Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 86 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
You might be on to something here, what's your mileage now? I have noticed with mine the more its driven hard the less it smells (per drive). Meaning if you drive it hard all day it will smell the worst in the beginning. My problem is this isn't my daily driver so it gets driven pretty easy most of the time.

My Sport has 1900 miles on her. The revs got up to about 6200 as I was in "M" mode and shifting in medium traffic. I had the windows up, the A/C on full blast, Recirc On, and drove hard on GA-400 for (2) miles... The only smell was that of a new car...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TSB done, but appears to be performed poorly...

I took my 2013 Explorer to my local dealership in Chattanooga. I had a few issues I was trying to get in before the factory warranty expired. The exhaust smell under acceleration was one of those issues.

Every time I taken my car in for regular oil changes, I complain to the service person about the smell. Every time I get "we have never heard of that before"... So this time I was armed with a copy of the TSB and a copy of the suit in FL.

The first time he called, the service person clearly stated that they could not reproduce the smell upon acceleration and they would not perform the TSB, based on my experience or reports of the smell, and they needed to keep the car to fix another door handle recall.

A few days later, the service person calls back to say he needs the car for another day, as the tech currently has the rear bumper off. I ask why do you have my rear bumper off to replace a door handle. "Oh there is a TSB out for your car, to prevent exhaust odor in the car under acceleration" DUH, you mean the one I printed and handed to you...

Anyway, I get my car home and take a look under the rear and it looks like a two year old was under the vehicle with the yellow expanding foam stuff...

Take a look at these pictures. Surely this is not an professional fix. Should I return it and complain? Is this what the fix looked like for others?

The TSB calls for TA-2 Motorcraft Seal Sealer, which is a urethane like caulk, not expanding foam. I assume maybe they have freedom to substitute materials, but I don't think this stuff will hold up. They also didn't bather to clean the area at all before applying. There is also no rubberized coating used. There is a gob of foam on the bumper, indicating this was done while the bumper was on. Did they even take the bumper off? They did replace one tailgate weep hole drain, the other is missing...

Thanks for your feedback and replies about how your dealer addressed the TSB.

20150617_213026_zpshgiepyxh.jpg

20150617_212921_zpsh0w0iois.jpg

Note the GOB of foam on the bumper, indicating this was performed while the bumper was on!

20150617_212942_zpsvr48h2hu.jpg

Sealant does not appear to continuous:
20150617_212935_zps90g8iwvg.jpg

20150617_213052_zpsoa4e4m6q.jpg

Good new weep hole drain on left side:
20150617_213214_zpsvcbekrf1.jpg

Missing weep hole drain on right side:
20150617_213222_zpszyxlbjpz.jpg

That looks terrible, what is the significance of the weep holes in relation to the smell? I noticed I have one bare hole and one with a little rubber flapper that feels like it will come off at any moment. I would take it back, I have to look underneath mine to see what they used.

I haven't had the need to get the TSB done, but man... that work does not look professional in the slightest bit--even if it gets the job done. And you're right, that material does not look like the right sealer.

I've had some experience with some foam sealers, and it kinda troubles me when you mentioned that this appears to be an expanding yellow foam. I've used a brand of expanding foam on an unrelated project (can't remember the brand name), and the stuff is FLAMMABLE.

So, I would advise tearing or cutting a piece off and try burning it with a match or lighter. If it does combust easily or appear flammable, take note of where this stuff is. If it is near other parts, aside from the hot exhaust, you could be facing a dangerous situation.

That looks terrible, what is the significance of the weep holes in relation to the smell? I noticed I have one bare hole and one with a little rubber flapper that feels like it will come off at any moment. I would take it back, I have to look underneath mine to see what they used.
The weep drain on the lift gate are part of the TSB. I assume they are concerned with exhaust gases flowing into them, then into the cabin... Seems far fetched to me as well. It was more to point out the TSB calls for both left and right weep drains to be replaced and they left one off.

