Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

Plasti dipping mine tomorrow

SHould go well with the tint...black emblems and turn signal tint...going for that stealth look :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally completed the wrap. Took a couple hours to do right.

Attachments

• IMG_4108 (2).jpg
    IMG_4108 (2).jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_4103 (2).jpg
    IMG_4103 (2).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_4102 (2).jpg
    IMG_4102 (2).jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_4100 (2).jpg
    IMG_4100 (2).jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_4097 (2).jpg
    IMG_4097 (2).jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_4096 (2).jpg
    IMG_4096 (2).jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 554

Finally completed the wrap. Took a couple hours to do right.

Looks good. I hope it holds up to the Southern Cali heat/humidity.

I have a friend in your area that did the same to his handles, and within a year, the wrap started to lose adhesion for some reason. He lives in the valley. And since his local dealer quoted $300 to paint the handles, he couldn't afford it.

So I hooked him up with my local dealer in Vegas and he got his done for around $120.00 (not including parts) while on a short vacation here.

not much humidity here, but yes it is hot :fire: (i'm near the SF valley as well). however, its quite tightly wrapped... around the backside and heath shrunk in place, then jammed against the door. I seriously doubt its goin anywhere, but if it does start peeling, I do have these on hand: http://amzn.to/1esvcUm , http://amzn.to/1J6MT8X :). I was quoted $250 to do all the handles in factory matched paint. I chose the $10 DIY vinyl wrap route. That leftover $240 is going to be better spent elsewhere!

Anyone else have this problem? I had one of the spring assemblies come out of its 'home' during re-install.

YES! WARNING! Follow JimiJak's instructions on removing. You do NOT want that spring to fall out of its assmebly. It will take a good 1-2 hours to fix it, and is frustrating as hell. I cant believe how crazy and absurd the design is.

I finally got mine put back in, but the spring doesn't have the same tension as it did before, so the door handle isn't quite held in as tight as the others, and doesn't retract as much. Which sucks, but it was getting dark and I just had to get the door handle back in (and I wont be opening it up to fix it again).

YES! WARNING! Follow JimiJak's instructions on removing. You do NOT want that spring to fall out of its assmebly. It will take a good 1-2 hours to fix it, and is frustrating as hell. I cant believe how crazy and absurd the design is.

I finally got mine put back in, but the spring doesn't have the same tension as it did before, so the door handle isn't quite held in as tight as the others, and doesn't retract as much. Which sucks, but it was getting dark and I just had to get the door handle back in (and I wont be opening it up to fix it again).

Out of curiosity, why does it appear that you took the whole handle assembly off? Couldn't you have taken off the chrome cover and just wrap around the cover itself?

When I had my handles painted, I just removed the covers off of the handles, then snap them back on to reinstall.

painting has (virtually) no thickness to it, while vinyl wrap adds a mm or so. doesn't seem like much, but sometimes it's difficult to make pieces fit back together properly with that extra mm (especially if it was a tight tolerance already).

also, i didn't notice an easy way to pop the chrome off. the smaller piece was entirely chromed, and the larger part of the handle (if i recall correctly) seemed like the chrome was wrapped around the back and under other pieces. wouldn't that have been more work? idk, maybe the handles are a bit different between years / models?

painting has (virtually) no thickness to it, while vinyl wrap adds a mm or so. doesn't seem like much, but sometimes it's difficult to make pieces fit back together properly with that extra mm (especially if it was a tight tolerance already).

also, i didn't notice an easy way to pop the chrome off. the smaller piece was entirely chromed, and the larger part of the handle (if i recall correctly) seemed like the chrome was wrapped around the back and under other pieces. wouldn't that have been more work? idk, maybe the handles are a bit different between years / models?

Yes, the smaller chrome piece would be removed entirely, by loosening the screw. If the screw was removed entirely, chances are that it would have fallen into the abyss of the door.

For the larger/longer chrome piece, you would pull the handle open and remove the screw. Then with a hooked took such as a paint can lid opener, you can hook the chrome piece, and pull it off. The black handle portion would remain in place. Then you can snap the chrome cover back on, and replace the screw. I think this would save you the hassle of worrying about the spring.

