• Register Today It's free!

Paint Damage

Jvallejo22

Reaction score
City, State
Providence, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
SO about a week ago I was at work and noticed someone had hit, scratch my driver side 2nd row door.
To this date I have not figure out who it was or what exactly happened. I am hoping to fix this as soon as possible as it its driving me crazy. I have a ruby red 2015 explorer sport so it stands out a WHOLE lot.!!!
here is the damage :(:(:(

hucF9i.jpg

GTkiF3.jpg

2fllKh.jpg

http://po.st/73fwT3 (here is a link if the pictures are too small)

does anyone know if i would have to have a custom shop paint the entire door or what ??? what are my options ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the scratches right down to the under coat. If not you can try a scratch remover. I've had success with that. If you don't want to try the Ford touch up paint then you may be looking at a complete door repaint since they will have to also reapply the clearcoat. Best to see what the body shop says. It is hard to tell from the pictures.

Peter

the first scratch/dent is always the hardest to take. The rest are much easier.

I use the Ford touch-up on my ruby red 2014.

Well it looks like the scratch is deep since you can see the white painting under the Ruby red. I'll take it to a custom shop to see what they think just to be sure.

...eyeball every car & look at the doors and their bumper moulding and the shape of the door edge when open, and you will find it.

Get the touch-up paint from any Ford dealer. Ruby Red might be a two step/two bottle kit like the White Platinum Tri-coat, but maybe not. Also get some 1500 grit micro-fine sand paper.

If you get 2 bottles in the kit, one is the basic red and will say basecoat, the other is the topcoat which gives it the pearl-essence.

If you get a single bottle: Apply the paint with the brush allowing it to dry about 20-30 minutes between coats until you build the scratched area up to the surface of the original paint. Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat. You can use a matchstick or similar soft flat edge to scrape the excess paint off around the scratch.

After you're satisfied the scratch is filled in, let it dry for at least an hour. Then take a small piece of the 1500 paper and a bucket of water and start wet sanding the damaged/repainted area. It will become hazy/dull as you wet sand. Keep dipping the paper into the water to keep it wet. Use a clean towel/rag to wipe the area off so you can see the progress. When you have no high or low spots (The scratched area looks the same, dull/hazy.) use a mild cut polishing compound (Scratch remover or similar.) to buff the haze off.

With patience you will never even know it was scratched. Keep in mind you can apply more color to build it back up if you discover you didn't fill it in all the way the first time.

If you get a 2-part color kit, do the same steps as above, then apply the topcoat, let it dry for at least an hour then do the same light wet sand and polish to finish it.

PATIENCE is the key here!! Attempting to rush the process will give you results you won't be happy with. This means you will be doing it over again and spending more time with it.

Post good before and after photos for everyone to see how easy this can be!!

Get the touch-up paint from any Ford dealer. Ruby Red might be a two step/two bottle kit like the White Platinum Tri-coat, but maybe not. Also get some 1500 grit micro-fine sand paper.

If you get 2 bottles in the kit, one is the basic red and will say basecoat, the other is the topcoat which gives it the pearl-essence.

If you get a single bottle: Apply the paint with the brush allowing it to dry about 20-30 minutes between coats until you build the scratched area up to the surface of the original paint. Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat. You can use a matchstick or similar soft flat edge to scrape the excess paint off around the scratch.

After you're satisfied the scratch is filled in, let it dry for at least an hour. Then take a small piece of the 1500 paper and a bucket of water and start wet sanding the damaged/repainted area. It will become hazy/dull as you wet sand. Keep dipping the paper into the water to keep it wet. Use a clean towel/rag to wipe the area off so you can see the progress. When you have no high or low spots (The scratched area looks the same, dull/hazy.) use a mild cut polishing compound (Scratch remover or similar.) to buff the haze off.

With patience you will never even know it was scratched. Keep in mind you can apply more color to build it back up if you discover you didn't fill it in all the way the first time.

If you get a 2-part color kit, do the same steps as above, then apply the topcoat, let it dry for at least an hour then do the same light wet sand and polish to finish it.

PATIENCE is the key here!! Attempting to rush the process will give you results you won't be happy with. This means you will be doing it over again and spending more time with it.

Post good before and after photos for everyone to see how easy this can be!!

Easier said than done lol.
I'll give it a try at the end of the week. Thanks alot!

