Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Very, very nice looking Limited. What do you think of that I4 engine?

Peter

Not quite sure yet... It certainly is powerful enough for my use but so far I can't get the MPG above 16 in rural city driving... My old v6 did better than that.

I know it's supposed to get better over time.

I have some longer distance driving on the schedule this week so I'll keep you posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still the ugly chrome trim. Hate the grill, hope it looks better in grey.

Take a look guys! It has finally happened!!! 10-speed tranny in F-150 Raptor and second gen 3.5 Ecoboost, I wish it would be 5.0 Ecoboost though!
http://blog.ford.ca/2015/01/12/meet-2017-f-150-raptor/
I guess it comes to the market around fall of 2016

"The 2017 Raptor will come with a second-generation 3.5 litre EcoBoost® engine that combines fuel efficiency with incredible power. For the first time, the truck will feature a 10-speed automatic transmission that gives drivers more control over speed and power than ever before. Off-road performance also gets better with more suspension travel, larger FOX Shox* and a new terrain mode. All the mud, dirt, gravel, desert terrain and roads won’t know what hit them."

Take a look guys! It has finally happened!!! 10-speed tranny in F-150 Raptor and second gen 3.5 Ecoboost, I wish it would be 5.0 Ecoboost though!
http://blog.ford.ca/2015/01/12/meet-2017-f-150-raptor/
I guess it comes to the market around fall of 2016

"The 2017 Raptor will come with a second-generation 3.5 litre EcoBoost® engine that combines fuel efficiency with incredible power. For the first time, the truck will feature a 10-speed automatic transmission that gives drivers more control over speed and power than ever before. Off-road performance also gets better with more suspension travel, larger FOX Shox* and a new terrain mode. All the mud, dirt, gravel, desert terrain and roads won’t know what hit them."

This is old news, it was announced a few months back... the 17Superduty will have the 10 speed as well and I believe the expedition, navigator and standard F150 will be getting it too.

Not sure what this has to do with the explorer though..

This is old news, it was announced a few months back... the 17Superduty will have the 10 speed as well and I believe the expedition, navigator and standard F150 will be getting it too.

Not sure what this has to do with the explorer though..

It has everything to do with Ex since it should have 10-speed in next couple of years

It has everything to do with Ex since it should have 10-speed in next couple of years

So based on your speculation that the Explorer is getting a 10 speed despite there being nothing posted or mentioned in articles about it getting a 10 speed, it has everything to do with the Explorer???

This is an article based on the Raptor and Raptor only. There is nothing in regards to the Explorer in that article..

:scratch:

So based on your speculation that the Explorer is getting a 10 speed despite there being nothing posted or mentioned in articles about it getting a 10 speed, it has everything to do with the Explorer???

This is an article based on the Raptor and Raptor only. There is nothing in regards to the Explorer in that article..:

I just mentioned before that I would rather wait for Explorer to get new transmission. I'm not saying it would come tomorrow, but it should come soon, next few years, it might be even next generation, who knows...
Keeping in mind that Ford currently employs different variations of 6R and 6F transmissions I 'm pretty sure 10R and 9F is going to replace them in near future (my opinion is that Ford long overdue with new tranny).

Update,
Internet source:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/exclusive-inside-look-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/
"General Motors has officially partnered up with Ford to use this design in the future (its about 10R tranny). Ford appears to be leading this design effort, and in return GM appears to be leading the design effort for the 9 speed FWD transmissions."

Another source says that Escape and Explorer will get 9-speed:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-to-get-a-10-speed-gearbox-ar165019.html#main
"Slightly updated for 2015, the fifth-generation Explorer will receive its mid-cycle refresh for 2016, with revisions will include new front and rear fascias. A completely new iteration is due in 2017 for the 2018 model year. Like most Fords, the Explorer too will receive the company’s nine-speed automatic transmission."

I
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-to-get-a-10-speed-gearbox-ar165019.html#main
"Slightly updated for 2015, the fifth-generation Explorer will receive its mid-cycle refresh for 2016, with revisions will include new front and rear fascias. A completely new iteration is due in 2017 for the 2018 model year. Like most Fords, the Explorer too will receive the company’s nine-speed automatic transmission."

If that's true, I really need to hurry and get my 2016 Explorer. After the experience I've had with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee and the ZF nine speed transmission, I don't want anything to do with a nine speed in an Explorer. Manufacturers are all starting to use 8,9, and 10 speed transmissions for CAFE standards. My nine speed has just been a pain in the you know what. And some Cherokee owners are having real transmission problems on new vehicles. I guess its the future though, but I would not buy an Explorer with a nine speed transmission.

Anything as complex as a transmission could be a real headache in the first year of production. Waiting till at least 17 or 18 might be a good bet if you don't want the 6 speed.

The whole GM/Ford 9/10 speed transmission partnership fizzled out to basically nothing. Despite the original publishings of them working together, it didn't really go anywhere so don't count on Ford using a 9 speed from GM.

If that's true, I really need to hurry and get my 2016 Explorer. After the experience I've had with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee and the ZF nine speed transmission, I don't want anything to do with a nine speed in an Explorer. Manufacturers are all starting to use 8,9, and 10 speed transmissions for CAFE standards. My nine speed has just been a pain in the you know what. And some Cherokee owners are having real transmission problems on new vehicles. I guess its the future though, but I would not buy an Explorer with a nine speed transmission.

I can tell you that the 10 speed is an incredible transmission and shifts very well. This is directly from a contact I know personally who tests them on the 17 Superdutys that are going to be released next April.

