New member hello + A/C Problem

Lqbball07

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hello all,

Just purchased an 02 explorer last month and was looking at joining and contributing to a forum so I settled in here. Just wanted to say hello to all.

Hopefully you all can lend me some advice on an issue I am having with the A/C.

The A/C on my explorer works ok when the switch is set to the 1,2,4 positions. However the number three position produces no results. Esentially going from 2 to 3 produces no new results. The a/c still runs but only blowing as hard as the number 2 setting.

In addition the selcetor dial, that goes from vets, to mixed, to floor. Is unresponsive. Only allowing for vents. And on occasion the ac will shut off vents completly and get itself stuck in defrost seemingly on its own accord. As well when this happens I can't switch back to vents, it will just go back on its own time.

Any advice, ideas would be much appreciated guys. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gday and welcome to the forum. sorry i cant help with the ac you probably need it living in socal, try doing a search for ac problems you may find something there

Hello all,

Just purchased an 02 explorer last month and was looking at joining and contributing to a forum so I settled in here. Just wanted to say hello to all.

Hopefully you all can lend me some advice on an issue I am having with the A/C.

The A/C on my explorer works ok when the switch is set to the 1,2,4 positions. However the number three position produces no results. Esentially going from 2 to 3 produces no new results. The a/c still runs but only blowing as hard as the number 2 setting.

In addition the selcetor dial, that goes from vets, to mixed, to floor. Is unresponsive. Only allowing for vents. And on occasion the ac will shut off vents completly and get itself stuck in defrost seemingly on its own accord. As well when this happens I can't switch back to vents, it will just go back on its own time.

Any advice, ideas would be much appreciated guys. thank you

First things first: Welcome aboard! :salute:

I have the same issue with the fan speed control switch on my '02 XLT. I can feel that it has some resistance in the switch when moving from 2 to 3 and there is no difference in the speed of the fan. I am going to be changing the switch later today in hopes that it fixes the problem. I believe the switch is around $20 at your local ford dealer. I was lucky and got mine on ebay for real cheap.

You may have a problem with the switch or the blower motor resistor. If you do a search for blower motor resistor, you'll find a bunch of threads on the subject. You can also do a search for your other problem as I have seen a bunch of threads relating to that as well.

Hope this helps out. :D Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Thank you both for your fast replies!

@lynchywa- I really do need the A/C out here in sunny southern california :)

@BigRondo-Thank you for your advice I will take a look at the topics you have suggested for me to search. Let me know how replacing the switch works for you :)

Thank you both for your fast replies!

@lynchywa- I really do need the A/C out here in sunny southern california :)

@BigRondo-Thank you for your advice I will take a look at the topics you have suggested for me to search. Let me know how replacing the switch works for you :)

Replaced the switch and all 4 speeds work correctly now. Did I need to have the 3rd speed working: no. Was it driving me crazy that it wasn't working: yes.

Lqbball07, if you have any questions about changing the switch let me know.

@Bigrondo- Congrats on fixing your problem! I was thinking of changing the switch out as it is the cheaper fix. How long did it take you to change? Also do you have any ideas on the problem with not being able to switch levels(outputs) Floor,vent, bi-level.
Thanks

I had the same problem with the fan speed, changed the switch like bigrondo and its working fine...

The switch only takes about 20 minutes to change.. You have to pop the radio bezel off the dash(carefully), and then just unscrew/unplug the switch and put the new one in.

I can't really help you with the other problem, sorry.

Replaced the switch and all 4 speeds work correctly now. Did I need to have the 3rd speed working: no. Was it driving me crazy that it wasn't working: yes.

Lqbball07, if you have any questions about changing the switch let me know.

BigRondo,

I now have the same problem that you did. I replaced the blower resistor and went from only "High or 4" setting working to 1, 2 & 3rd (the same speed) and 4 working. I can't live with that either, so I'll be buying the switch this week.

Now for my other issue. My AC seems to fluctuate from the dash vents to nothing, with the floor vents always working. Doesn't do this with the heat, only the AC. I was gonna give it a shot of AC coolant to see if that helps anyway (and couldn't hurt a 2002 with 205,000 miles on it and last charged God knows how many years ago). I am thinking if that doesn't solve it, possibly the relay? What do you guys think?

This site has been an invaluable resource since I have bought my 2 Explorers over the years, so thanks!!!

There are several posts about both your issues so do more searches and you will find possible solutions. I had both and fixed them from advice found here. See this YouTube link to see if this doesn't explain why your air flow doesn't move to the area you select. I had to rig up a connection to the arm and the blend door. Hope this helps

http://youtu.be/bUfdqFR7d0s

Back