Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put on stock wheels and tires for about a 6 hour drive this weekend. I averaged about 13.8mpg to and from our destination. Some mountain, lots of straight flat road through the desert. Probably averaging 80mph.

That calculation shows 14 L/100km = 16.8010417 Miles per gallon. That is Imperial gallons, not U.S. gallons. Using different conversion calculators 16.7 mpg (Imperial) still comes out to 13.905659676513872 mpg (U.S.)
http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/fuelconsumptionconversion.htm

Peter

You're wrong. That is 16.8 miles per US gallon. Google uses US miles per gallon, because that's what anyone specifying gallons uses (otherwise, they'd use SI liters). Nobody uses imperial gallons without specifying IMPERIAL gallons. If the word IMPERIAL isn't there, its a US gallon.

Also, from the link, YOU JUST PROVIDED, 14L/100km = 16.8 mpg = 20.2 IMPERIAL gallons.
IJNsqTG.png

Okay, I see where I may have gone wrong. When Brian stated he changed the units in the MFT from km to miles I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the 16.7 mpg he reported was using Imperial gallons as I mentioned in post 342. Since our Explorer is built for the Canadian market I would think that everything would be calculated in the units we use here. It would be so much simpler if we all used the same units of measurement/volume etc.

Peter

We use Imperial gallons here and the mpg's Brian reported were in Imperial. When he changes the set up from L/100km to MPG, the MPG is in Imperial gallons. Therefore the conversion is required to get the figure into U.S. numbers.

Peter

file_zpseadcjhze.jpg

Fuel economy has improved since tuning my Explorer Sport. The 3.5 Liter Ecoboost engine is now a more efficient.

That said, start pushing the fun pedal on the Explorer Sport and the Fuel use is the same as Ford's Coyote.

Poor MPG

2015 Ford Explorer 4wd 3.5 V6 engine is getting only 18.8 miles per gallon - highway Sticker advises 23 MPG. 20% difference. Is there an economy setting on the on-board computer. Is anyone else also getting poor MPG?

Welcome to this forum! There are many factors which are involved to obtain the "ideal" MPG that they post on the sticker. Stepping completely down on the accelerator pedal, then stepping on the brake pedal will lower your MPG. Driving on a steep incline with a lot of weight in the vehicle will also reduce your MPG. Check a thread on this site called Quest for 30 for fuel saving tips.

2015 Ford Explorer 4wd 3.5 V6 engine is getting only 18.8 miles per gallon - highway Sticker advises 23 MPG. 20% difference. Is there an economy setting on the on-board computer. Is anyone else also getting poor MPG?
What's your cruising speed? Speed limit or more?

I get an honest 23 at 65-70 MPH on flat interstate in summer. Only 19-20 in winter.

87 octane.

how many miles do you have?
how many people do you normally have onboard?
how do you drive?
What speed are you driving?
AC on/off?

See how all these and many more factors can contribute to your MPG?
I was getting 20.5 ish, ended up needing the purge valve replaced and now in the upper 21's in my commute and i bet it would be higher but we drive fast in AZ!

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this one on the same topic.
It would also be helpful in addressing future concerns if you add the model of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. Not all models have the same features.

Peter

2015 Ford Explorer XLT MPG

18.8 MPG driving on I-75 at 70-75 2 persons, 87 octane fuel, A/C on.
On 2012 model, was getting 21MPG Highway - same car & engine

2013 Xsport with SCT preloaded tune. Driving a constant 60-65 mph over a 30 minute period, mostly 65. No cruise control, just my right foot. Here is a 30 minute history of the fuel economy. It was right at 26.5-27mpg's when my wife snapped these shots.

I know the picture shows the indicated speed was about 56, I was off the gas exiting the freeway when she took the picture.

20150510_094231_zps0ymrp9mo.jpg

20150510_094238_zps1atwwbq9.jpg

14.2mpg for a brand new 2015 Explorer XLT FWD

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new 2015 Explorer XLD FWD (gas) a few days ago. Now odometer is at 180 miles. I have been driven about 130 miles in not very congested city road (avg speed at 30-40 miles per hour).

To my great surprise is the low fuel efficiency. Once after reset, gas mileage was at 17-18 mpg and then gradually goes down, now at 14.2mpg.

Is this normal for a brand new Explorer? If not, what could cause such problem?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new 2015 Explorer XLD FWD (gas) a few days ago. Now odometer is at 180 miles. I have been driven about 130 miles in not very congested city road (avg speed at 30-40 miles per hour).

To my great surprise is the low fuel efficiency. Once after reset, gas mileage was at 17-18 mpg and then gradually goes down, now at 14.2mpg.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
From your Owner's Guide;

Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers) of driving (this is your engine’s break-in period); a more accurate
measurement is obtained after 2000 miles–3000 miles (3200 kilometers–4800 kilometers).

Your MPG should improve over time. Also your transmission is likely still in its 'learning' stage as is the idle and fuel trim program.

Peter

Mine usually hits the sweet spot after about 8,000 miles.

Mine usually hits the sweet spot after about 8,000 miles.
Geez, I might just make that when my 3 year lease is up. It'll be close. After 14+ months I'm at 3,400 mi.:D

Peter

After 14+ months I'm at 3,400 mi.:D

And you're worried about MPG? :eek: Can I buy your "used" Ex at the end of the lease? ;-)

Geez, I might just make that when my 3 year lease is up. It'll be close. After 14+ months I'm at 3,400 mi.:D

Peter

I'm at 7000 miles... 3 months into my 3 years lease. I just love driving my 2015 sport.. Lol

And you're worried about MPG? :eek: Can I buy your "used" Ex at the end of the lease? ;-)
I'm not worried about MPG at all. During the Summer months and until minor hockey starts up again, I fill up about every 6+ weeks. BTW, it's not an Ex., it's an MKT.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a brand new engine in stop/go city driving?

Give it some time to break in, do some road trips, and then see what you get.

Also - check your fuel mileage after a consistent tank fillup. The mileage displayed on the trip computer is not entirely accurate.

Back