I have 2 dealers in my area. Should I return to the dealer who performed the repair one or try the other?

JeffreyCowart... man, that is the worst "seal job" I've ever seen; and I've seen kids use that stuff on tree forts for water sealant... Get a hold of one of the Ford Reps here and forward a link to those pics. Techs indiscriminately sprayed "sealant" randomly and it certainly isn't continuous. They left that crap on your tail pipe too it appears? A 7 year old could have done better than that. I'm sorry that happened to your Exp bro! Be sure and watch them when they have to cut that crap off of where they sprayed it to be sure they don't cut important stuff too; you know, like brake & fuel lines... Please out the "Dealer" that allowed that work to be performed!

The weep drain on the lift gate are part of the TSB. I assume they are concerned with exhaust gases flowing into them, then into the cabin... Seems far fetched to me as well. It was more to point out the TSB calls for both left and right weep drains to be replaced and they left one off.

I have 2 dealers in my area. Should I return to the incompetent one or try the other?

To complain or inquire about this you should go to the dealer that did it, another may shy away from your car since its already been worked on, many similair situations on this board about going to another dealer but had work done at a prior dealer.
From this it looks like they tried to do quick hack job but may have billed Ford the max time for the TSB/warranty.

Did you review the repair order to see what they said they actually did?
It is also what Ford will see for the warranty fix paid to the shop.

The TSB on this is posted on here right from the Ford tech pages with pics, and this is not anything like what the repair should be.

Do check a bit of that foam as another suggested, it looks like what I sprayed into the crack of my basement door...

Returned to dealership after poorly performed TSB.

Update: I returned my Explorer to Mountain View Ford, in Chattanooga, TN. The service rep said they completed TSB 14-0130 on my vehicle. I presented him with a copy of the TSB and the pictures I took underneath the car. He agreed it looked like a poor job, but there was nothing he could do. The service manager was out on vacation until Monday and that is who I should talk to.

I inquired as to why expanding foam was used, why the foam was everywhere, and why only the drivers side of the vehicle got "sealed". I explained per the TSB TA-2 seam sealer should be used, then 3M rubberized coating on top of that. In addition, it calls for both drivers, passenger and rear sheet metal overlap flange across the rear of the vehicle be sealed.

He went and spoke to the 30+ year service tech who performed my repair.
Tech's response: "TA-2 Seam sealer is a special order product that Ford does not allow them to stock and they are free to substitute the expanding foam in its place. The expanding foam is really tough to work with and it drips when applied, it looked a lot worse and they cleaned it as best possible. And the TSB only called for the drivers side to be sealed"

The copy of the TSB i have http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics.com/12573/exhaust-odor-in-the-vehicle-2011-2015-ford-explorer, clearly states both sides and middle seam should be sealed. I cannot argue as to how much freedom Ford gives them to substitute materials, but regardless this was a very poor attempt at the TSB and they did not follow the instructions.

Hopefully, I will have some luck when the service manager returns from vacation. I will update next week.

I took my 2013 Explorer to my local dealership in Chattanooga. I had a few issues I was trying to get in before the factory warranty expired. The exhaust smell under acceleration was one of those issues.

Every time I taken my car in for regular oil changes, I complain to the service person about the smell. Every time I get "we have never heard of that before"... So this time I was armed with a copy of the TSB and a copy of the suit in FL.

The first time he called, the service person clearly stated that they could not reproduce the smell upon acceleration and they would not perform the TSB, based on my experience or reports of the smell, and they needed to keep the car to fix another door handle recall.

A few days later, the service person calls back to say he needs the car for another day, as the tech currently has the rear bumper off. I ask why do you have my rear bumper off to replace a door handle. "Oh there is a TSB out for your car, to prevent exhaust odor in the car under acceleration" DUH, you mean the one I printed and handed to you...

