• Register Today It's free!

Apps for MFT. What apps?

dont slow down

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabeth City NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Limited
We have the MFT in our 13 and we don't have navigation. Instead we have the Information tab, under that tab there is an option for "Apps" and installing them. When you go to that page it looks for an external device to install from. I can't find anything that shows a list of installable apps or where to get the apps from. Anyone know what can be installed and where to find the apps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no apps that can be installed. It was something Ford provisioned for but never fully developed.

It has been widely discussed....Ford had big plans for MFT but never went through with most of them. It is a pretty basic system.

That is supposedly to be corrected with SYNC 3.

Peter

AppLink and a web browser were promised with MFT, when I bought my 2011 w/ MFT I was told both would be coming by spring 2011. Being an MS developer part of my original purchase decision was based on being able to write my own apps for the car, but Ford never brought AppLink to MFT. The base model with Sync got it, but the more expensive MFT got shafted.

For grins, here is a picture of the original web browser that was supposed to ship w/ MFT
ford-mytouch-30-photo-320539-s-cd-gallery.jpg

Yup me too, and in actual fact each new version of MFT has had a functionality reduction as they struggled for stability in not only the software but reputation.

Those of us that started this process in 2011 have a much different view then those who started with MFT in 13/14 when stability was vastly improved.

This web browsing ability was cutting edge at the time and I too factored it in as one of my main reasons for purchasing the product only to be disappointed each upgrade.

The removal of climate controls from the right side DIC is still baffling to me.

While I love my Sport, the multi-media MFT system is still a disappointment considering what the competition is offering today.

Having a new BMW X3 35i, and comparing it to my wife's Sport, I'm hoping Ford will take some notes on the competitors systems, like the ConnectedDrive system. Although the user interface is not touch screen (except the touchpad on the iDrive interface), its got an onboard hard drive and the hardware speed is there to support the system and is quick and responsive. High definition maps and can do split screen, as well as support the car's 4 cameras. The connectivity features are good, I especially like the emergency feature with the crash proof telephony hardware.(Who knows where my cell phone will end up in a crash) It will call you if the airbag deploys and send your GPS location and car data within a meter to emergency services if you don't respond to the call.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/...vices_apps/intelligent_emergency_calling.html

The feature I use the most on the BMW is the google maps "send to my car" feature(Via the vehicle call data), where i can look up a location on google maps on my PC or the iPhone BMW app and send to the car, and when I get into the car the message is there waiting to accept as destination. Also the phone number and other things about the destination is displayed. Several makes support that feature with Google but Ford isn't one of them. I'm sure that will change with Sync3 if they add the must have data SIM card to the system.

The current MFT also has the 911 feature that will send coordinates to emergency services and will automatically unlock all doors in the event of an accident.
In the write-ups I've read on Sync 3, I have not read anything about the use of the SIM card.

Peter

Sync will do the "send to my car feature" with map info or a full trip, plus a few other things.
It does anything it can do via your registered mobile device, which assumes eventually it will be connected to the car via BT.
So you do whatever setup at a PC & your Ford Owner online acct, and once you connect the phone via BT, it can import your trip...

Also may only work with Mapquest? There was some limitation of map provider.

Some other tidbits as well but too many steps to get it to the car, on here some have said it wont always work, and data transfer is super slow.

...I once submitted a vehicle health report and from inside the car, i swear I heard a barely audible classic modem dial-out/response handshake.

The current MFT also has the 911 feature that will send coordinates to emergency services and will automatically unlock all doors in the event of an accident.
In the write-ups I've read on Sync 3, I have not read anything about the use of the SIM card.

Peter

If you have your phone with you at the time and still connected to BT. I'll remind my wife to set up her new phone to the explorer, I don't think she has done that yet. The reference to the SIM card was meant that cellular data built into the SYNC system would be nice so as not to need a USB Data or BT cell phone connection. I think the remote start add-on has the SIM card to activate cellular data.

