Found a '97 Explorer EB 4x4 for sale, thoughts?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found a '97 Explorer EB 4x4 for sale, thoughts??

JLindley

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ex XLT, '97 Ex EB
I have found a '97 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 4x4 for sale that has 35,500 miles on it. I'm awaiting the sellers email on to which I can meet her to look at the car; very excited about it, hoping its the car that I think it is. I currently have a 2002 Explorer XLT with 203,500 miles on it and I'm looking for a older explorer with low miles. What are yall's thoughts on the 97 Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1997 xlt and its solid. I have the SOHC and Personally its one of the most comfortable to drive that I have driven. its only the 3rd vehicle I've owned and the second 2nd gen ex. But Im perfectly happy with it :)

I agree 100% with what Dude said, I have the same rig with 236,000 miles and it runs perfect and smooth. Towing package and Traction Lok rear differential it is an excellent vehicle. Good fuel mileage, powerful, and very comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

Wow 35k? Thats not a typo? Snatch that thing up!

I agree 100% with what Dude said, I have the same rig with 236,000 miles and it runs perfect and smooth. Towing package and Traction Lok rear differential it is an excellent vehicle. Good fuel mileage, powerful, and very comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

Its more comfortable than my dads 2005 Jetta, I would put it comparatively (albeit with less options), with his 2010 dodge ram 1500 Laramie.

Wow 35k? Thats not a typo? Snatch that thing up!
Yeah, It has 35,500 miles on it. Looks brand new inside and out, and I did buy it, couldn't pass it up!! Just got home from looking at it and test drove it. Picking it up tomorrow!! Can't wait! He was asking $4,150 and I got it for $3,500; I'm gonna have to put new tires on it cause the ones on it now are dry rotted.
By the way the axle code on it is D2, from what I researched D2 is 4.10 Limited Slip.
Will post pics 2morrow when I pick it up!

Nice. Congrats on the purchase. Normally that price would be on the high side, but 35k on the odometer aint your average 2nd gen. Compare that mileage to your 3rd gen lol. Looking forward to pics.

Have you picked up the truck yet?

Have you picked up the truck yet?

Yeah, I picked it up yesterday afternoon; had to go back to work after I picked it up; drove it to work this morning. Been overcast/rainy of course. Off work 2morrow, gonna change the oil in it and detail it, then I'll post some pics. Will post pics tomorrow!!

Yeah, I picked it up yesterday afternoon; had to go back to work after I picked it up; drove it to work this morning. Been overcast/rainy of course. Off work 2morrow, gonna change the oil in it and detail it, then I'll post some pics. Will post pics tomorrow!!
Nice find....looking forward to seeing pics. I have a 98 EB 4.0 4X4 with only 71K miles and I like to drive it more than my new Honda. It's very comfortable ( and spotless ):D

How do you post pictures on here again? I use to know how. Haven't done it in so long I forgot.

You have to upload them somewhere first like on photobucket.com and then link to them here using the image icon.

Here are finally some pictures, I haven't detailed it, or waxed it yet. Just a simple wash. Love this explorer so far!! I prefer this one over my 3rd gen any day!! I've already had people try to buy it from me..lol. Said sorry not for sale; its very hard to find any 1st or 2nd gen Ex in this kind've shape and low miles. And in the garage is another great find; bought it in September, Its a '95 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series that only had 33,000 miles on it, It now has 43,000.

2015-06-05%2018.28.55.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.30.48.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.28.33.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.29.12.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.29.25.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.30.32.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.29.45.jpg
2015-06-05%2018.30.16.jpg

Here are finally some pictures, I haven't detailed it, or waxed it yet. Just a simple wash. Love this explorer so far!! I prefer this one over my 3rd gen any day!! I've already had people try to buy it from me..lol. Said sorry not for sale; its very hard to find any 1st or 2nd gen Ex in this kind've shape and low miles. And in the garage is another great find; bought it in September, Its a '95 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series that only had 33,000 miles on it, It now has 43,000.

HEAVILY JEALOUS!!!!!! mine is no where near that clean, and I definitely do not have a EB. Im thinking about trying to find a wrecked one to steal the interior our of:)

Nice looking truck. It's hard to believe the mileage. That comes out to under 2,000 miles a year! New that truck must have cost between $30-$35K and then the PO's mostly just let it sit. Worked out good for you though. Did it come with the removable cargo area mat/rug and rear OE floor mats?