Anyway, I get my car home and take a look under the rear and it looks like a two year old was under the vehicle with the yellow expanding foam stuff...

Take a look at these pictures. Surely this is not an professional fix. Should I return it and complain? Is this what the fix looked like for others?

The TSB calls for TA-2 Motorcraft Seal Sealer, which is a urethane like caulk, not expanding foam. I assume maybe they have freedom to substitute materials, but I don't think this stuff will hold up. They also didn't bather to clean the area at all before applying. There is also no rubberized coating used. There is a gob of foam on the bumper, indicating this was done while the bumper was on. Did they even take the bumper off? They did replace one tailgate weep hole drain, the other is missing...

Thanks for your feedback and replies about how your dealer addressed the TSB.

20150617_213026_zpshgiepyxh.jpg

20150617_212921_zpsh0w0iois.jpg

Note the GOB of foam on the bumper, indicating this was performed while the bumper was on!

20150617_212942_zpsvr48h2hu.jpg

Sealant does not appear to continuous:
20150617_212935_zps90g8iwvg.jpg

20150617_213052_zpsoa4e4m6q.jpg

Good new weep hole drain on left side:
20150617_213214_zpsvcbekrf1.jpg

Missing weep hole drain on right side:
20150617_213222_zpszyxlbjpz.jpg

Hey guys - still have the burnt/bad exhaust smell coming from my car. I've been noticing it after stopping the cat the last 3 days, though.

After traveling 120 miles to CT last night, about 20 minutes before getting there I noticed that there was condensation on my rear lift gate window. I tried using the washer and washer fluid to get it off, but it wouldn't come off. My rear view camera was covered in something too. It drove fine, though.

I parked the car and had to move it this morning. That's when I noticed the whole lift gate (window, glass, paint, license plate, etc) was covered in a greasy black sludge (petroleum byproduct?). The bumper is also covered in the same material.

Also after I moved my car over 10 feet in the driveway, there are 20-30 drops of some fluid on the driveway. I'm not sure what it is, but it is a brown-ish color.

I'm not sure if this is related to the acceleration smell (which I have been smelling), but I am concerned since I'm 120 miles from home. I'm taking it to get looked at a Ford dealership up here in Hartford.

I'll follow-up with pics and updates later!

Hey guys - still have the burnt/bad exhaust smell coming from my car. I've been noticing it after stopping the cat the last 3 days, though.

After traveling 120 miles to CT last night, about 20 minutes before getting there I noticed that there was condensation on my rear lift gate window. I tried using the washer and washer fluid to get it off, but it wouldn't come off. My rear view camera was covered in something too. It drove fine, though.

I parked the car and had to move it this morning. That's when I noticed the whole lift gate (window, glass, paint, license plate, etc) was covered in a greasy black sludge (petroleum byproduct?). The bumper is also covered in the same material.

Also after I moved my car over 10 feet in the driveway, there are 20-30 drops of some fluid on the driveway. I'm not sure what it is, but it is a brown-ish color.

I'm not sure if this is related to the acceleration smell (which I have been smelling), but I am concerned since I'm 120 miles from home. I'm taking it to get looked at a Ford dealership up here in Hartford.

I'll follow-up with pics and updates later!
Could be the PTU seal has gone. It might also be advisable to check your transmission fluid level to be on the safe side. Note that there is no dipstick.

Peter

So i had this issue on hard accel (14 sport)....today i loaded my 93 tune..and i did MANY fast high RPM starts and goes...didn't happen once

So i had this issue on hard accel (14 sport)....today i loaded my 93 tune..and i did MANY fast high RPM starts and goes...didn't happen once

I was going to post in the tuned forum and ask this question. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Maybe the truck runs overly rich stock.

