Questions pertaining headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions pertaining headlights

JEden8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I know there are a lot of threads regarding headlights but I'm looking for opinions for my situation. I'm about to drive up Michigan from Florida in our 2013 Explorer Limited. It has the halogen projection bulbs and when I drove there last year, the lights were absolutely terrible. I'm looking for opinions on what to do for this trip. We really don't drive the vehicle at night besides for the trip to Michigan so I'm having a hard time looking at dropping $150 into HID conversion kits but at the same time, don't want to spend a ton of money for a bulb that will only last a few months. Just looking for opinions for this situation. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get brighter 9005 halogen bulbs, and get brighter fog bulbs, which can be LED or halogen.

The correct brighter 9005 bulbs will be the same wattage but with whiter light, bulb life average is from 3 year down to 'up to' 1 year as you go from OEM to the brightest. (the brighter the less life)

Sylvania Xtreme bulbs are approx $40 to $60, any Autozone etc will carry them.
However they are maybe 3 x brighter than OEM and although better, not good enough.
The packaging and website will display their bulb models and show increased percentage of output with each step up in bulb model, but I had these, as others on here also, and they only were a bit brighter, not as much as described on the bulb display chart.

There is a post about getting a different halogen bulb with same wattage, an 9011, and trimming the plastic tab tab so it fits in the socket of your lamp.
The light from this bulb in a bright model, is adequate and overall better than the other bright 9005 halogen bulbs you can pick from, either Xtreme or Phillips NightVision or whichever.

Get this bulb in the brightest you desire, trim the tab, and it will be like nite and day compared to the 9005 bulbs. No issues with bulb or wiring or power or anything. Just the plastic tab.
The site referred to on here sells them also, and has a detailed blueprint of the tab trim amount on the bulb for you to use as a guide. Its very clear and easy to see what to do.

The fogs have various options including bright LED bulbs that are way brighter than OEM.
They will light the very front of the car and the sides enough so you notice but not enough to throw beams to the sides or project any further than the very front.
Downside of LEDs is no extra heat - the fog lite 'cup' area can freeze up if lots of ice/snow in winter. Cheap though.
www.diodedynamics.com/fordexplorer/2013

In pitch black or sparse areas of road, the brighter 9005 bulbs are fine, they throw far ahead and one can see on both sides as well.
Its when you are in traffic, in rain/bad weather, or on a hiway with good lighting, that your own headlights get washed out easily.

Just a comment regarding the packaging claims for the Silvania Xtreme(or other "overdriven" bulb), double check the fine print. I think it says something about comparing the extra brightness to an old bulb, not comparing a new 9005 bulb to an "overdriven" 9005 bulb. I don't disagree that they are brighter, but the wording is misleading if you don't read the fine print. Don't take that as a shot a you LukerDooker, I just remember reading the fine print one time at the store.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 2013 Limited come with HID's already? I don't recall adding an extra option when I got mine and mine did come with HIDs

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 2013 Limited come with HID's already? I don't recall adding an extra option when I got mine and mine did come with HIDs
They were optional on Limiteds built for the U.S. market and standard on the Canadian Limiteds.

Peter

I and another member have upgraded our regular halogen bulbs to LED with these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161642725572?nav=SEARCH
LED will last the life of the car and these are very bright and put out a nice white light. They aren't near the price of a HID kit but are better than the stock bulbs. I would recommend them 100%. They are completely plug and play installation however you do need to secure the "ballast" box somewhere near the headlight.

Here is a comparison picture, stock bulb on the left, LED on the right.
temporary_zpsvu5ql8xo.jpg

You can get a HID kit from DDM tuning for about $40 plus shipping.

I know there are a lot of threads regarding headlights but I'm looking for opinions for my situation. I'm about to drive up Michigan from Florida in our 2013 Explorer Limited. It has the halogen projection bulbs and when I drove there last year, the lights were absolutely terrible. I'm looking for opinions on what to do for this trip. We really don't drive the vehicle at night besides for the trip to Michigan so I'm having a hard time looking at dropping $150 into HID conversion kits but at the same time, don't want to spend a ton of money for a bulb that will only last a few months. Just looking for opinions for this situation. Thanks!

