• Register Today It's free!

CPO Question

MCnoHammer

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I apologize in advance if this has been answered before, however I am unable to find the answer in the search on the forum.

Can a CPO vehicle be a previously commercial vehicle with 3 previous owners?

I spoke with 3 separate Ford dealers and they all said no, they wouldn't certify either a commercial vehicle or one with 3 previous owners.

Unfortunately, the CPO I purchased was from none of those dealers and it was previously used as a commercial vehicle and has 3 previous owners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see why not. I see former rental and corporate fleet vehicles that have been CPO for sale all the time. I don't see why commercial would be any different. In fact, sometimes maybe that's the only way dealers can sell these types of units. Care to share why you are asking?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before, however I am unable to find the answer in the search on the forum.

Can a CPO vehicle be a previously commercial vehicle with 3 previous owners?

I spoke with 3 separate Ford dealers and they all said no, they wouldn't certify either a commercial vehicle or one with 3 previous owners.

Unfortunately, the CPO I purchased was from none of those dealers and it was previously used as a commercial vehicle and has 3 previous owners.

Looking at the CPO brochure, the only qualification I can see that it mentions is the following;
Ford cars, SUVs, crossovers and trucks (up to 350-Series) that are current or five previous model years and have less than 80,000 miles can qualify.
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_program_brochure.pdf

Peter

I don't see why not. I see former rental and corporate fleet vehicles that have been CPO for sale all the time. I don't see why commercial would be any different. In fact, sometimes maybe that's the only way dealers can sell these types of units. Care to share why you are asking?

I've had a nightmare of a time with my 2011 CPO Limited Explorer, I've owned it 42 days and it has been in the shop 24 of those days. All sorts of stupid issues that should have been fixed before the thing was even certified and sold, like wheel bearings (3 of the 4 wheels now), A pillar noise, rust on hood, tires fraying at the wear indicators, 110v outlet missing with exposed metal prongs delivering 110v still (shock hazard bigtime for kids in the rear seat), rear brakes sticking on, sunroof shade won't close all the way, radio reception was non existent due to faulty antenna wire, brake lights looked like cop car lights and flashed constantly, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, but I'm beginning to forget about all the issues I'm having. It's almost easier to say what is working well (Engine is fine, transmission seems great, I'm averaging 23MPG which is lovely).
I ran a carfax on it just to see what's up and found it had 3 previous owners, the first one commercial for 3 years. I was led to believe by the sales guy that CPO Fords are 1 owner no accident vehicles, but after calling around to a couple of other dealerships I've been getting mixed information. The most recent thing I've heard is that Ford only looks at mileage and age of the vehicle, no matter how many owners or accidents.

After over 2 weeks in the shop I respectfully requested they sell me a different car or give me a refund, and I was immediately dismissed and was never given the time of day again by my dealership. They started refusing to take my calls, stopped responding to emails asking if the vehicle would be fixed, etc. I spent a great deal of time on the phone with Paul at Ford Corporate after Crystal on here got me in touch with him. He was helpful in lighting a fire under the service guys but at this point I don't need service, I need a quality vehicle like the one I was "sold" by the sales guy, not what I actually received.

I have 52,000 miles on it and I have the CPO warranty until 63,000 and extended warranty until 125,000, but I'm not sure it will last that long at this rate. And I can't be without my vehicle 2.5 weeks of every month while I own the thing. The dealer keeps reminding me that everything is covered and they will fix everything, but that is beside the point. None of these things should have happened in the first place, they should have never sold this vehicle.

Ford Corporate threw in free of charge the 45,000 maintenance plan, but if they never did any of the maintenance or re-conditioning items before the certified the thing, why would I believe they'd take care of the thing now?
The dealer also put new tires on it now, to try to keep me from suing them most likely. I'm just at the end of my rope and wanted to see what's what on the CPO process and if they certified my commercial vehicle when they shouldn't, but it sounds like they only look at miles and age.

I guess I've learned to never buy a used car in the rain so you can hear noises and see paint issues, that's for sure. I'll also never buy a used car without several test drives in different types of weather. I'll also never visit this dealership ever again and will preach it from high atop the mountains to avoid them like the plague. Paul at Corporate basically is powerless at this point, and when I mentioned contacting my lawyer he said I'd be completely within my rights to do that and it's totally a dealership issue at this point. I just don't want to waste thousands of dollars and months of time to fix something that A) Should have never happened (on either end, I should have never purchased the thing and they should have never sold it like this), and B) could be easily resolved by giving me a different certified (actually certified) Explorer (not commercial etc.)

