• Register Today It's free!

exhaust question

Laugh-master

Reaction score
City, State
Alpena, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Thinking about putting a flow master 40 series muffler on my 2002 Explorer xlt, but was wondering what everyone else who had this muffler did, did you keep both cats? Did you buy offset in offset out? 2.25 or 2.5? Any input would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stock piping is 2.25. i'm replacing my muffler this week with a delta 50 series and removing the cat directly before the muffler. center in center out. theres another thread on this a few threads down.

Okay thank you! Good luck on the install.

stock piping is 2.25. i'm replacing my muffler this week with a delta 50 series and removing the cat directly before the muffler. center in center out. theres another thread on this a few threads down.

If you're removing the third cat, you'll need piping closer to 3" that necks down to the 2.25".

Assuming because the second cat is after the primary cats are coupled together

Flowmaster says the delta flow 40 series center in center out 2.25 won't fit but a offset in center out 2.25 original 40 series will fit. What should i be getting?

Flowmaster says the delta flow 40 series center in center out 2.25 won't fit but a offset in center out 2.25 original 40 series will fit. What should i be getting?

Are you doing this yourself or taking it to a muffler shop?

Have you looked underneith at where the muffler is now? Pretty sure there is enough room to put in whatever muffler you want, with any input configuration.

Just got the 40 series offset in center out installed for 40 bucks! Sounds awesome, will it be way louder if i take it the 3rd cat or just a little louder ?

Back