• Register Today It's free!

passenger window problem

stapleton420

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4X4
have a 2003 Ford Explorer EB 4X4. i am having problems with the front passenger window. i have changed all of the spark plugs but not the relays. first off when it works if i go to roll it up (it rolls down) if i go to roll it down (it rolls up), that is when it works. i have changed the motor and it works by chance, if i open the hood and shut it the window will work for about 4 tries, then it will stop working. help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have a 2003 Ford Explorer EB 4X4. i am having problems with the front passenger window. i have changed all of the spark plugs but not the relays. first off when it works if i go to roll it up (it rolls down) if i go to roll it down (it rolls up), that is when it works. i have changed the motor and it works by chance, if i open the hood and shut it the window will work for about 4 tries, then it will stop working. help would be appreciated.

You may want to check the wiring going to the window motor, it sounds like it may be crossed.

Also check the wire harness between the door and the body of the truck for a loose or broken wire.

Tony

I'm a little confused here :confused: What does changing the spark plugs have to do with the front passenger window not working correctly? One has nothing to do with the other. On the window, it sounds to me like you wired something in reverse(incorrectly) when you changed the window motor and that is why the window switches are working in reverse of the up and down side of the button. Try reversing the way you connected the motor power wires and see what happens when you use the buttons.
It also sounds like you have a window wire broken in the rubber boot of your door jam that works once in a while from the jarring motion of the closing of the hood. The two wire ends connect for a brief time and the window works, then seperate again breaking the power connection to the window. If the driver side door buttons for the passenger side window are not working then I would start in the driver side door boot checking for a broken wire.
Take off the inner door panel, then remove the door speaker and use the speaker hole as an access port for your hand. Reach into the inner door and push the rubber door jam boot out of the door itself and into the area between the door and the body of the vehicle. Then start pulling on each wire that comes off of the "window buttons plug harness" carefully, where they go from the inner door into the rubber door jam boot and see if any pull back into the inner door area broken off. You only need to check the wires coming off of the window button harness plug if that is the only thing not working right as of now. Repair any corresponding colored wires that are broken off, but I would pay close attention to a larger diameter "white/yellow striped" wire. This is a power wire to the front passenger side window and I know this because I just repaired this same colored wire a few weeks ago.. The other end of any broken wire should be inside of the rubber boot itself. Broken wires in the door jam rubber boot are a common problem on these Explorers. You may also want to check the door boot on the passenger side as well, since you changed out the window motor on that side.

You may want to check the wiring going to the window motor, it sounds like it may be crossed.

Also check the wire harness between the door and the body of the truck for a loose or broken wire.

Tony
Thanks Tony, I ended up asking the Lil lady at the service desk today when I went by my local Dealer and she told me the same thing. Also I ment fuses I had a moment of dyslexeya there with (spark plugs) hahaha

Thanks Again
James

I've got one for you all. My window wasn't working, so I replaced the window regulator/motor with a complete assembly. I've done them before on my older Explorer, so it was pretty routine. When I plugged in the motor to the wire in the door, the window worked, but backwards. Pressing closed opened it and open closed it. I can live with that, but would rather not. Is it as simple as switching the wires in the button? I don't want to ruin it if it works. Just wondering what the masses thought. Thanks in anticipation!

I've got one for you all. My window wasn't working, so I replaced the window regulator/motor with a complete assembly. I've done them before on my older Explorer, so it was pretty routine. When I plugged in the motor to the wire in the door, the window worked, but backwards. Pressing closed opened it and open closed it. I can live with that, but would rather not. Is it as simple as switching the wires in the button? I don't want to ruin it if it works. Just wondering what the masses thought. Thanks in anticipation!

I'm no auto electrician by any means, but is sounds to me as if the "window motor" or "window switch" were some how wired in "reverse", hence the backwards operation of your window switch to raise or lower the window. Did you ever re-wire anything when installing the window motor or just unplug the original wire harness plugs? I would re-check the wiring to those components for starters.

I just plugged in the new motor to the factory plug. It only went in one way too. My guess is the previous owner at one time either did some re-wiring or the wires were reversed accidentally at the factory when putting the motor together. It works in reverse order from both the drivers 4 button master switch and directly at the rear window/switch as well. I'll do some more snooping around and post an update.

rlgdguy,

I have the same issue. Replaced the regulator/motor and on both the master and door switch, up is down and down is up. It worked properly before I had to replace the reg.

Were you able to figure out how to fix it?

Back