Buyer beware, and don't believe the dealer has your interest or well-being in mind at all. A "CPO" vehicle means they ticked some boxes on a piece of paper and put the letters CPO in front of the listing. I fell for it.

I've had a nightmare of a time with my 2011 CPO Limited Explorer, I've owned it 42 days and it has been in the shop 24 of those days. All sorts of stupid issues that should have been fixed before the thing was even certified and sold, like wheel bearings (3 of the 4 wheels now), A pillar noise, rust on hood, tires fraying at the wear indicators, 110v outlet missing with exposed metal prongs delivering 110v still (shock hazard bigtime for kids in the rear seat), rear brakes sticking on, sunroof shade won't close all the way, radio reception was non existent due to faulty antenna wire, brake lights looked like cop car lights and flashed constantly, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, but I'm beginning to forget about all the issues I'm having. It's almost easier to say what is working well (Engine is fine, transmission seems great, I'm averaging 23MPG which is lovely).
I ran a carfax on it just to see what's up and found it had 3 previous owners, the first one commercial for 3 years. I was led to believe by the sales guy that CPO Fords are 1 owner no accident vehicles, but after calling around to a couple of other dealerships I've been getting mixed information. The most recent thing I've heard is that Ford only looks at mileage and age of the vehicle, no matter how many owners or accidents.

After over 2 weeks in the shop I respectfully requested they sell me a different car or give me a refund, and I was immediately dismissed and was never given the time of day again by my dealership. They started refusing to take my calls, stopped responding to emails asking if the vehicle would be fixed, etc. I spent a great deal of time on the phone with Paul at Ford Corporate after Crystal on here got me in touch with him. He was helpful in lighting a fire under the service guys but at this point I don't need service, I need a quality vehicle like the one I was "sold" by the sales guy, not what I actually received.

I have 52,000 miles on it and I have the CPO warranty until 63,000 and extended warranty until 125,000, but I'm not sure it will last that long at this rate. And I can't be without my vehicle 2.5 weeks of every month while I own the thing. The dealer keeps reminding me that everything is covered and they will fix everything, but that is beside the point. None of these things should have happened in the first place, they should have never sold this vehicle.

Ford Corporate threw in free of charge the 45,000 maintenance plan, but if they never did any of the maintenance or re-conditioning items before the certified the thing, why would I believe they'd take care of the thing now?
The dealer also put new tires on it now, to try to keep me from suing them most likely. I'm just at the end of my rope and wanted to see what's what on the CPO process and if they certified my commercial vehicle when they shouldn't, but it sounds like they only look at miles and age.

I guess I've learned to never buy a used car in the rain so you can hear noises and see paint issues, that's for sure. I'll also never buy a used car without several test drives in different types of weather. I'll also never visit this dealership ever again and will preach it from high atop the mountains to avoid them like the plague. Paul at Corporate basically is powerless at this point, and when I mentioned contacting my lawyer he said I'd be completely within my rights to do that and it's totally a dealership issue at this point. I just don't want to waste thousands of dollars and months of time to fix something that A) Should have never happened (on either end, I should have never purchased the thing and they should have never sold it like this), and B) could be easily resolved by giving me a different certified (actually certified) Explorer (not commercial etc.)

Buyer beware, and don't believe the dealer has your interest or well-being in mind at all. A "CPO" vehicle means they ticked some boxes on a piece of paper and put the letters CPO in front of the listing. I fell for it.

I smell troll post.

If it had so many problems, why did you buy it?

Tires fraying at the wear indicators, replace them, problem solved. If they were fraying when you bought it, again, why did you buy it without fixing?

You must have one of those special aluminum hoods that rust.

Yes commercial vehicles can be certified pre-owned. My Explorer was technically a "commercial" car and it was a CPO. The previous owner licensed it as commercial for a tax write off. Happens all the time.

Have they been covering the $100 CPO "co pay"?

I smell troll post.

If it had so many problems, why did you buy it?

Tires fraying at the wear indicators, replace them, problem solved. If they were fraying when you bought it, again, why did you buy it without fixing?

You must have one of those special aluminum hoods that rust.

I do indeed smell a troll. These posts are ridiculous. Nobody in their right mind would buy a car without trying it out and as obvious as these "issues" would be, nobody would buy it.

I do indeed smell a troll. These posts are ridiculous. Nobody in their right mind would buy a car without trying it out and as obvious as these "issues" would be, nobody would buy it.

