Striker Bolt | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Striker Bolt

PEX for strikers

I used 1/2 inch PEX for my doors and they just slid right on. I then cut pieces of proper size and gave them to two other EX owners. We are all very happy with our cheap fix. I had already used the ones from the kit for the hatch. As noted earlier by another poster, Universal means it doesn't fit a darn thing, in reference to the HELP kit.
My '93 Eddie B uses T-50 torx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found this thread the other day. I used 1/2 PEX on my 92 XLT works great. Cost less than $2 from Lowes. Enough for all 4 doors. Thanks FLwireman

Sorry to revive this thread more than three years later but when I try to remove my old striker bolt it feels like it's got a nut on the back side of the bolt inside the door pillar.
I'm afraid that if I keep unscrewing it whatever is on the back is going to fall down into the pillar never to be seen again.

I do not see how it could have any such nut on the back of it. Does the striker bolt just thread into the door pillar? Is there anyway I can get inside the pillar without cutting into it?

I've never taken mine out but from reading the post in this thread it seems you can just unscrew out that bolt to replace the bushing. There is no loose nut on the back side that would make no sense. How could you unscrew it if there was a loose nut spinning on the backside. I assume the nut is welded to the body or molded into it. I think its not really a nut but a steel plate molded in the panel.

I never even thought about those bushings. I just went out side to check mine. My 91 doesn't have any bushing on the bolt. Doesn't seem like there ever was one. Wonder if they only started putting them on after 91? unless they all broke out on all 4 doors..

Door striker is held in by a "captured nut" that allows slight movement when loosened but won't fall when removed. Here's more info.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340603&highlight=door+striker

Thanks! This was exactly the confirmation I was looking for. Two striker bolts replaced.

I've never taken mine out but from reading the post in this thread it seems you can just unscrew out that bolt to replace the bushing. There is no loose nut on the back side that would make no sense. How could you unscrew it if there was a loose nut spinning on the backside. I assume the nut is welded to the body or molded into it. I think its not really a nut but a steel plate molded in the panel.

I never even thought about those bushings. I just went out side to check mine. My 91 doesn't have any bushing on the bolt. Doesn't seem like there ever was one. Wonder if they only started putting them on after 91? unless they all broke out on all 4 doors..

I agree, it didn't make any sense at all. Once the bolt was loose it was clearly being held on by something but was also obviously not threaded into the door pillar. Low and behold, that "captured" nut holds onto the bolt and gives the false impression that it might fall down into the pillar if removed.

Back