• Register Today It's free!

Need your opinion

Accarguy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I just bought a 2000 ex eb 5.0 awd and I had a 99 ex eb 4.0 4x4. On my 99 I had the torsion keys in the front turned up all the way and added and extra leaf in the back. I also had 31 inch BFGs on it. Now I am going back and forth weather I should put that leaf in in my new one and turn the keys up with the 31s, or add a little bit bigger leaf and different keys up front with the 31 inch tires. Or do I just keep it stock. It is my daily driver and I don't really go off the road too much but I do like the look of it being beefer. I know there is a million threads for lifts and whatnot but I just need an opinion on this. I also did have too many other suspension problems other thanks some with the sway bar links on my old one. Thank you much for the reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put the torsion keys in the front and new springs with the add a leaf and the warrior shackles in the rear.

I just put 265/70/18 (32.6x10.5x18) Coopers on.

It rides so much smoother than the worn stock parts.

MT

Thanks for he reply. I think I'll do the leaf and the key. I was going to do the shackles but the bolts were frozen in the bushing in the frame so I left well enough alone on my old one. Plus I was a little hesitant on the idea of the shackles sticking out like a sore thumb under the bumber.

Thanks for he reply. I think I'll do the leaf and the key. I was going to do the shackles but the bolts were frozen in the bushing in the frame so I left well enough alone on my old one. Plus I was a little hesitant on the idea of the shackles sticking out like a sore thumb under the bumber.

I personally think the shackles look great if they are painted black or some other decent paint...

You can also do a leaf swap from a late 80's early 90's f-150 with the tow package... their are a bunch of threads on it in this forum.

I had a hell of a time getting the bottom bolts out of the shackles.

Then I went and bought a can of SeaFoam's Deep Creep.

After spraying the upper bolts a couple of times, they slid right out.

There was no problem at all.

Do yourself a favor and try a can.

Different ones say that the torsion keys are a waste of $$, I disagree.

Mine rides smoother than it ever has.

The rear springs I used are rated at 500 lbs more per side.

The shackles just finished it off so that I could run the bigger tire, and they really don't stick down below the bumper enough to notice. They may hang down more if the leaves are shot.

Yes, you can use used springs out of an F150, but for less than $300 I got brand new heavier rated springs.

I really don't see cheaping out over such a small amount.

Good Luck

MT

Thank you for the reply i am going to add the leaf and the keys in the front and see how it sits. What brand and size tire are you running?

Back