I truly wish I was just trolling, and I didn't feel like such a moron, but alas I did indeed purchase it like this. I test drove it for about 45 minutes in the rain so the vibrations etc. were not felt to their true effect until day 3-4 of ownership.

The dealer has replaced the tires, and after much bickering I have paid nothing out of pocket after being refunded a couple of $100 deductibles.

They also have offered to paint the hood, but in reading other posts on here it seems the aluminum hood just needs to be replaced or the bubbles will return in a year or so.

IMO, all CPO means is you're paying extra for an extended warranty. You'll get good and bad CPO units just as you would with non-CPO.

It would seem I definitely got a bad one.

It rained today moderately badly for the first time since owning the vehicle. Rain was streaming out of the center ceiling instrument panel by the lights. I took a picture of the dripping when stopped and also the amount of water that saturated my entire sun/moonroof shade and headliner. When I would turn left or right the excess water in the ceiling would start spewing out of the overhead lights to the opposite direction of the turn, ending up on either of the front passengers and the entire center console and audio system.

tX6srffm.jpg

j1Chkzgl.jpg

Clearly I'm not just trolling. I have purchased the worst used vehicle ever.

I feel your pain. I actually loose a lot of sleep over my problems with my CPO 2011 EXP Limited. I happen to have the same mileage. I have spent a lot of time reading a lot of these post, its how I learn about this truck. My power assist for my steering failed, shift to park failed, roof rattles, climate inop. on drivers side, both power ports in center consol inop. windshield trim broken, front bumper under right head light popping out, front windows shutter, needed new brakes all around @ 50K, PSU seals replaced, and the remote start is shaky when its cold out. My dealer has fixed most but what a head ache. Most should of been fixed pre-sale or during CPO certification. I told them its understandable that everyone is human and maybe some of these things should of been caught and were just missed during CPO inspection. They have tried. I don't troll these forums. I don't complain about nothing just to here my self. If my car has a problem, the dealer is going to hear about it and you should do the same! Its not going to fix its self. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil. My CPO check list didn't even have the individual boxes checked, they just drew a straight line down all the "OK" boxes at once. And there were no check marks at all for some of the special features like the function of the park assist. If you bought the worst car ever, I bought the second worst. Makes one feel sick about a $47,000 vehicle.

For anyone still interested, after the sunroof leaking and clunking in the suspension, they are replacing both sun and moon roof, sun shade, motor for both sunroof and sun shade, front shocks and struts, rear rotors pads and calipers, and painting the hood for the rust bubbles. I do not want it back as it will never ever be the same after all these issues.

They are admitting they should have never sold this vehicle and they are giving me another vehicle. I'll probably end up in a new F150 (they have awesome deals on 2014s) and never return to this dealer again.

Well, if they are "admitting" that this shouldn't have been sold, it sounds like the dealer is really trying to help you and maybe they deserve another return IF they give you a heck of a deal on that F150.

Well, if they are "admitting" that this shouldn't have been sold, it sounds like the dealer is really trying to help you and maybe they deserve another return IF they give you a heck of a deal on that F150.

It's been over 2 months of arguing and weeping and gnashing of teeth over there, I'm not going back after I get a different vehicle. Had they made an effort to show the slightest resemblance of customer service say around 1 month, I might consider continuing to visit their dealership. I drove past 2 other dealers to go to them considering the wonderful reviews online, but those reviews were totally wrong.
Heading back tonight to finalize the deal, and I am just waiting for them to change everything and find yet another way to totally hose me. We shall see.

and never return to this dealer again.

My understanding is that a CPO vehicle is similar to a new vehicle, such that the warranty is good at any Ford dealership. If you decide to keep the vehicle, you may want to try another dealership's service dept.

Earlier this year, my son bought a CPO Buick. Before being certified, the dealer had to replace a bent wheel, & 2 tires, among other things to meet GM's CPO standards. Our attitude was that although we didn't know a lot of specifics about the vehicle history, at least the car had a good warranty.

My understanding is that a CPO vehicle is similar to a new vehicle, such that the warranty is good at any Ford dealership. If you decide to keep the vehicle, you may want to try another dealership's service dept.

Earlier this year, my son bought a CPO Buick. Before being certified, the dealer had to replace a bent wheel, & 2 tires, among other things to meet GM's CPO standards. Our attitude was that although we didn't know a lot of specifics about the vehicle history, at least the car had a good warranty.

That was my original understanding as well, that this vehicle had undergone the inspections and repairs needed to certify the vehicle and it met every specification and was like a new vehicle. It quickly became obvious that they took the vehicle off the delivery truck and ran it through the wash bay and parked it on the lot.

Back