Alrighty...I dropped the T20 screw for the larger chrome handle into the door abyss. Twice.
I did not read this thread entirely, and loosed the screw to much, and it fell. I beat on the door until I heard it fall to the bottom, then I popped off the black plastic bottom drain clips, and there was the screw!

I taped it to the end of my T20 screwdriver upon installation (so I wouldn't drop it) When I carefully removed the screwdriver, after I thought it was in, it DROPPED AGAIN. Darn it. This time it was nowwhere to be found...I even took off the panel a felt around in the door. It just disappeared.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement set screw?!
It's marked as H1 in FordParts.com Door parts

Small easy to do mod..but can make a big difference in looks IMO

12742140_10205856183583768_7499567573162891406_n.jpg

This mod was so worth it.. What was Ford thinking with that chrome??

mod_zpsw9zduicp.jpg
"]
mod_zpsw9zduicp.jpg
[/URL]

So I have decided to get the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-or-Re...ash=item5429b4e5d0:g:W3QAAOSwMNxXUlVZ&vxp=mtr

Have them painted/installed at a local shop. Does anybody know what happens to the driver/passenger push button wiring system?
I haven't seen the button in regards to the wiring side of it. Perhaps they simply disconnect the wires and leave them in the door.
That button/handle is one of the best features in my opinion. It is the way I lock/unlock the vehicle 99% of the time.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll take that feature into consideration before I make a final decision.

I haven't seen the button in regards to the wiring side of it. Perhaps they simply disconnect the wires and leave them in the door.
That button/handle is one of the best features in my opinion. It is the way I lock/unlock the vehicle 99% of the time.

Peter

is it safe???

do you think it is safe to paint like this?? is the paper gets wet then what should we do? don't you think that we could use transparent plastics instead of newspaper??

I know this post is old, but since this thread is being updated, I figured I'd chime in with an answer for you. This should be totally safe. If they were spraying enough paint on to soak the paper, that would be the least of their worries - the paint would form all sorts of drip marks and be a complete wash on the handles. When spraying the correct amount, the paint should become tacky almost instantly and their should be no need to worry about it getting through the paper.

it looks very good.. I will try this out soon..

I took my Ford OEM black plastic door handles off my 14 Sport before trading it in for the 17.

These arent painted chrome or Ebay cheap ones these are from assembly line, OEM Front PEPS, and OEM rears.

If anyone wants to purchase for 1/2 of what they cost on Fordparts.com please PM me.

Thanks for the pic! Would you order the same one again?

I'm trying to decide between the various blacks 3M makes. Here's the codes for all who wanna know:
  • flat (1080-M12)
  • satin (1080-S12)
  • gloss (1080-G12)
  • gloss metallic (1080-G212)
  • carbon fiber (1080-CF12)
  • brushed metallic (1080-BR212)

The metallic seem to match the paint best. The flat comes closest to matching the bumpers (as would plastidipping). The gloss would match the paneling the best.

Then the satin,which is closest to a pure black. And the brushed metallic and carbon fiber just look cool, but I'd probably then want to do other parts of the vehicle to match. :/

this looks great.

Im trying to decide between this metallic or the regular black gloss so that it can match the grille, mirror caps and rear black appliqué. Do you have more pics if this mod from far and different angles?

You might want to visit gatorprints , you can request for a quote plus they have a lot of vinyl wraps with lots of colors to choose from.
Brushed Aluminum BR212

60-3m-1080-brushed-black-metallic-br212

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

People that removed their door handles - any tips? I have read through and searched posts and vids on how to do it but I see conflicting methods. After you loosen the torx screw and remove that little trim piece some instructions say to simply slide the handle towards the back of the car and you will feel it pop and then you can remove it, and others say first pull the handle out like you are opening the door and then slide it back towards the rear of the car to remove it. I don't want to do it wrong and risk that spring popping out that has happened to some people and then have to take off the interior door panel. Anyone have the best way to do it?

Back