Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Bridgestone Blizzaks are the only tire I know of that are great rain and snow tires. They make turn in soft and don't last terribly long. They are also expensive at ~$281 USD on tirerack right now. I loved them on my STi. They were great for snow, rain, gravel, grass, etc. I used to keep two sets of wheels for my daily driver, but the MTRs on my jeep wrangler are great to have all the time. They are crappy for grip on wet pavement, but the solid axles are so horrible on the road that you have to drive slow anyway. :D

I put Pirelli Scorpion all seasons on my wife's explorer a month ago. The Hankook OEM tires were not very good in any amount of snow, and these appear to have much more siping which should perform better for driving on the road in wet conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Winter tire setup

I went with a set of 18" from Discount Tire this past winter, worked great!

(dead link)

The stock hankooks are awful in the snow.

Steel wheels on ebay

I did find a set of alloy 17s but wish I would have found this set up first. Not police wheels but should be well worth the money.
(dead link)

Our 15' Sport was a beast last winter with her 20" Blizzak DM-V1's. Expensive but no regrets.

Wheels for Explorer Sport. Suggestions?

Hi, does anyone have suggestions for nice Rims for my 2016 Explorer Sport (reasonable cost, and winter durable), I am putting on 18 inch winter Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 tires. I just cant stand the thought of ugly steel rims for 5 to 6 months.:ca:
Thanks

Go to the junkyard, pick up some old steel rims, hit them with a can of Rustoleum and you are good to go for the winter. Me, I just mount my winter tires on my original rims. The tire shop mounts the winters and stores my summers for $50. I can't beat that with a stick!

Go to the junkyard, pick up some old steel rims, hit them with a can of Rustoleum and you are good to go for the winter. Me, I just mount my winter tires on my original rims. The tire shop mounts the winters and stores my summers for $50. I can't beat that with a stick!

That was really helpful thanks. Why waste my time if you dont have anything intelligent to say, why bother, life is to short sir. I guess you like hearing yourself speak.

Are you in Canada or the US? Have you checked tirerack, 1010tires and costco?

Ford has a slogan that they will not be undersold on tires (Costco excepted). I bought my Winter tires from the dealer and they were about $20 each cheaper than CTC. I've bought both sets of Winter tires for the Explorer and the MKT from the dealer.

Peter

Ford has a slogan that they will not be undersold on tires (Costco excepted). I bought my Winter tires from the dealer and they were about $20 each cheaper than CTC. I've bought both sets of Winter tires for the Explorer and the MKT from the dealer.

Peter

And,
You get free rotation when you change your oil.
Win/Win.
TW

I found this site. It says free shipping. Wheels look reasonably priced. I have no other idea about them other than google search.
www.canadawheels.ca

Thank you, I checked the site, but the free shipping is only up to $150...always a catch. It will cost me another $150. Just as well to buy local.

I hate everyone. :)

That stinks. We should coordinate with members that are just north and just south of the border so we can place orders for each other when things are cheaper in one place vs he other. I hope you find something reasonable where you are. Maybe Peter or someone in CA can be helpful. Let us know what you decide.

So after 20+ pages of reading im still unsure if 17" steelies will fit my 15 sport.

Looking at a set on ebay with the caps like the one Peter pictured earlier in the thread.

Anyone have any definite answers? Pics?

Thanks

So after 20+ pages of reading im still unsure if 17" steelies will fit my 15 sport.

The recommended "undersized" wheels on TireRack for my 2014 Sport are 18". I'm pretty sure 17" won't fit over your brakes.

20" steel rims for 2016 Explorer

Hi,

I'm trying to get some steel rims for the winter tires, for my new 2016 Explorer.
Interesting enough, I couldn't find any tire/wheels vendor having something like that. Most of them are saying that is too new model and they do not have it in the catalog. Any advice here?
Your answers would be highly appreciated:)

Dragos

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

I'm trying to get some steel rims for the winter tires, for my new 2016 Explorer.
Interesting enough, I couldn't find any tire/wheels vendor having something like that. Most of them are saying that is too new model and they do not have it in the catalog. Any advice here?
Your answers would be highly appreciated:)

Dragos
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Why not get the 18" steel Interceptor wheels from your dealer? I think I paid around $88 per wheel. 18" tires are also much cheaper than 20".
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3352615&postcount=301

Also it would be helpful if you added the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Back