• Register Today It's free!

55 watt hids installed

Erikb23

Reaction score
City, State
papillion ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer
Kinda blows my mind that all the 2011+ don't have factory HIDS don't all the 2011+ mustangs have them?

Anyway I was going to get a 35 watt kit which is all I've ever used on previous cars, but since the factory lights where so dim but had a real nice cutoff line I figured I'd try the 55w since I was not as worried about scattered light like a reflector housing would do..

Pretty happy with them

55 watt 5000k. DDM tuning kit

20150604_205032_zpsghqdeqmn.jpg

20150604_205045_zpszx4vaiks.jpg

Took the pics at work couldn't find a good flat wall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that you didn't change the internal projectors. See page 334 for the proper beam pattern.

Peter

Nope this pic was minutes after installing them, yes stock projectors..

Page 334 of what?

Would be nice if I could adjust them to achieve a straighter cutoff line

Nope this pic was minutes after installing them, yes stock projectors..

Page 334 of what?

Would be nice if I could adjust them to achieve a straighter cutoff line

Sorry, page 334 of your Owner's Guide. To do a proper conversion, the internal projectors should be changed since the Halogen and HID bulbs have their own specially designed projectors to account for the different way each bulb produces its source of light.

Peter

Sorry, page 334 of your Owner's Guide. To do a proper conversion, the internal projectors should be changed since the Halogen and HID bulbs have their own specially designed projectors to account for the different way each bulb produces its source of light.

Peter

Cool I kinda figured you ment the manual but wasn't sure.

I've done a couple retrofits on previous cars, the explorer seemed to have a decent enough cutoff stock so I just figured I'd throw a pnp kit on it, got the explorer for my wife and didn't want to invest $$$.

I know pnp kits are frowned upon by some but I'm pretty happy with it, might try and adjust them a bit

There is absolutely no need to change projectors. The stock D3S projectors are fine for the plug and play kits. I did upgrade my projectors to the Hella Evox-r ones from TRS. While a pain to change out, they do give you a much better light distribution with a sharper cutoff.

There is absolutely no need to change projectors. The stock D3S projectors are fine for the plug and play kits. I did upgrade my projectors to the Hella Evox-r ones from TRS. While a pain to change out, they do give you a much better light distribution with a sharper cutoff.
That pretty well says it all as to why the projectors should be changed.

Peter

I still think the light output with a pnp kit is better then the stock halogens obviously.

The light may be more concentrated in the center like the pics above but overall the night visibility is better and the cutoff is clean enough where I haven't got flashed once driving at night.

I've had pnp kits on reflector housing cars and the light is scattered every where blinding other drivers no matter how low you point them you will be throwing light in someone's eyes.

The concentration of light on the pics above seems worse in the pics above then it does to the eye in real life.

Peter

The 55W conversion is overkill. The 35W conversion is perfect.

The stock projectors are fine.

Peter

No it doesn't. There is a difference between better performance and what is safe for the driver and other people on the road. The stock projectors are safe and don't need to be changed.

No it doesn't. There is a difference between better performance and what is safe for the driver and other people on the road. The stock projectors are safe and don't need to be changed.
You will never get the correct/optimum performance without changing the projectors. The projectors designed for Halogen are different than those designed for HID. Will you get better lighting, YES, that has never been denied. Can you get the proper focus, NO. That's a fact.

Peter

I have the same kit in my Sport15
Its not perfect but it's pretty dam good. Bright as it can be and it's not blinding incoming or oncoming traffic.

Bigmoose15 - No it doesn't. There is a difference between better performance and what is safe for the driver and other people on the road. The stock projectors are safe and don't need to be changed.
I agree

OK EXPLORER SPORT - The 55W conversion is overkill. The 35W conversion is perfect.

The stock projectors are fine.

Honestly all I've previously bought where 35w kits, this is my first 55w and the light output doesn't seem much difference.

Back