Active Grille Shutters

NewYorkistanSux

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Explorer Sport
Does anybody know which trims of the 2016 Explorer have the active shutter grille? On the Ford ETIS site (FordEtis home page) three of the VINs that I punched in for Sports in my area all show under minor features:
With Standard Grille
Less Active Grille shutter

Does this mean this is a Platinum only feature?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anybody know which trims of the 2016 Explorer have the active shutter grille? On the Ford ETIS site (https://www.etis.ford.com/) three of the VINs that I punched in for Sports in my area all show under minor features:
With Standard Grille
Less Active Grilleshutter

Does this mean this is a Platinum only feature?
Checking the Order Guide and the Ford website, I don't see where active grille shutters are an option on any model. I believe that they may be standard equipment even though the ETIS reports you looked at seem to say differently.
This is from the 2016 Explorer information sheet;
• Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag. At low speeds, the shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain.

Peter

I'd think the active grille shutters would be standard on all trims. Just look inside the grill and you'd see them.

Sounds like a nice feature

I believe they are missing from all Sport models - idea being - you're not buying the sport for fuel ECON and they needed airflow to keep engine/turbo temps calm.

that's a guess on my part but the 2, 2016 sports I saw on the lots around me - have the same notation.

but my XLT seems to have them

I believe they are missing from all Sport models - idea being - you're not buying the sport for fuel ECON and they needed airflow to keep engine/turbo temps calm.

that's a guess on my part but the 2, 2016 sports I saw on the lots around me - have the same notation.

The Platinum has the same engine and sport tuned suspension and I believe it has the active shutters. I think they are on all 2016 models.

Peter

I haven't seen nor looked at a platinum - just a sport

none of the sports have them

my lowly XLT does. as did the Limited I checked out, as did the 2 XLT ecoboosts I checked.

unless the platinum has different mpg rating than the sport I could see the platinum not having them either. you don't buy a platinum for MPG - and they still have to keep the turbo and oil cooler. but again - haven't looked at one in person so take with a grain or 2, lime wedge, and a shot.

May be bringing back an old thread but I just bought myself a base 3.5 and it has the active shutters.

I think its standard on all models. I think it makes the grille look horrible IMO much worse looking front end then the 2011-2015's.

Wish i could have gotten a 2016, i liked everything else about it other then the front end.

shutter grill on 2016

I am about to pick up my 15 sport this weekend. Down sizing from a limited Expy so this will be interesting and take some getting used to. just to many miles and bad mileage on big boy. ARGH.. however .. I decided on a 15 primarily because I HATED the look of the grill on the 16 ( for me anyway) and love the look of the 15 grill... looks a bit menacing so to speak.

I am about to pick up my 15 sport this weekend. Down sizing from a limited Expy so this will be interesting and take some getting used to. just to many miles and bad mileage on big boy. ARGH.. however .. I decided on a 15 primarily because I HATED the look of the grill on the 16 ( for me anyway) and love the look of the 15 grill... looks a bit menacing so to speak.

Exact same reason we got the 15 sport instead of 16....and you will love the sport!

I ended up looking at a platinum 2016 that's in my office parking lot.

no active grill shutters. again I suspect it's due to the larger, more powerful ecoboost 3.5 V6 - and the need for more cooling in general.

I ended up looking at a platinum 2016 that's in my office parking lot.

no active grill shutters. again I suspect it's due to the larger, more powerful ecoboost 3.5 V6 - and the need for more cooling in general.

I would assume the sports and platinum can't have them because of the front mount heat exchanger for the turbos that has to have air flowing through then..although on my 15 sport half of the fmhe is covered up lol..

Hi Guys,
First post...I've been enjoying my new 2017 Explorer Platinum. It's an amazing vehicle but I was surprised to find the active grill shutter was missing after I had read about it being an Explorer feature. After all, I assumed that Platinum meant I had ALL all the options. After reading your helpful posts, and doing a bit of research, I've concluded that the Sport and Platinum trims do not include the Active Grille Shutter due to the larger turbo engine cooling needs. This handy Explorer trim comparison chart from Knox Ford sealed the deal for me. http://www.knoxford.com/ford-explorer-trim-comparisons.htm It clearly shows the Active Grille Shutter System is Standard in only the Base, XLT and Limited Trims. I am at peace with this...I'll take the extra horsepower.

Hi Guys,
First post...I've been enjoying my new 2017 Explorer Platinum. It's an amazing vehicle but I was surprised to find the active grill shutter was missing after I had read about it being an Explorer feature. After all, I assumed that Platinum meant I had ALL all the options. After reading your helpful posts, and doing a bit of research, I've concluded that the Sport and Platinum trims do not include the Active Grille Shutter due to the larger turbo engine cooling needs. This handy Explorer trim comparison chart from Knox Ford sealed the deal for me. http://www.knoxford.com/ford-explorer-trim-comparisons.htm It clearly shows the Active Grille Shutter System is Standard in only the Base, XLT and Limited Trims. I am at peace with this...I'll take the extra horsepower.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Looks like you have it figured out.

Peter

Hi Guys,
To further clarify, the turbos are not large and they are cooled by engine oil via oil cooler lines.
The reason why there's no active shutters, is due to the intercooler requiring sufficient airflow, as it is right behind the grill.

Reading this I went out and looked at my '16 Plat and sure enough, no active grille shutters.
Never having looked that close at the front airflow I was surprised to find that my shiny Platinum grille is solid, the diamond pattern holes are just blacked out, air cannot pass through to the radiator.
All the cooling air is blocked by the grille and forced over the hood or to the slot under it, interesting.

Now I'll have to take special care to get all the smashed bugs out of all the crevices in the back part of the grille. At least less bugs hit the radiator!

Reading this I went out and looked at my '16 Plat and sure enough, no active grille shutters.
Never having looked that close at the front airflow I was surprised to find that my shiny Platinum grille is solid, the diamond pattern holes are just blacked out, air cannot pass through to the radiator.
All the cooling air is blocked by the grille and forced over the hood or to the slot under it, interesting.

Now I'll have to take special care to get all the smashed bugs out of all the crevices in the back part of the grille. At least less bugs hit the radiator!
I noticed the same thing....there are two openings in the front grill, yes just two openings, the rest are solid behind the grill. The two openings seem to supply air to "something" in the engine. Man, I would love to see a schematic on how airflow goes through this engine.

Hi Guys,

That's a handy trim-comparison chart from Knox Ford, but I found an error. The chart indicates that Sport and Platinum trim levels are equipped with "Exhaust system - single, dual exit." This is not true. The 3.5-liter Ecoboost engine used in the Sport and Platinum is equipped with a true dual-exhaust system; it's not single-exhaust as noted in the Knox Ford chart. Look under a Sport or Platinum and you will see two exhaust pipes running the length of the vehicle before they exit the rear.

The normally aspirated V6 and 4-cylinder Ecoboost Explorers are equipped with a single, dual-exit exhaust system, meaning that one exhaust pipe runs the length of the vehicle then splits into two exhaust outlets at the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2016 Limited has them

Back