• Register Today It's free!

mechanism of switching of BW 1354

Oleg_Sayany

Reaction score
City, State
Sayanogorsk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
A help is needed. Where is it possible to purchase the mechanism of switching of BW 1354?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you want a new electric shift motor, or do you want to convert to a manual shifter?

The 95 and newer explorers came with the bw4404 transfer box. The engagement of the front wheels is done electronically. There is no manual control that you could use your hand to engage. You can manually change from high range to low range with a product called the Shiftster. Can be found by googling it. You need to be under the vehicle to do so.

Let me know if you need any clarification on what I said above.

EDIT-- it's the bw4405 in the V6 Explorers.

Only the awd explorers/mountaineers came with the viscous style transfer case bw4404, almost all 4x4 4.0l explorer have the bw1354e transfer case, the 98-11 ranger came with either the bw1354e or bw1354m. Mayne some older rangers and Bronco II's had the 1354's as well.

Only the awd explorers/mountaineers came with the viscous style transfer case bw4404, almost all 4x4 4.0l explorer have the bw1354e transfer case, the 98-11 ranger came with either the bw1354e or bw1354m. Mayne some older rangers and Bronco II's had the 1354's as well.

I stand corrected. It's the 4405. The explorers equipped with control trac (95+ V6s) have an electronic clutch controlling the engagement of the front driveshaft. The short motor only control the high or low range as I stated above. The ranger did contine on with the 1354 as did the 01+ Sport [Tracs] but we are discussing a 96 here.

Note how your knob has a 4x4 auto setting and there's a lot of talk on here about the brown wire mod.

We have 2 96 4.0l explorers at the dealership I work at, and they have the bw1354e. We have a 97 5.0 that has the 4405 and it has no switch on the dash, just a V8 AWD decal on the fenders, and a 97 mountaineer with the 4404 and its dash has the knob with auto 4wd, 4 hi and 4 low. So I guess we need a picture of the range knob to know what transfer case or a vin#

Friends, I set BW 1354M in place of BW 4405. I can not find a switching mechanism (lever) for BW 1354m. Unfortunately, I can not rotin you the photo of lever of switching of BW 1354m.

Oleg, you have the 1354M, but you do not have the shifter that goes with it, correct?
If so, I think your only hope is to find used parts.

Yes that is the only hope you have, but I would try that site and look for a ranger with the bw1354m maybe they'll have what you need. Or I can check my parts department and see if any of it is still available.

And Todd I'm not trying to say your wrong or correct you I could be wrong cause I don't trust what I read to the fullest, plus I'm pretty sure those two explorers are 1354's at my work. I'll have to find the ford transfer case parts list so I know for sure.

Oleg, you have the 1354M, but you do not have the shifter that goes with it, correct?

Yes, correctly. I was looking for on the site eBay this mechanism, but unfortunately it is not there. May be you can help me with the search? I will be very grateful for your help.

well good luck trying to find the parts im at work now so i will talk with the parts department on weather the parts are no longer available or available.

IAmTodd your right on the transfer case that book i have here at work is a cross fitment book on what can be swapped or not. and i cant check those two explorers cause they sold at the auction.

well good luck trying to find the parts im at work now so i will talk with the parts department on weather the parts are no longer available or available.

IAmTodd your right on the transfer case that book i have here at work is a cross fitment book on what can be swapped or not. and i cant check those two explorers cause they sold at the auction.

Nasty Thread revival here... but can someone tell me why many people are swapping to the BW1354? does it come with a true 2wd option? I know nothing about the case and was wondering.

Im all about the manual shift becasue electronics fail too much (2 bad shift motors on my 97 Control Trac SOHC) I was looking to do a 2wd 4hi 4 lo conversion... im will do the BWM as only a last resort. I know I cannot do the BW4406 swap bc I dont have the v8 and was hoping the BW1354 will work similiarly.. can someone verify this?

Would you think it possible for this to work in a 97 SOHC? I will do BWM as last resort, but figured i would try this swap first.. Does this tcase come with a true 2wd option?

Nasty Thread revival here... but can someone tell me why many people are swapping to the BW1354? does it come with a true 2wd option? I know nothing about the case and was wondering.

Im all about the manual shift becasue electronics fail too much (2 bad shift motors on my 97 Control Trac SOHC) I was looking to do a 2wd 4hi 4 lo conversion... im will do the BWM as only a last resort. I know I cannot do the BW4406 swap bc I dont have the v8 and was hoping the BW1354 will work similiarly.. can someone verify this?

Yes the 1354 will work. The other answer is yes the bw1354 is 2wd 4 hi 4 lo.

Back