• Register Today It's free!

bw1354 swap

sportblack99

Reaction score
City, State
uniondale indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
As the title reads I'm looking to do the bw1354 swap. I've got a 2000 sport. I've searched and found many threads on the swap. Found some of the bw1350 swap but I'd like the 1354 due to improved internals. My question is is there full how-to thread on the 1354 swap. I understand that it will bolt up but I'm unsure about the u-joints matching. I'm also not worried about the flashing 4wd lights. I'm just going to remove the bulbs. Any first hand experience would be great too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will also be doin a body lift all the same time

Are you going manual or electric? If you're thinking manual then its a direct bolt in, just need to figure out the linkage. You can also get a GEM from a V8 the same year as your Ex and that will disable all of the control trac electronics. If you're thinking electric then look at the link in my sig. I did a full write up on the 1354 electric swap. If you find a 1354 from a 2000-01 ranger all the shafts will match.

Well I want to do manual if I can find one. I know there is a few 1st Gen ex's at my local take a part. Probably some rangers and deffinetly no BII. I just want full control on my TC. Now that I know my drive shafts match I'm going to start looking. thanks

If you can't find the same year just make sure that you grab the drive shafts too. You may need to adapt the u joints to fit.

You can swap an older (91-94 Explorer) 13-54 in. Your stock rear shaft will work, but you need a front shaft from a 95-96 Explorer.

Good. So I'm looking at less than 200 bucks for the swap. My local take a part charges 99.99 plus a $20 core on TC. 19.99 on drive shafts.

Will one from a ranger match with the rear driveshaft?

Horrible thread revival here... But would it be possible for a 97 SOHC to do this swap? Benefits to doing so over the control trac setup currently in the truck?

Just tired of all the time 4auto... would love to have a true 2wd option.. if this is not the tc for that, can someone point me the right direction?

Horrible thread revival here... But would it be possible for a 97 SOHC to do this swap? Benefits to doing so over the control trac setup currently in the truck?

Just tired of all the time 4auto... would love to have a true 2wd option.. if this is not the tc for that, can someone point me the right direction?

First off, it may be a thread revival, but its still the same topic... It's all good.

To answer your questions in order:

Yes,it will work on your 97 SUCK.

Benefits... Full manual control of your 4wd

If all you want is a true 2wd and dont have a problem with the electric shift, look into the brown wire mod.

First off, it may be a thread revival, but its still the same topic... It's all good.

To answer your questions in order:

Yes,it will work on your 97 SUCK.

Benefits... Full manual control of your 4wd

If all you want is a true 2wd and dont have a problem with the electric shift, look into the brown wire mod.

I have a failed shift motor in my vehicle right now. This is number two.. Im Irritated with the electric shift quite honestly. As far as Im to understand the BWM does not provide true 2wd. and def not unlimitied spin. What I would really love is for something similiar to the bw4406 swap, however since Im not a v8 I know this is not possible. Then I heard about the bw1354 swap. however Im not sure if its just a manual 4 auto 4hi 4lo setup or if its a 2wd 4hi 4 lo setup. I was hoping it was the later.

If that is not a solution for what Im looking for. Is it impossible to take the 2wd 4 hi 4 lo out of the 95-96 ex and make it work with the 4.0 SOHC? Its still electronic shift, but at Least I get a true 2wd function.

The BW1354 is a true 2wd/4hi/4lo t-case. Either the manual or the electric, they are both the same(with the obvious difference of course). I have a 1354 and manual hubs and I can verify it has the 2wd range/setting.

The BW1354 is a true 2wd/4hi/4lo t-case. Either the manual or the electric, they are both the same(with the obvious difference of course). I have a 1354 and manual hubs and I can verify it has the 2wd range/setting.

Thats what I wanted to know... Can you possibly direct me to an install thread?

Back