Sync will do the "send to my car feature" with map info or a full trip, plus a few other things.
It does anything it can do via your registered mobile device, which assumes eventually it will be connected to the car via BT.
So you do whatever setup at a PC & your Ford Owner online acct, and once you connect the phone via BT, it can import your trip...

Also may only work with Mapquest? There was some limitation of map provider.

Some other tidbits as well but too many steps to get it to the car, on here some have said it wont always work, and data transfer is super slow.

...I once submitted a vehicle health report and from inside the car, i swear I heard a barely audible classic modem dial-out/response handshake.

I'll have to try to get it to the car and see what happens, seems a lot of work though. The BMW destination is always there when I get in, so appears to not have much latency. Would be nice to be able to select the route rather than just the destination and the Nav sorting out the route. I've seen other posts asking if that was possible other than deselection tolls roads or other controls. Google and my iPhone usually offer more than one route to select from, or you can "rubber band' change the route by click and drag. Would like to see that feature in cars.

One feature the Explorer Nav Map has the BMW doesn't do (at least not mine) is the weather radar overlay. BMW will show condition/temps as major cities but not other details. I found on road trips the weather on the Explore to accurately show rain and snow along the route.

I'll have to try to get it to the car and see what happens, seems a lot of work though. The BMW destination is always there when I get in, so appears to not have much latency. Would be nice to be able to select the route rather than just the destination and the Nav sorting out the route. I've seen other posts asking if that was possible other than deselection tolls roads or other controls. Google and my iPhone usually offer more than one route to select from, or you can "rubber band' change the route by click and drag. Would like to see that feature in cars.

One feature the Explorer Nav Map has the BMW doesn't do (at least not mine) is the weather radar overlay. BMW will show condition/temps as major cities but not other details. I found on road trips the weather on the Explore to accurately show rain and snow along the route.
There's an Android App called Send To Car.
With it, from google maps, you click share, then choose the send to car app.
Then you call "Services" from your car and it'll prompt to download the waypoint.
It's clunky at best, but it works and doesn't require fiddling with entering addresses in MFT. This way my wife can find destination on her phone, send it to Sync Services, then I can call through my phone to download to MFT.

There's an Android App called Send To Car.
With it, from google maps, you click share, then choose the send to car app.
Then you call "Services" from your car and it'll prompt to download the waypoint.
It's clunky at best, but it works and doesn't require fiddling with entering addresses in MFT. This way my wife can find destination on her phone, send it to Sync Services, then I can call through my phone to download to MFT.

I think that one is $3.99 in the iTunes Store, but it allows you to test it with the car before buying, I might do that for the heck of it to see what happens. Smart move for someone to come up with that app.

Peter

The problem with Ford's version of 911 Post Crash Alert is its relying on your phone surviving the impact. The OPP did some crash test videos in 2014 that showed most often the cell-phone is a missile inside a vehicle on impact and usually doesn't work well enough to dial out.

Built in systems like BMW and On* are superior for these scenarios.

I think that one is $3.99 in the iTunes Store, but it allows you to test it with the car before buying, I might do that for the heck of it to see what happens. Smart move for someone to come up with that app.

SYNC Destinations is free(on iTunes at least) and does the same thing.

Yes, SYNC Destinations on iPhone works great. Free app. Really love it. Better than the map on MFT. Has tons more POI's than the MFT navy system. I think that it is only good for free on new vehicle with sync for three years and then there is a yearly fee afterwards. But, man it is good.

Does anybody know if Ford will implement a HUD? Could be a slick new feature to integrate with the new Sync since it's open for development.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anybody know if Ford will implement a HUD? Could be a slick new feature to integrate with the new Sync since it's open for development.

Have been looking for someone to produce a quality aftermarket HUD since I got the car. My wife's Camaro makes it so nice, but nothing comparative is out for aftermarket applications .. I second a Ford factory HUD implementation!

Back