• Register Today It's free!

Stock 4WD v8?

Dasan458

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I can't seem to find any info on a 4wd 1998 - 2001 5.0 Model. All that comes up is just AWD. I know they exist because I used to have a blue 1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0 that was 4x4 and I kick myself for selling it. It had the switch beside the radio to do so. I have seen only a hand full for sale online but when I look for the transfer case its all AWD NO INFO AT ALL ON V8 4X4. any info or help would be greatly appreciated on the 4x4 v8.

I want the t-case because I have currently have a v8 AWD and want to make it 4WD. Yes i know about the manual shift and v6 t-case, but I only want what came off of a v8 explorer.

Thank you ~ Dasan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There were no factory 4WD V8 models.. Only AWD or 2WD, you however could do a 4406 swap on the v8 to get a selectable manual t-case.

Did you buy the '98 new? Maybe a previous owner had done the conversion.

I'll be honest with you. That's really interesting.

But I'd like to see a resource other than that auction website. :D

Do you have any photos of your old ride?

Unfortunately no. I used to be able to find ones for sale online that were v8 and 4x4 but now I can't barely even find any explores for sale period.

There is no factory v8 4x4 with low range explorer or mountaineer, only V6. Now the Sohc V6 has a good deal of power and is actually faster stock to stock to a v8, maybe you had the v6 and thought it was an 8?

There is no factory v8 4x4 with low range explorer or mountaineer, only V6. Now the Sohc V6 has a good deal of power and is actually faster stock to stock to a v8, maybe you had the v6 and thought it was an 8?

I can assure you there was, but they are very rare. And I would never mistaken the v8 for a v6 because I am a hardcore car guy and have been dealing and around vehicles for years. Also did you even look at those links? And as for a piece of crap v6 that has timing chain issues beating a 5.0? your out of your mind! And do you think a 4.0 could pull a semi out of the ditch? or haul a 28' foot starcraft boat from NC to Florida Keys and back several times a year?

Don't want to come off as rude, but I can fight against all of these..

Ok I heard from several people that it was only in the 98 model but yes, I bought it new. And for all you skeptics out there, I found one at a wreck auction...

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=19054132&RowNumber=14

You can clearly see the 4x4 switch

That's not a 4x4 switch, that's an air ride switch. Some V8s had those to control the air ride. Went over it already with some. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410783

Same as above..

Not a reputable site.. In my opinion.

The center dash bezel has been changed with one from an XLT.
The vehicle has fog lights, but no fog light button on dash and it's a limited, so it's not a limited bumper on an XL..

Well I'm done arguing about it. Mine had 4x4 and v8. If you don't believe me go ask ford. Well If I can't get anyone on here to help me then I guess I will have to use the manual t-case. I just don't want a v6 t-case because I don't care how many people say It will, I don't believe it will hold up to the v8 very long -_-

Dom. Good eyes catching that bezel being wrong on that Limited. Saved me from driving 35 minutes after work tomorrow. Would've been like chasing a unicorn. :eek:

All the iaai.com links provided actually say AWD in the description and when you click on the VIN same thing. The other site doesnt list just 98 as 4wd...other years also, which wouldnt make them that rare...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dom. Good eyes catching that bezel being wrong on that Limited. Saved me from driving 35 minutes after work tomorrow. Would've been like chasing a unicorn. :eek:

I notice weird things sometimes..

Back