Actually it is pretty easy. The key, and I can't stress it enough, is be patient, especially with the paint drying process. I promise you the results will amaze you. This is the exact same way a body shop will repair that. Or they'll quote you $400+ to paint the entire door. Then what thy will do is fill the scratch and maybe wet sand the entire door. Then they'll shoot it with clear and buff the whole side so it looks like new. You're so happy that you pay too much for so little. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone making a living and providing a service to do it. However this is something most anyone can do with impressive results.

Here's a story for you:

A 'kid' in my neighborhood (He's an adult in college, but a kid to me as I watched him grow up.) is a car nut and knows I am as we've talked and he sees me tinkering with something in the driveway all the time. He does detail work and I had asked him what he recommends/uses for chrome. I was working on my truck last month and he pulled in the driveway. He has a Dart STX that he has tricked out. The thing is always clean. Anyway, we were talking and he showed me some things he's done with the car. Then he pointed out the scratch that went down the hood from the washer nozzle all the way across the nose piece to the grill. He bemoaned ignorant college kids and indicated he had been quoted $600 to paint the hood and nose piece. He also said it was a lease so he (or dad) was gonna hafta fix it before it gets turned in or the dealer will charge for it.

Now he had already bought the paint and filled the scratch in. I took the 1500 grit and a water bucket and I made the 3" scratch on the nose piece disappear. I think I used Scratch Doctor as my polishing compound and it took maybe 15 - 20 minutes. After he got over the utter amazement, he went home with a few sheets of 1500 grit and he was at it a few hours later when I walked the dog.

Anyway, I saw the hood a week later and you would never know it was scratched. Even his parents were thanking me 'cause it saved them a few bucks.
The point is he watched me for a few minutes and then did it for the first time with incredible results. You can too!!

Actually it is pretty easy. The key, and I can't stress it enough, is be patient, especially with the paint drying process. I promise you the results will amaze you. This is the exact same way a body shop will repair that. Or they'll quote you $400+ to paint the entire door. Then what thy will do is fill the scratch and maybe wet sand the entire door. Then they'll shoot it with clear and buff the whole side so it looks like new. You're so happy that you pay too much for so little. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone making a living and providing a service to do it. However this is something most anyone can do with impressive results.

Here's a story for you:

A 'kid' in my neighborhood (He's an adult in college, but a kid to me as I watched him grow up.) is a car nut and knows I am as we've talked and he sees me tinkering with something in the driveway all the time. He does detail work and I had asked him what he recommends/uses for chrome. I was working on my truck last month and he pulled in the driveway. He has a Dart STX that he has tricked out. The thing is always clean. Anyway, we were talking and he showed me some things he's done with the car. Then he pointed out the scratch that went down the hood from the washer nozzle all the way across the nose piece to the grill. He bemoaned ignorant college kids and indicated he had been quoted $600 to paint the hood and nose piece. He also said it was a lease so he (or dad) was gonna hafta fix it before it gets turned in or the dealer will charge for it.

Now he had already bought the paint and filled the scratch in. I took the 1500 grit and a water bucket and I made the 3" scratch on the nose piece disappear. I think I used Scratch Doctor as my polishing compound and it took maybe 15 - 20 minutes. After he got over the utter amazement, he went home with a few sheets of 1500 grit and he was at it a few hours later when I walked the dog.

Anyway, I saw the hood a week later and you would never know it was scratched. Even his parents were thanking me 'cause it saved them a few bucks.
The point is he watched me for a few minutes and then did it for the first time with incredible results. You can too!!

That's awesome. I wish there was a video walk through. Just to see for myself. I am very visual person. Is there anyway I can find a video online somewhere? I'd like to see it before trying it myself. I'd hate to mess it up and cost more damage to the paint.

I haven't seen one, nor have I tried making one. In any case, look at it this way: You're preparing to let a body shop charge you for essentially repainting the entire door regardless of whether they actually do that or not. I can't think of a thing you could do following those directions that could make it worse or cost you more, so you really don't have anything to lose. I'm guessing you must have a nick or chip in the front or rear bumper paint. It clearly doesn't bother you to the level this chip does. (Or maybe the wife's car or another car you have around that can serve as a guinea pig.) Practice on one of those first. If you really want to be overly cautious go get a gas flap from a boneyard and practice on that. You can scratch and repair that without causing yourself any anxiety at all!!

Remember: You will fail at everything you're afraid to try!

Back