HEAVILY JEALOUS!!!!!! mine is no where near that clean, and I definitely do not have a EB. Im thinking about trying to find a wrecked one to steal the interior our of:)

I love the Eddie Bauer package!! Its a shame they don't offer that trim level anymore, I believe the only one they still make with the Eddie Bauer package is the Expedition; not 100% sure though. You can probably find an interior for yours, there out there! Just keep an eye out.

Nice looking truck. It's hard to believe the mileage. That comes out to under 2,000 miles a year! New that truck must have cost between $30-$35K and then the PO's mostly just let it sit. Worked out good for you though. Did it come with the removable cargo area mat/rug and rear OE floor mats?

Thanks man! Yeah I know, very hard to believe the mileage; I'm still kinda in shock LOL. You should see it now that I've detailed it. All I have to do is wax it and I'll post some more pictures. The man told me they bought it new for their daughter when she was a senior in high school and she drove it off an on for 2 years then they just drove it like once a week; garage kept since new as well!! I don't understand why there daughter didn't keep it. If my parents bought me a brand new car like that, damn right I would keep it.
It came with the factory front & rear floor mats, but it didn't come with the cargo area mat/rug. I can probably order one from ford i'm sure. It also came with a set of tire chains for the snow that he never used, he said he never drove it in the snow.

Thanks man! Yeah I know, very hard to believe the mileage; I'm still kinda in shock LOL. You should see it now that I've detailed it. All I have to do is wax it and I'll post some more pictures. The man told me they bought it new for their daughter when she was a senior in high school and she drove it off an on for 2 years then they just drove it like once a week; garage kept since new as well!! I don't understand why there daughter didn't keep it. If my parents bought me a brand new car like that, damn right I would keep it.
It came with the factory front & rear floor mats, but it didn't come with the cargo area mat/rug. I can probably order one from ford i'm sure. It also came with a set of tire chains for the snow that he never used, he said he never drove it in the snow.

My '01 Eddie is in beautiful condition inside and out. My nicest truck of the 5 currently in my family by far. It too was also always garaged. It makes a huge difference to the paint and plastic parts (like the headlights). Mine has considerably more miles than yours at 182k, but the PO took excellent care of it mechanically and aesthetically. Mines a RWD V8, which is my preferred engine and RWD is all I need where I live. I've been using my '00 XLT as my daily driver since last fall and saving the EB for nice weather and special occasions. My XLT is mechanically perfect, but not so pretty. It's the only vehicle I let my dogs in.... LOL. Most teenagers that get an expensive new vehicle handed to them will take it for granted. Be thankful she didn't drive it much. My Eldest daughter destroyed the new convertible I gave her as a graduation present. When she bought her first car that she paid for she took excellent car of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '01 Eddie is in beautiful condition inside and out. My nicest truck of the 5 currently in my family by far. It too was also always garaged. It makes a huge difference to the paint and plastic parts (like the headlights). Mine has considerably more miles than yours at 182k, but the PO took excellent care of it mechanically and aesthetically. Mines a RWD V8, which is my preferred engine and RWD is all I need where I live. I've been using my '00 XLT as my daily driver since last fall and saving the EB for nice weather and special occasions. My XLT is mechanically perfect, but not so pretty. It's the only vehicle I let my dogs in.... LOL. Most teenagers that get an expensive new vehicle handed to them will take it for granted. Be thankful she didn't drive it much. My Eldest daughter destroyed the new convertible I gave her as a graduation present. When she bought her first car that she paid for she took excellent car of it.

Sounds like you have a very nice EB too, 182k still aint nothing for these Explorers, they run a LONG time if tookin care of properly & you don't drive them like sports cars. The 5.0L is a GREAT engine; they remind me of a 350 chevy, very simple motors. I love having the 4wd b/c in my 02 Explorer 2wd (daily driver) I have gotten stuck a few times, once in a drive way (yeah a drive way), once in a corn field checking on crops, once in the snow. I work in the medical field so theres no such thing as snow days for me..LOL. I like haing the selectable 4wd with the V6; shame the 5.0 didn't have the selectable 4wd where as they came with AWD.
My older brother had a 2000 Ex EB V6 2wd that was only 2 years old with 30k when my parents bought it for him when he was 16, He rolled it 3 months later after he got it, Then my grandpa gave him his '93 Ex EB 4wd which he did tear up as well. Shame!! My parents bought me the '02 Ex XLT when I was 16, 9.5 years later & I'm still driving it. Lets say i'm more appreciative than my brother was. LOL

Back