I was going to post in the tuned forum and ask this question. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Maybe the truck runs overly rich stock.

ya IDK...i mean it is only day 1...give me a week of driving and i will know 100% if it's gone or not

ya IDK...i mean it is only day 1...give me a week of driving and i will know 100% if it's gone or not
I hear you, It's starting to all add up though. From what I have observed if your just driving the car normally for a bit then get on it it will stink like hell. If your beating the hell out of it it will smell initially but then the smell is reduced the more you drive it hard. Then hamhands says his smell is gone after beating on it for 2 weeks. Perhaps the ECU has adapted to his new driving style and changed the table to a more aggressive mapping. Your smell is likely gone because your obviously on a different tune, different fuel curve etc.

I hear you, It's starting to all add up though. From what I have observed if your just driving the car normally for a bit then get on it it will stink like hell. If your beating the hell out of it it will smell initially but then the smell is reduced the more you drive it hard. Then hamhands says his smell is gone after beating on it for 2 weeks. Perhaps the ECU has adapted to his new driving style and changed the table to a more aggressive mapping. Your smell is likely gone because your obviously on a different tune, different fuel curve etc.

Hahaha! I don't know if I'd say I've beat the hell out of her; but I certainly haven't been babying my Sport. I think half the issue lies with the muffler packing material and the other half the fuel to air mixture tune set-up from the factory. I've got 2K+ miles on my Sport and I've successfully ran the stink out of her; so to speak... Run it hot and hard to burn that packing material out of the mufflers coupled with the computer learning my spirited driving needs and the smell is magically gone. This is a sample of (1) I realize but it's worked for me. I think PUP is on to something with the Livernois 93 tune correcting the fuel/air mixture to a leaner burn fixing the problem that way too.

Hahaha! I don't know if I'd say I've beat the hell out of her; but I certainly haven't been babying my Sport. I think half the issue lies with the muffler packing material and the other half the fuel to air mixture tune set-up from the factory. I've got 2K+ miles on my Sport and I've successfully ran the stink out of her; so to speak... Run it hot and hard to burn that packing material out of the mufflers coupled with the computer learning my spirited driving needs and the smell is magically gone. This is a sample of (1) I realize but it's worked for me. I think PUP is on to something with the Livernois 93 tune correcting the fuel/air mixture to a leaner burn fixing the problem that way too.

Yeah I agree, haha, I didn't mean you beating the hell out of it specifically, more of a general statement. My explorer has 6k miles, its my wife's daily driver and gets 15 miles driven a day roughly, mostly city. Once and a while she will get on it but most of the time it's driven lightly. Then I get in it and the smell begins.

Am I right in assuming that none of the 2016 owners are experiencing this smell issue yet? Maybe too early to tell?

Drove it again today..maybe only 15 miles..some pretty head accels up to 5 K..not 1 smell...day 2 of nothing since tune..will keep updated

I am one of the ones early on in the thread that tried darn near everything to fix this smell. It assumed me for about 6-8 months. I even tested the air quality. I've had the TSB that all you are getting multiple times....fail. I have also ran the truck hard to witness the smell go away for about a week until it comes back with a vengeance. Keep in mind that even though you may not SMELL the exhaust, it is still entering the truck. By running it hard you are heating up the cats and burning off any unburnt fuel, residue, etc that is causing the strong odor. That will eventually build right back up, unless you continue to heat up your cats on a regular basis, but I am a betting man that odorless exhaust is still entering the cabin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am one of the ones early on in the thread that tried darn near everything to fix this smell. It assumed me for about 6-8 months. I even tested the air quality. I've had the TSB that all you are getting multiple times....fail. I have also ran the truck hard to witness the smell go away for about a week until it comes back with a vengeance. Keep in mind that even though you may not SMELL the exhaust, it is still entering the truck. By running it hard you are heating up the cats and burning off any unburnt fuel, residue, etc that is causing the strong odor. That will eventually build right back up, unless you continue to heat up your cats on a regular basis, but I am a betting man that odorless exhaust is still entering the cabin.

What did your air quality test reveal?

Back