8
I need to replace my radiator and I figured I'd check for recommendations...is there a best brand/type I should get? Or will most of the radiators out there work fine (ebay, for example). I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for an "upgraded" radiator - something with better build quality or a lifetime guarantee.

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8

Also, is there an important difference between the plastic frame radiators and the aluminum ones? This is the one I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-96-97-9...iter_Display:5.0L&hash=item2a3960a46e&vxp=mtr

Thanks for your suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the plastic ones have the perpensity to develop small fissure like cracks in them... but that normally occurs after a few years.

Thanks for the reply. So the plastic ones are definitely the lower quality radiators?

Great, thanks. Anyone else have any experience with upgrading their radiator?

The radiators with plastic tanks are most likely stock replacements and just as that sounds your came from the factory with plastic tanks.

I don't mind plastic tanks at all and most will last 100,000 miles or more.

I forgot to check the forum, so I missed your replies, and my truck actually died on the freeway - the radiator busted (no blown head gasket, thank goodness), so I just went with the stock replacement my mechanic recommended. I appreciate the input!

Back