Help with LED's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with LED's

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
So I decided I wanted to replace all my lights with leds. I ordered some 3157 leds for the rear brake and turn signals. My problem is, after installing them, I have brake lights and turn signals but no tail lights. Anybody know why this is? If I put the old incandescent bulbs back in I have tail lights and everything so I know it's not with the wiring.. maybe I need load resistors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought load resistors were only needed for hyper flash. Have you tried flipping the bulb when installing in socket, can't remember if that's for the 3156 or 3157

It's a 3157. When I installed them I had nothing so I flipped the bulb and now have brake and turn signals but no tail lights.. However the turn signals are hyperflashing..

I had a similar problem. You need to install the ep27 flasher with led's to get rid of hyper flash, however if you're doing both front and rear led's it seems to have an issue working (at least for me). I had front led turn signals with the flasher with no issues, but once I added the rear led bulbs it was pretty much the opposite of your problem. They light up for brake lights, but don't do anything for turn signals. And that's not something that has to do with load resistors. So unfortunately I just returned the rear led bulbs and just run leds up front. Not many people on here have tried it so I still don't know why that was even an issue

I only have led in the rear with that same flasher for the hyper flash issue. I've been waiting for the funds to splurge on those xb led turn signals from trs. Still don't know if I want to do switchbacks or keep them stock- I'm leaning to the stock Amber thou.

It sounds like you have one or both of your LEDs installed backwards. They are diodes, which means power will only flow through them in one direction.

Otherwise, do you have one of those light up hitch covers or those lights for the bottom of your tailgate? Those may also cause issues.

Find, you think they are backwards? Wouldn't all functions not work if they were reversed? I've never dealt with replacing a dual filament bulb, just normal single filament ones, so I'm curious.

Find, you think they are backwards? Wouldn't all functions not work if they were reversed? I've never dealt with replacing a dual filament bulb, just normal single filament ones, so I'm curious.

That's right. Wouldn't be backwards, when they are they just don't light up at all

Sorry to revive this thread, but I realized I should clarify my response on here. I've found, that many aftermarket LED lamps light on explorers when installed in reverse. I'm not sure if it is because the way the lamps are wired is to make them compatible with C/K and standard sockets, or if it's the way the Explorers are wired and that there is a low current voltage at the ground coming from the third brake light, and the bright side that is getting voltage from the brake would then be able to ground through the marker lighting. Honestly, I never thought to check. On first Gen explorers, you can get the effect because of the voltage supplied to the third brake for cruise control, on second gen and later Explorers it seems to work differently. It may also be related to things like trailer wiring or aftermarket lighted hitch type things. Anyway, weirdness abounds with Ford wiring. That's half the fun.

But, FWIW, I had exactly the same issue on my Second Gen when I had installed one of my bulbs backwards.

Back