Just got done with a trip from Cincinnati to Florida, driving all night on the way down to Disney, and from 11am to 3:30am on the way home. I have to agree with you the stock headlights where crap so way before we left I did some research and replaced my headlights with Philips 9011's. OMG they make a huge difference. You have to clip off a bit of plastic on the top of the bulb before they will fit your stock housing. Now these are not as bright as HID, but easy replacement. I even bought a spare set for the trip (just in case)

http://amzn.com/B00480J5CW

There are several posts on here and on google on how to covert the 9011's to 9005. Easy solution and you won't regret it.

I and another member have upgraded our regular halogen bulbs to LED with these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161642725572?nav=SEARCH
LED will last the life of the car and these are very bright and put out a nice white light. They aren't near the price of a HID kit but are better than the stock bulbs. I would recommend them 100%. They are completely plug and play installation however you do need to secure the "ballast" box somewhere near the headlight.

Here is a comparison picture, stock bulb on the left, LED on the right.
temporary_zpsvu5ql8xo.jpg

Do these shine further than the stock bulbs, I am disappointed in the distance the stock ones project. Did you update the Fogs to be LED too?

Yes they are a combined 9000 lumens (claimed) and those Phillips 9011's (also another good option) are a claimed 4600 lumens combined. They shine further simply because they are brighter. I feel I see road signs illuminated further away plus have a better field of vision. Many are still very skeptical of LED's as headlights but I'm sold on them. I did upgrade the fog lights to LED however I only spent $12 on them and they don't put out as much light as I would like. I'll probably upgrade them to a better quality bulb later.

Yes they are a combined 9000 lumens (claimed) and those Phillips 9011's (also another good option) are a claimed 4600 lumens combined. They shine further simply because they are brighter. I feel I see road signs illuminated further away plus have a better field of vision. Many are still very skeptical of LED's as headlights but I'm sold on them. I did upgrade the fog lights to LED however I only spent $12 on them and they don't put out as much light as I would like. I'll probably upgrade them to a better quality bulb later.
I just installed the Philips 9011s. Easy to modify the tabs with a toe nail clipper. 20 min job for me start to finish and I took my time (refreshing adult beverage, screwing around in the garage, etc.). YMMV. Can't see any difference on the garage door in the daylight, but I'm sure I will at night. As expected, they seem to have identical light / cutoff patterns to the 9005s. Stashed the 9005s in my tool bag that I keep in the Explo. I'll check back in after I take a night drive.

I'll check back in after I take a night drive.
Came into the office at 5:30 this morn. IMHO, noticable improvement with the 9011s over the 9005s. Not HID for sure, but now the headlights are acceptable versus the 9005s which were just downright dangerous. More or less same color temp and light pattern as the 9005s.

Good enough for me. Headlight mod - check. On to the exhaust!

Thanks to everyone for the help! I ended up doing the the 9005 to 9011 swap and it was a night and day difference. Definitely recommend it for someone that doesn't do a lot of night driving or doesn't want to out the money into HIDs. I agree that these definitely Re not HID output but worth the money. Thanks again!

Just to bump this old thread, I installed 9011 bulbs in my Ex last night. I haven't driven it yet, but I noticed that they seem a little brighter on the garage wall and whiter as well. Trimming the tab was really easy. Installation was cake, I don't see why people complain about the driver's side unless you have Shaq hands.

I'll report back when I go for a drive in the dark...likely Monday morning on my way to work.

Just a quick update. After driving in this morning in the dark, I can say that the 9011 bulbs are an improvement over the stock 9005 bulbs. They are brighter and whiter. For less than $40, they are worth it, especially if you drive a lot at night and don't want to go the HID route.

I did the 9011 Philips and they are only marginally better than stock. Anything else out there?

Luker Dooker..
Contact Brandon @502 Performance he can set you up with an HID kit that is amazing.. You will never have any other lights after these.. He did my headlights in HID and my fogs in extreme LEDs.. Same color temp 6000k Icy white with hint of blue

I swapped the stock halogen bulb in my 16 Sport with an LED replacement bulb and I am very happy with the results. The older models 11-15 have the projector lens, but the 2016 uses a reflector for the high-beam. I am not sure if the LED bulb would have the same results through the projector lens.

Back