I wouldn't have any fear of the 10 speed Ford developed for the Explorer or any other vehicle however I still don't see them putting one in the Explorer.

I just mentioned before that I would rather wait for Explorer to get new transmission. I'm not saying it would come tomorrow, but it should come soon, next few years, it might be even next generation, who knows...
Keeping in mind that Ford currently employs different variations of 6R and 6F transmissions I 'm pretty sure 10R and 9F is going to replace them in near future (my opinion is that Ford long overdue with new tranny).

Update,
Internet source:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/exclusive-inside-look-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/
"General Motors has officially partnered up with Ford to use this design in the future (its about 10R tranny). Ford appears to be leading this design effort, and in return GM appears to be leading the design effort for the 9 speed FWD transmissions."

I don't buy what any of the magazines say... do you really think that they know Ford's plans 2 years in advance? The 2nd source (top speed) states that the SD might follow the F150 (it is going aluminum).. it says that the SD will be out in February of 2016 (will be released at the end of April - I know the date but can't post).. says the F150 may get a diesel engine (not happening anytime soon), 10 speed developed with GM (didn't actually happen with GM).. most of everything they stated is them just guessing or reaching.

Not trying to sound like a jerk but I believe very little what magazines say regarding future products unless it is quoted by the manufacturer. They like to write about anything that will grab attention and clicks on to their page. Everything there says "might", "likely', "could" etc which basically means they have no idea.

Not quite sure yet... It certainly is powerful enough for my use but so far I can't get the MPG above 16 in rural city driving... My old v6 did better than that.

I know it's supposed to get better over time.

I have some longer distance driving on the schedule this week so I'll keep you posted.
The problem with the 4 is just like before, though the 2.0 was worse. These are still small engines that get into boost almost immediately, when your pushing that much weight = them always in boost sucking fuel. Hence why in the real world the 2.0 Explorer didn't get near its ratings and you were super lucky if you got around the V6 mpg while being much slower. Pointless engines in this suv, they should make the 2.7 Eco an option between the n/a V6 and 3.5 Eco. I knew four 2.0 Explorer owners and all were pissed about the mileage even on highway trips. Plus it felt completely lethargic with a couple people aboard.

Now the same engine in my wife's Fusion rocks, good on gas and effortlessly quick. And same for her co-workers Escape Eco, but the Explorer is a fat pig, that's a lot of weight for a small engine.

Dropped her off at the dealership this morning....

Lane keeping assist not working at all, never did from the start.

The problem with the 4 is just like before, though the 2.0 was worse. These are still small engines that get into boost almost immediately, when your pushing that much weight = them always in boost sucking fuel. Hence why in the real world the 2.0 Explorer didn't get near its ratings and you were super lucky if you got around the V6 mpg while being much slower. Pointless engines in this suv, they should make the 2.7 Eco an option between the n/a V6 and 3.5 Eco. I knew four 2.0 Explorer owners and all were pissed about the mileage even on highway trips. Plus it felt completely lethargic with a couple people aboard.

Now the same engine in my wife's Fusion rocks, good on gas and effortlessly quick. And same for her co-workers Escape Eco, but the Explorer is a fat pig, that's a lot of weight for a small engine.

That is why I disappointed with Ford, they should've put 2.7EB into Explorer for sure, not a 2.3, its way too small for a big SUV

That is why I disappointed with Ford, they should've put 2.7EB into Explorer for sure, not a 2.3, its way too small for a big SUV

Honestly, it just seems like a marketing strategy... you dish out 1-2K extra for the i4 (2.0/2.3), but you won't see the return in $$ from fuel savings.

Guarantee you the 2.7 would get same if not better mileage then the 2.3 "in real world driving" yet would be way more effortless and faster. The 2.3 and 2.0 can "get" the mileage rating under their strict epa testing which nobody drives like in 100% optimal conditions, however its easy to still meet epa ratings in other vehicles. Small turbo engines in a heavy vehicle like this will constantly be in boost in normal driving and will suck down fuel.

I agree it is a bs marketing move by Ford. Lets make people pay more for an engine thats slower, and gets worse/same mileage as the V6. I've gotten all my pickups and suvs from the same Ford dealer for over 10 years. When I bought my wife the Fusion with 2.0t, and new of the issues in the Explorer, jokingly asked the guy what he thought and he said they've had a lot of irate customers come back complaining of poor fuel mileage for the small engine "efficient" suv they thought they bought. This was back when I bought the Fusion but he said he just had a customer who owned an 11' V6 and bought the 2.0 Ex for his wife, and couldn't understand why the 2.0 could do no better then the V6 on gas and sometimes worse, they didn't really have an answer for him lol.... what are you supposed to say, Ford screwed the pooch lol?!?

I don't have the Sport anymore, wasn't even looking for one but friend leased a 13' and got into some financial trouble so I took over payments to help and to have something else to drive. Had gone up to the lakehouse with some friends, one that has a 2.0 Ex. Had 4 people in mine, and he had 3, this is sea level flat road South FL. I avg 22.6 mpg, he avg 23.1 , so a half mpg better and way off ratings and way underpowered feeling :thumbdwn: . Return trip back was about the same. Heck the ol' 5.0 I still have can pull down 20-21 highway on that same trip (rwd).

One thing I wish they'd fix is the fuel tank size, its so tiny for an suv this big, hell the Jeep GC is about 25g. I felt like I was constantly filling up the Sport b/c the tank was so small lol. Even the smaller Edge has like an 1-2 gallon larger tank.

I may be in the minority...but i like my 14 sport looks much better then this look

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My moms GC has a 9 speed...hate it...i won;t be buying a newer Ex if it has a 9 that's for sure

Back